WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,700 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am thinking of buying a 2221 and was wondering how often service is recommended and approximate costs. I'm assuming just changing out the battery doesn't cost much but they probably recommend having the seals/gaskets redone etc. I don't go swimming at all and don't wear my watches in the shower so I'm not too worried about replacing my gaskets every time I change out my battery. But is there anything else they do to the internals on a full service? Or on a quartz, is a full service basically whenever I want to send it in to have all the scratches and everything buffed out?

I know it's about $485 now for service on a 2500 movement and what it entails and it's recommended every 5 years or so. I was looking for some similar info to that on a quartz watch.

·
Premium Member
11,965 Posts
I owned a SMP quartz as my daily wearer and main dive watch for several years. I always had a certified watchmaker replace the battery and never used Renata (aka "Leak Central"). He would check the gaskets for any deterioration and add a little grease. The watch performed perfectly down to 50m on countless dives. Now, of course, I have the watches pressure tested to ensure water resistance to the rated depth, but my watchmaker at the time did not have that capability (this was back in the '90s). Batteries need to be replaced more often than a mechanical watch needs to be serviced, so I wouldn't change the gaskets on a battery change unless there was a good reason.

The only reason for anything more elaborate with your quartz would be if it malfunctioned for some reason. But that's a different thing altogether.

·
Registered
312 Posts
Omega's quartz movements do have some jewels that require lubrication. While most likely not as frequent as a mechanical movement, it will need service at some point. Maybe someone with more knowledge (Archer) can chime in and set us straight.

·
Registered
876 Posts
About $160 here in Canada at Swatch. Battery replacement only, partial service is included which means checking the movement and pressure testing and replacement of crown as any seals if necessary.
In my particular case the battery, checks, test, crown, and 3 new gasket replacements were included.
Just had my Mom's SMP quartz done.
Some say you are ok with a $20 battery replacement by a qualified watch maker. Most don't have the right size tool and hence will scratch up your caseback. I am a proponent of the Swatch route, as per above work this gave me peace of mind.

·
Premium Member
11,965 Posts
Some say you are ok with a $20 battery replacement by a qualified watch maker. Most don't have the right size tool and hence will scratch up your caseback. I am a proponent of the Swatch route, as per above work this gave me peace of mind.
A qualified watchmaker will always have the proper tools or will decline the engagement for lack of same. A hack will take your money and scratch your caseback. There is a world of difference between the two.

·
Registered
6,645 Posts
battery swap, IC check, Gasket change, dry and a wet pressure test.

20 dollar will get the battery swap at a mall but not the rest.

·
Registered
194 Posts
battery swap, IC check, Gasket change, dry and a wet pressure test.

20 dollar will get the battery swap at a mall but not the rest.
Can a/will a jeweler (authorized for Omega service, obviously) do this for a walk-in, or do you have to leave your quartz watch with them for a couple of days/weeks like when an automatic is serviced?

·
Registered
8,403 Posts
I am thinking of buying a 2221 and was wondering how often service is recommended and approximate costs. I'm assuming just changing out the battery doesn't cost much but they probably recommend having the seals/gaskets redone etc. I don't go swimming at all and don't wear my watches in the shower so I'm not too worried about replacing my gaskets every time I change out my battery. But is there anything else they do to the internals on a full service? Or on a quartz, is a full service basically whenever I want to send it in to have all the scratches and everything buffed out?

I know it's about $485 now for service on a 2500 movement and what it entails and it's recommended every 5 years or so. I was looking for some similar info to that on a quartz watch.
I would not recommend taking a good quartz watch to the kid behind the counter at the mall. Typically these places don't have the equipment to open the case without damage, perform electrical checks on the movement (which I do with every battery swap - see photo below for an example), and have the correct seals for the case and pressure testing equipment. Better to find a watchmaker who can do this work for you - it will be more than at the mall, but if you work with an independent it won't cost near what Swatch charges.

Quartz watches do need servicing eventually. Just like with a mechanical watch, this involves disassembling the movement completely, cleaning the parts of the movement that are meant to be cleaned, reassembly, and lubrication. Then of course all the electrical tests, and new cell and pressure testing. A quartz watch will not typically require servicing nearly as often as a mechnical watch will, because the forces are very small, and of very short duration when compared to a mechanical watch where the forces on the pivots are constant when the watch is running.

Hope this helps.

Cheers, Al

·
Registered
1,700 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
I would not recommend taking a good quartz watch to the kid behind the counter at the mall. Typically these places don't have the equipment to open the case without damage, perform electrical checks on the movement (which I do with every battery swap - see photo below for an example), and have the correct seals for the case and pressure testing equipment. Better to find a watchmaker who can do this work for you - it will be more than at the mall, but if you work with an independent it won't cost near what Swatch charges.

Quartz watches do need servicing eventually. Just like with a mechanical watch, this involves disassembling the movement completely, cleaning the parts of the movement that are meant to be cleaned, reassembly, and lubrication. Then of course all the electrical tests, and new cell and pressure testing. A quartz watch will not typically require servicing nearly as often as a mechnical watch will, because the forces are very small, and of very short duration when compared to a mechanical watch where the forces on the pivots are constant when the watch is running.

Hope this helps.

Cheers, Al
Thanks for the detailed response Archer. I was figuring on having a watchmaker change the battery every 3 years or so when it needs it and sending it to Omega for a full service every 10 years or so. That sound about right to you?

I wasn't planning on going to a mall kiosk so no worries there. I did a bit of searching and it seems that there's watchmaker relatively near me - http://www.herndonclockandwatch.com/ . The fact that the main watch on their homepage is an Omega SMP has to be a sign.

·
Registered
6,645 Posts
Can a/will a jeweler (authorized for Omega service, obviously) do this for a walk-in, or do you have to leave your quartz watch with them for a couple of days/weeks like when an automatic is serviced?
depends on the place really, some model like the SMP300 they have tons of spare part like gasket and seals, but for some other model such as connie they will probably not stock parts nearly as much as the more popular model(at least in the state). I would give them a call first, generally it's much faster than mechancial watch service for sure.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts