WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

Service regularly or wait until issues arise?

• Regular service every 4 or 5 years

Votes: 25 39.1%
  • Wait until watch shows signs of trouble then service it.

Votes: 39 60.9%
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
2,132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Servicing an automatic Doxa can be costly. I know that for the most part most of our Doxa’s are only a few years old. But, I recently purchased a 300T Reissue and it is around servicing time. So I ask should I send it back for servicing or wait until a problem occurs? :oops:

I can say that it currently gains 3 seconds a day. This is well within COSC specs. :-d :-d

·
Rolex / Tudor
14,596 Posts
Servicing an automatic Doxa can be costly. I know that for the most part most of our Doxa’s are only a few years old. But, I recently purchased a 300T Reissue and it is around servicing time. So I ask should I send it back for servicing or wait until a problem occurs? :oops:

I can say that it currently gains 3 seconds a day. This is well within COSC specs. :-d :-d
For me, it depends. I have several Doxas that I do not plan on wearing in the next 5 years. I do not plan to have them serviced. With my son's GMT Pro, (he is 4 right now) I plan to send it in for service in 18-20 years right before I give it to him.

Right now I have 4 Doxas on the winder and one on the wrist. I do plan on having all five serviced in 5 years. I know it will be expensive, but maybe they will give me a 5-watch discount.

Another thing to consider is water resistance. You should have this checked as well (more frequently?). Especially if you take it diving which I plan to continue doing.

·
Registered
11,826 Posts
You left out the option of "it depends". Personally, my theory is "if it ain't broke, don't fix it"*. But this is about as subjective an issue as "winder or no winder". I've heard of people going 20 years and more without service to an automatic.

Then again, Doxa does recommend every five years I think. And who knows better than them how to care for their product? Also keep in mind, that what is a minor issue and is caught and taken care of in routine maintenance could turn into a major repair if let to run it's course.

*My one caveat to this is as Jason said, diving. I subscribe to the theory that a pressure check for a watch used in diving is cheap insurance, and feel this should be done at least every two years, every year if the watch is worn daily, used roughly or in harsh conditions (exceptionally hot, cold or dusty). JMO.

·
Registered
1,191 Posts
The big issues are use and usage. If you dive, you need routine pressure checks, these can be done by any watchmaker that has invested in the equipment and would not include service on the movement. As to movement service, it depends on how much use and the working conditions of the watch. The modern synthetic lubricants last far longer than they did in the recent past so cleaning and lubrication are not as critical as they used to be.The more watches you own and the frequency of use changes the service intervals. If you own 12 watches and give them equal time that means you are using it one month per year. The movement should be just broken in after about five years.

Joe

·
Registered
364 Posts
Completely agree with having the watch pressure tested if you dive with it. I think that if you wear the watch regularly like I do (diving, daily, work, etc.) then you should adhere to the service interval recommended. To build on T Bone's point, I think that it's like a car - regular servicing can go a long way to preventing a serious problem if the car isn't serviced at all.

Just my two cents...

Cheers,

Avi

·
Registered
908 Posts
Do they service the cosmetics of the watch as well? You know, remove scartches, scuffs, re-satin/re-polish etc.... Because if they do, I definetely think its worth it every4 or 5 years to keep her looking like new! What do you guys think?

·
Registered
42 Posts
I have had my Rolex serviced and it came back pristine! They literally take it apart and rebuild it, replacing everything that is worn. Maybe even more important, they remove all the old lubricant and replace that with 2007 brand lubricant. It was costly, but for $375 I got a factory fresh, like new Rolex.

One caveat, if your watch has ANYTHING that you do not want changed or replaced (the face, any "patina" that you do not want removed, etc.), you need to make that real clear BEFORE sending it. Most "full services" will probably take your 20 year old face, if needed, and replace it with the current one that is being used:think:

·
Registered
11,826 Posts
Heard of a guy with a Double Red $ea Dweller that sent it in for service.... got back a "new" dial :-d. Talk about being PO'd!

·
Registered
319 Posts
Servicing regularly, every 5 years will keep your watch in top condition. Remember guys, there are O-ring seals in your dive watches, and lube and oil as well. I'd hate to see your car if you didn't service it regularly!

·
Registered
13,418 Posts
for me, part of the fun of watch collecting is...

the amazingly intricate mechanisms called movements, and how they can smoothly and accurately translate the winding motion via a bunch of gears and pivots to the hands. I can't imagine this happening without some periodic effort by me to ensure that the movement is taken care of.
DW

·
Registered
42 Posts
Re: for me, part of the fun of watch collecting is...

I could not agree more. Why wait to service one's car until it breaks? 'nuff said:)

·
Registered
42 Posts
I think a lot depends on how much money are you willing to spend? How old is it? Is it in a drawer when it is not on your wrist? Is it on a winder? How much does it get banged up? Has it always gained 3 sec/day or is this different from 1 year ago?

For me, I am solvent enough that I would do preventative maintenance now rather than face a broke watch and a repair bill. Even if the costs are equal, you get so much more with the maintenance servicing. ( see my post from 2 days ago @ 19:11).

Good luck:)

BTW- it is interesting how the poll was overwhelmingly in favor of NOT doing routine maint. when it first appeared, now it is close to even, given the sample size!

·
Registered
908 Posts
It seems like there might be quite a few of in the medical profession floating around this forum. I actually just started my second year of medical school last month in sunny south Florida, and as it turns out, there are 3 of us in my class with DOXA's!!! Two of my friends have 750 GMT's a shark and a pro, and Ive got a 750T sharkhunter!! I got mine a month ago and I just cant get enough!! Anyhow, its good to know we're well represented!

mike

I think a lot depends on how much money are you willing to spend? How old is it? Is it in a drawer when it is not on your wrist? Is it on a winder? How much does it get banged up? Has it always gained 3 sec/day or is this different from 1 year ago?

For me, I am solvent enough that I would do preventative maintenance now rather than face a broke watch and a repair bill. Even if the costs are equal, you get so much more with the maintenance servicing. ( see my post from 2 days ago @ 19:11).

Good luck:)

BTW- it is interesting how the poll was overwhelmingly in favor of NOT doing routine maint. when it first appeared, now it is close to even, given the sample size!

·
Registered
42 Posts
Welcome, to both clubs:-!

·
Registered
Sinn 103 ST Diapal
185 Posts
Servicing regularly, every 5 years will keep your watch in top condition. Remember guys, there are O-ring seals in your dive watches, and lube and oil as well. I'd hate to see your car if you didn't service it regularly!
totally agree with TKite, the watchmovement can absolutely be compared to engines of cars, the only difference is that the engine of a watch,the movement is running 24/7, 365 days,if this is the only watch you are using. A little thought; the second wheel,where the second hand is fitted to,moves one round pr minute,60 rounds in an hour,1440 rounds in a day,525600 rounds in a year and after 5 years? 2628000 rounds. My saying is; of course it's important to do the needed service at least every 5 years. A car's engine isn't at all running this often,and we do have them for service much more often than every 5 years.

·
Registered
1,191 Posts
I have seven watches with The 2824-2 movement and a bunch of Seiko's that I enjoy wearing. I wear them in batches sort of like Jason rotates his watches. I have a 600T Pro that will be five next year. I may or may not send it in for factory service as it's not on a winder and is not my only watch. It has gotten more wrist time than most, however not that much more. The fact that it's keeping perfect time is another consideration. I'm not using it for diving so that's another consideration. I think the servicing recommendations are just that. You have a certain amount of flexibility especially since the watch lubricants aren't nearly the critical factor that they used to be. The 2824-2 is not a hothouse flower that has to be pampered.I have heard of Seikos ( and I believe the ETA is just as robust a movement) that are running fine after more than 10 years without service. The other way you look at the servicing is that it's like buying a new 300 to 400 dollar watch every five years. This is definitely not justified on a 150 to 250 dollar Seiko and is really only justifiable on a $2000 or more watch. Anyhow those are my thoughts on the matter.

Joe

·
Registered
272 Posts
With 15 watches in the drawer and regular rotation, I'll be servicing at around the 10-15 year mark I figure.

I'll service, but I'm going to go long because the watches spend a fair amount of the week idle.

·
Registered
4 Posts
totally agree with TKite, the watchmovement can absolutely be compared to engines of cars, the only difference is that the engine of a watch,the movement is running 24/7, 365 days,if this is the only watch you are using. A little thought; the second wheel,where the second hand is fitted to,moves one round pr minute,60 rounds in an hour,1440 rounds in a day,525600 rounds in a year and after 5 years? 2628000 rounds. My saying is; of course it's important to do the needed service at least every 5 years. A car's engine isn't at all running this often,and we do have them for service much more often than every 5 years.
Watch movement = Car engine???

Lets say a car engine averages 3000rpm, thats 180,000 revolutions in an hour. So in 14.6 hours the car engine does the same number of revolutions as the fastest moving hand on a continuously worn watch does in 5 years. It also does this at extremes of temperature and sometimes under massive stress.

Do you service your car every 14 hours of running time?

1 - 20 of 33 Posts