WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
633 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I own two "Khaki Mechanicals", one of which is running really fast, about 1 and a half MINUTES fast a day (if memory serves me). It is a H694190 and I love the aesthetics of the watch and the fact that isn't another blasted automatic! (Why don't more manufacturers make good affordable hand winders?!) To my knowledge it has not been dropped, exposed to strong magnetic fields or anything. It being a circa $220 watch, I don't want to spend as much on servicing as I paid for the watch.

I live in a rural area in Colorado and don't have ready access to a watch repair shop.

My question are:

1. Is there a reliable, yet affordable, repair shop I can send the watch to for repair that you here can recommend?

2. Or, am I better off selling it to someone that can repair it themselves?

3. What percentage of the value of the watch would you guys (and girls) would not go above having a watch serviced?

I ask not only for this H694190, but also for other sub-$500 watches in my collection. Honestly, this is ALL of the watches in my collection. :)

P.S. I also have a H695190 that has a stiff crown. You don't feel the ratcheting when you wind it, it doesn't give a nice "click" when you pull it out, and it rolls back slightly when winding. So I'd like to have it serviced as well.

·
Registered
4,717 Posts
I would get it demagnetized first. Cheapest thing to do, then go from there.

·
Premium Member
5,031 Posts
^^^ This. Buy a $10 demagnetizer from Amazon and give it a shot first.

·
Registered
633 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I thought that it might have been magnetized despite my being careful to avoid that. I'm afraid of damaging it further by doing it incorrectly. Is that a possibility?

P.S. I have a H695190 that has a stiff crown. You don't feel the ratcheting when you wind it, it doesn't give a nice "click" when you pull it out, and it rolls back slightly when winding. So I'd like to have it serviced as well.

·
Premium Member
71,355 Posts
If you really tried you could make the magnetism worse but you wouldn't damage the watch. To make the magnetism worse you'd really have to try hard.

·
Registered
633 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I'm wary of cheap Chinese electronics. Can anyone suggest some other brands/makes of de-magnatizers that are made specifically for watches, preferably not made by a fly by night company? I'd also like to get a timer graph, but don't have a huge amount of cash. I tried an app for an iPhone from Kello, and it works okay, but the microphone has to be really sensitive for divers and other thick cased watches.

·
Banned
3,438 Posts
I'd run it by Kelly Hunter from Art of the Watch. He lives in my area, but I still mail everything to him as that's his preference. He's generally pretty good about giving you a rough estimate before you send it in, if possible.

·
Registered
633 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I'd run it by Kelly Hunter from Art of the Watch. He lives in my area, but I still mail everything to him as that's his preference. He's generally pretty good about giving you a rough estimate before you send it in, if possible.
Do you have a way for me to contact him?

·
Registered
633 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I've contacted a couple of reputable watch repair places online and the prices are about what the watch cost new! Now, I've got a dilemma. Either bite the bullet and get it serviced, or sell it and buy a brand new one. What the hey?! No one ever said this was an inexpensive hobby! What would you guys do?

·
Registered
633 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
They aren't cheap, but I took my grandfathers Omega Constellation to be serviced at Hyde Park Jewelers and they did a FANTASTIC job. I believe they can have jobs shipped as well.

YMMV

Denver, CO | Hyde Park Jewelers
Mr. Bodin at Hyde Park Jewelers took a look at the humble Hamilton I have and returned it with a dramatic improvement in accuracy. After 24 hours, it was only 4 seconds off, not too shabby at all! Thank you very much for the reference and I was sure to mention you to them. My humble Hamilton is back in action for timekeeping, and isn't that the purpose of a watch in the first place?! Cheers!

·
Registered
158 Posts
It’s not financially worth it to do any kind of extensive service on a contemporary watch worth a couple hundred bucks. Better to just buy a new one. That said if the watch holds sentimental value then by all means get it serviced,

1 - 15 of 15 Posts