WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey folks. Looking for points of view on servicing my 3717. It has not been serviced yet and is surely due. A couple of questions:

Would you send it to IWC or would you trust a "good, or known" watch shop?
Does anyone know what IWC charges for such as service (I'm guessing around $500, but not sure)
Does anyone know how long the watch is likely to stay at IWC (I have heard that it can take months).

Thanks for your input

·
Registered
724 Posts
https://www.iwc.com/content/dam/service/service-prices/Service_Prices_USD.pdf

Simple chrono should be $600+ on leather or $680+ on metal bracelet. Something tells me you should add at least 20% but I'm not really basing it on fact, just a feeling.

You could probably get away for less with a independent watchmaker but if it was me I'd probably send it to IWC, thinking it helps it keep it's value and probably they'd make sure it's regulated to +/- 1 sec a day. Maybe unreasonable but just my opinion.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I sent my 3777 into the IWC service center in Fort Worth for service at the 3 year point (I had dropped it and it was losing about 20 seconds per day). They charged me $400 for the service with complete case polish. My watch did not require any parts be replaced, so that probably helped keep the costs down.

·
Registered
41,222 Posts
You got yourself a deal.
I sent my 3777 into the IWC service center in Fort Worth for service at the 3 year point (I had dropped it and it was losing about 20 seconds per day). They charged me $400 for the service with complete case polish. My watch did not require any parts be replaced, so that probably helped keep the costs down.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the advice everyone. I think I will send it to the manufacturer. The 3717 is so versatile for me that it's a keeper....so why not. Thanks again

·
Registered
4 Posts
In my experience - I did it twice - the IWC service is horrible!
They repaired the watch and replaced a wrong crown my GST Alarm (without a fish), and water permeated inside! they did not really apologise. I have been without a watch for almost a year...

·
Registered
315 Posts
In my experience - I did it twice - the IWC service is horrible!
They repaired the watch and replaced a wrong crown my GST Alarm (without a fish), and water permeated inside! they did not really apologise. I have been without a watch for almost a year...
Terrible - not something I'd expect from even an independent service! They owe you a replacement

·
Registered
37 Posts
IWC serviced my Doppel 3713 in Sept. was like $650 or so, and it included a new crown. I requested no polish/refinish. They did clean everything though. Came back looking clean and working within spec. They even sent it back in a travel case holder. I would say about a 3 week turnaround time.

I would send to IWC for service again, no issues.

·
Registered
Speedmaster coaxial on Forstner Komfit
2,045 Posts
That is good to hear, stormshadow, both the good result and the fast turnaround. How did the communication with IWC (the texas service center, I assume?) go? And did you send the watch in directly, or did you go through an AD or boutique?

·
Registered
37 Posts
I sent it directly. Put in a service request via the IWC support site, online, and they sent me a shipping kit.

They sent me tracking notifications, and once my watch articles, they let me know the watchmaker had it on their desk. Few hours later, I had a diagnosis and a quote.

Approved the quote (online), and they sent me a notification of when it was done. Paid the service fee and they shipped it back.

Very good experience.

·
Registered
2,045 Posts
Thanks for the info! I dropped mine off at the Chicago boutique, and haven't heard anything more since the initial confirmation (after nine days) that IWC has the watch, but I'm not going to sweat it: the watch is with IWC, probably in Texas or maybe in Switzerland, and it will be done when it is done. Hopefully this year...

·
Registered
2,045 Posts
Follow-up: I picked up the watch today, and it looks as good as before (which I was hoping for), and the rate is much improved. Time will tell whether they also fixed the chronograph clutch engagement problem.
Email communication did not work at all.
More details at IWC Service, WTH? .

·
Registered
2,045 Posts
Update: they did not fix the chronograph clutch engagement problem. About every 100th time, the clutch will get stuck with two pairs of teeth in tooth-to-tooth contact, i.e. instead of falling into a valley, the teeth sit on top of the teeth of the opposing wheel.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts