WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone know if individuals outside Germany can adequately service a Stowa watch? I'm thinking about buying one, but want to see if local watchmakers will be able to service it in Northern California.

·
Registered
312 Posts
I believe all stowa watches use ETA
movements, so pretty much any competent watch maker will have no problem repairing/getting parts for your watch!

·
Registered
1,381 Posts
Stowa uses ETA movements (they don't do any modification on the movement,they just buy them how you see them) so I don't see any reason why any qualified watchmen could not properly service any movement used by Stowa :think:

It will even be cheaper to service a watch in US for you |>

·
Moderator Emeritus
54,635 Posts
Stowa uses ETA movements (they don't do any modification on the movement,they just buy them how you see them) so I don't see any reason why any qualified watchmen could not properly service any movement used by Stowa :think:

It will even be cheaper to service a watch in US for you |>
Do not agree with your statement, Stowa does use modified ETA movements:

The Marine Chrono uses a modified ETA/Valjoux 7753 as featured with the Chrono 1938 too.

The Flieger Chrono houses a modified ETA/Valjoux 7753 as well (which is obvious, isn't it, as the dial layout suggests)

Flieger_Chrono_4.jpg

The Antea 41 ETA/Unitas movement will come with a screw balance and a swan neck fine adjustment (not the ETA standard).

The FO came with a modified (center seconds hand) and hacking Unitas.

The Marine Original Durowe features a modified ETA/Unitas as well.

Specs:

Durowe 7440 handwinding movement, Basic Unitas 6498,
optional swan neck regulator, optional screw balance
18,000 A/H
Power Reserve: min. 45 hours
Number of jewels: 17 synthetic rubies
Finish: screw balance, swan neck regulator, blued screws

·
Registered
454 Posts
I recently sent my FO1 directly from US to Stowa for sevice. The watch was held in German Customs for more than a week, and only with great deal of help from the Stowa staff (all props to them, especially Fanny who went back and forth with the custom office every day for a week) it was finally released and shipped to Engelsbrand. The prices are, I think, reasonable in the range of 100-150 Euro for complete service and for what is likely the most modified of all their movements. That being said, if I had a watch with 2824 or 2801, I would not bother sending it all the way to Germany simply to avoid costs and trouble (I am going to pay more than 150 dollars in shipping costs when all is said and done) for something that can surely be done in the local watchmakers shop.

·
Registered
1,381 Posts
Stowa orders them from ETA this way,they don't take the movements and modify them,this is what I wanted to say.
ETA produces them for Stowa (Stowa does not even sign them).

·
Moderator Emeritus
54,635 Posts
Stowa orders them from ETA this way,they don't take the movements and modify them,this is what I wanted to say.
ETA produces them for Stowa (Stowa does not even sign them).
The Unitas movements are not sourced from ETA, please read about the difficulties Stowa had when a business partner died. Again, the Durowe is a modified ETA and the modification is done in-house. and not by ETA.

·
Registered
1,381 Posts
copy/paste from e-mail I received from Stowa:

Dear Mr.(my name)

thank you for your email.

Please be informed that we get the ETA 6498 as it is.

We get the Unitas 6498 movement in a very nice finish:

Finish: Geneve Stripes finish, screw balance, swan neck regulator, blued screws, golden STOWA engraving

Please find picture shown below.

best regards

Luisa Dieterle

Don't get me wrong,I love Stowa and I own Marine Original Limited Edition.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Regardless of the informative yet extraneous details (for the OP's purpose) of the movements, modifications etc. The basic answer is that yes, a competent watchmaker can easily service any Stowa.

·
Registered
1,374 Posts
Can any competent watchmaker remove any caseback? Some Stowas have screwed on backs with unique wrench patterns, others have screws holding the back in place. Does the watchmaker need special tools to remove it? Also, what about the gaskets? Some watches have uncommon case sizes like 41mm-- will getting the right size gasket be an issue?

I recently bought the Marine 6425 and want the crown stem worked on because it's too long. My watchmaker (who I have faith in) says its an easy fix, but I wonder if I should go through the trouble of shipping it to Stowa or having it done locally.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Can any competent watchmaker remove any caseback? Some Stowas have screwed on backs with unique wrench patterns, others have screws holding the back in place. Does the watchmaker need special tools to remove it? Also, what about the gaskets? Some watches have uncommon case sizes like 41mm-- will getting the right size gasket be an issue?

I recently bought the Marine 6425 and want the crown stem worked on because it's too long. My watchmaker (who I have faith in) says its an easy fix, but I wonder if I should go through the trouble of shipping it to Stowa or having it done locally.
Many casebacks require unique tools. If they have the tools, then it's simple. If they don't then you may run into problems.

I've run into good watchmakers that have tools and service lots of vintage movements (can fabricate parts if needed).

I've run into those that primarily service ETA, have little formal education (but will take work even if they can't do it correctly).

It takes some digging to identify the difference.

·
Registered
141 Posts
I will be sending mine to Stowa for servicing for these reasons:

- I don't know of any good watchmakers near by who I can trust to service the watch.

- As servicing is not done very often (4/5 years), the extra cost of sending it to Stowa is worth it to me, and I know they will take good care of my watch and do a great job.

- They can engrave it for me whilst it's being serviced

- The customer service and response to emails I have had from Stowa over the years has been second to none. It really is fantastic. So on this basis, I dont care if it costs me £100 extra in shipping fees. As i said above, £100 extra every 5 years for servicing is nothing to me, and is worth it to ensure a proper job by proper people :)

·
Registered
1,374 Posts
Many casebacks require unique tools. If they have the tools, then it's simple. If they don't then you may run into problems.
Here's a pic (not my pic) of the caseback on the 6425. If it requires a special wrench, I doubt most watchmakers have it. Do they ever use putty to remove the back?

What about gaskets? Are specific gaskets needed for specific watch brands and case sizes?

·
Registered
2,877 Posts
DaveInLA said:
Here's a pic (not my pic) of the caseback on the 6425. If it requires a special wrench, I doubt most watchmakers have it. Do they ever use putty to remove the back?

What about gaskets? Are specific gaskets needed for specific watch brands and case sizes?
It requires a case back opener. Watchmakers open case backs for a living. A jeweler might not be able to, but a "watchmaker" will.

·
Registered
39 Posts

I am not sure what tools are common. Their are universal methods to remove a caseback with a sticky ball, but I wouldn't trust it to seal the watch back water-tight. It should be pressure tested after being resealed. A gasket is typically a common item and they will have sets in many sizes.

I live in the DC region and I have found one watchmaker I trust after a lot of research. I talked to two that promised they can do the work without even looking inside the watch, but couldn't show proof of education or certification. And one jewelry store told me I couldn't meet the watchmaker, I could only leave the watch and he'd get me a quote in two weeks. It's a very buyer beware market and it is important to check credentials to weed out the ones that own some screwdrivers and a timing machine from a real watchmaker.

American Watchmaker-Clockmakers Institute (AWCI) does have listings, but I only use it as a guide along with trying to find real reviews. AWCI - Find a Professional - American Watchmakers-Clockmakers Institute | American Watchmakers - Clockmakers Institute

Sending to Stowa is certainly the safer bet, but if you own many mechanical watches, I think it is worth the effort to find someone you trust nearby and establish a good relationship.

·
Moderator Emeritus
54,635 Posts
The 6498 which is housed in the MO and shortly in the Antea KS 41 is supplied by ETA, the FO Unitas 6497 was not.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Hi, can someone tell me (via PM if needed) how much Stowa charges for servicing a Marine Original? Work on the case (e.g. polishing the bezel) costs extra, I guess? Many thanks!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts