WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
738 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have had this poljot for a little while now but I have finally serviced yesterday. when I had first received it the crystal was broken and cracked and the dial was very dirty as if the previous owner had kept wearing the watch when the crystal was broken. There was alot of dirt and green waxy substance in the dial and around the movement ring. I ordered a crystal for it a few weeks ago because I don't have crystals larger than 32mm in size. even in its bad condition it was running well, within a minute per day but I decided to service it because you never know it's true condition until you disassemble the movement. there was some rust on the pivots and pinions and a huge gouge in the leaves of the center wheel pinion. I think it left the factory this way because even a watchbreaker like me could not have caused this much damage to the center wheel let alone a watchmaker. Even with the damaged center wheel the movement ticks along as if nothing is wrong. watchmaking is has some magic involved, especially with disappearing parts, now you see it now you don't:-x. I had removed the cap jewel and spring on the escape wheel and when it was time to put it back on I cleaned the cap jewel and put a drop of oil on it and when I went to get the spring(stuck to a piece of rodico) I couldn't find it. hours later after I had already given up on finding it I was cleaning up the workspace aka dining table and decided to search for it one last time and I found the spring in the middle of a worn watch crystal I use to store used rodico :-d. then it took me 15 min just to finally get the spring clipped back in, oiling and clipping the spring of the balance jewels were easy compared to this.
here is link to full sized picture http://pevthg.bay.livefilestore.com...5C4x-2OB_xEbIA6GfL/allImagecollage.jpg?psid=1

·
Registered
411 Posts
Dial is dead.
It's not worth to even service this watch in my opinion.
except maybe for educating purposes.

·
Registered
1,380 Posts
Comrade Itri,

Nice job and photos! I envy you. I wish I could service watches... The only time I tried I lost one of the balance pivot jewels by sneezing (like Woody Allen). Then my wife vacuumed the floor... That effectively ended my watchmaking career...

·
Registered
2,544 Posts
Nice watch and nice job, Itri! (I think YG1 doesn't get it, though...)

Reactions: redfever

·
Registered
2,544 Posts
By the way, Okeah, the solution to the problem of lost parts is to be persistent. You lose one part. You lose another. And another.

Eventually, you reach a sort of equilibrium: for every part you lose, you find one. Almost certainly not the part you were looking for, but at least you find something. It makes things interesting.

·
Registered
2,497 Posts
Oh c'mon. The dial is not dead - the watch is fine enough for a soviet watches collection. Not anything big, not for someone who want premium conditions, but not a candidate for trash bin too.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Nice job Itri! Another proud old watch is back amongst the live and ticking!

What do you use for cleaning movements and jewels?

Have you tried cleaning the dial? There's probably not much harm in trying unless the paint is as fragile as Vostok's.

The "disappearing and re-appearing parts and tools" effect is odd isn't it?
I attribute it to one of the following:
1- The part is there all the time and for some reason like oh, maybe BRAIN DAMAGE I didn't see it. This is too obvious to be the case.
2- The part disappeared into a different dimension or parallel universe, perhaps for a cup of tea.
3- The part stayed put and I disappeared into a different identical dimension except without the part!
4- The part was borrowed by inter-dimensional beings for some purpose or other. Fortunately, they almost always put it back when they're done.

Have Fun,
Good Luck,
Keri

PS. Something else seems odd about working with very tiny parts. They sometimes seem to levitate, suspended just above the jewel or screw hole.

So far I haven't had anything shoot across the room and get lost. A very gentle grip on the tweezers works for me. If a part drops, it goes down and not away. Wearing an apron or long skirt helps to catch stuff that drops.

·
Registered
2,544 Posts
I tried wearing a long skirt. My wife had issues.

·
Registered
207 Posts
LOL, phd!

Sounds like a volunteer for watch repair duties to me! :-d

Have Fun,
Keri

·
Registered
738 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
What do you use for cleaning movements and jewels?
mostly household items
I use 91% isopropyl alcohol to clean bridges and plates and zippo lighter fluid to clean balance, pallet fork, and gears.
I used sharpened toothpicks to peg out the pivots and to clean the leaves of the pinions.
coffee filters to lay parts on to dry.

Have you tried cleaning the dial? There's probably not much harm in trying unless the paint is as fragile as Vostok's.
The thing is pictures you see of the dial is after the dial had been cleaned. I had cleaned the dial and case months ago when I first got the watch. You should have seen the dial and inside of case, it was covered with nasty green waxy stuff. the black pitting you see on the dial is corrosion and paint loss.

·
Registered
40 Posts

·
Registered
483 Posts
Well, the one at Ranfft also states it is a 15 jewel movement which together with the 1 MChZ (1. Moscow Watch Factory) stamp makes me believe that it's a earlier version of the 2409.

The movement in the Ebay image looks fairly typical to me, probably a later export version (Latin alphabet, 17 jewels as usual, less stampings). I'd say it's OK.

Topi

·
Registered
766 Posts
itri - Nice job! I just restored 2409 myself last weekend. Now it's on Classifieds, because I don't really need it, just wanted to bring it back to life :) If I were you I wouldn't make a statement that no one could damage that center wheel. You should of seen things I damaged when I was learning watchmaking :) If center wheel causes a problem, PM me, I may have a spare. Either way, nice watch. Dial is somewhat "tired", but definitely not dead.

KeriJane - wow, a lady-watchmaker in my neighborhood?

·
Registered
2,290 Posts
Great job! Nice to say a neglected little mechanical device like this brought back to functionality! Hopefully it finds a better home than the last.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts