WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

Servicing a Japan domestic market watch outside of Japan...

2K views 4 replies 3 participants last post by  drewmcd24 
#1 ·
I recently picked up a second hand Sumo on the sales corner. There are a few scratches on the bezel, and I figured it would be easy to source a new one. Boy was I wrong. I can't find a replacement bezel for this thing anywhere. It's not really a big deal though. I can live with the scratches, but it's got me wondering; where can I service this watch when the time comes? I live in the US, and the Sumo is a JDM watch. Is there anyone in the US that will be able to get parts? Will I have to send it to Seiko Japan? Will they accept it if I do send it to them at some point?

Thanks in advance for your feedback. :-!

#2 ·
Hi congrats, Sumo is a great watch. :-!

You got a few choices. Parts are hard to come by, but if its scratches on the bezel insert, can be swapped.
Get an aftermarket bezel insert from Yobokies. He's got a few different styles if you choose other than OEM.

Sumo is too new, so its hard to find parts other than Seiko. I tried sourcing a chapter ring and that was impossible.

Servicing. A few guys. Jack at IWW, Randall Benson, Jay at MCWW.
You could also try Seiko USA and have them send to Japan, or contact one of the 3 amigos in Japan for sending back to Seiko Japan.

For simple service like a gasket/crystal/bezel insert/regulate any reputable local watchmaker could work on it.
For warranty, full service movement, send it to Seiko Japan. Takes a while, but its JDM, gotta go back to motherland for best results.

enjoy the sumo.

#3 ·
Thanks for the reply sharkfin. I'm glad I've at least got some service options here as long as I don't need parts. Do you think replacement parts will eventually become more widespread and easier to get?

#4 · (Edited)
Do you think replacement parts will eventually become more widespread and easier to get?
We have heard that Seiko is enhancing their USA service capabilities now that the GS line is officially offered here. So we can only hope that this signals a willingness to also stock parts and service other jdm pieces. Hope springs eternal.
Jack serviced my mm300 awhile ago.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.