WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
1,609 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I finally came up with a camera and lighting system to show watch servicing. I did some test videos in a thread earlier to test the image quality. It took me this long to get to making the first one.

Keep in mind I am not a professional watchmaker or videographer, I'm just trying to help whenever I can. I hope to add more videos in the coming weeks. I appreciate any feedback.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wh7zEfE4P10

·
Registered
2,729 Posts
Re: Servicing video

nice video! very educative, but I think you made a little mistake with the movement number, if I'm not mistaking that one is a 2409, the 2209 is smaller and has a different design, found mostly on Tonneaus

·
Registered
1,325 Posts

that is pretty cool, and it is fun to hear your commentary. i have followed you and a lot of the other regulars on the Russian watches forum, over the last few years, even when you went by another name and sent Vlad around the world. several of you do your own servicing of your Russians watches, and that inspired me to also start to learn. i have done a time-zone class, but have not done a full service on my own watches yet. this is getting me inspired to get working on them, i look forward to more videos.

·
Registered
1,609 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

nice video! very educative, but I think you made a little mistake with the movement number, if I'm not mistaking that one is a 2409, the 2209 is smaller and has a different design, found mostly on Tonneaus
Jose, you are right. I realized that after the posting. I'll just fall back on the disclaimer about not being a professional or genius for that matter.

The 2209 is another movement I plan to post as well as a Kopernic with a homemade hand removal tool and 3133.

Dan

·
Registered
1,609 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

Another one showing disassembly. If anyone would like to know how these are made I use a Dina-Lite microscope powered by USB. I attached the gooseneck right to the bench I am working on. It gives a Ratfaced view. Some added light along with outside light and it looks ok.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MMpDF1zx_iA

DSC_0002_1.jpg

·
Registered
736 Posts
Re: Servicing videos

Nice. I can't wait to see your 3133 service video. I was planning to make a step by step guide, but that needs time, lots of time...

Sent by Tapatalk

·
Banned
157 Posts

Thanks for making these excellent videos. Don't know if I will ever get brave enough to attempt this, but very informative and good quality video.

Thank you!

·
Registered
2,295 Posts
Splendid stuff! As one who successfully performed a movement transplant the other month I can affirm that these screws and other particles are beastly small and the whole thing is rather intimidating. Great to see some basic stuff including the obvious but still anxiety provoking issues as when to use pincers to grab a screw (always) and how to set a movement in a movement holder. Looking forward to more .... and thanks for a great service.

So why no more car mechanicking, welding and engineering anymore nay I ask? Virtuous, challenging and relatively well remunerated occupations certainly.

·
Registered
1,609 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Informative and entertaining videos, Mr Git. Is the word "git" used in American English?
I never heard that word used in America. I first heard it when I was 10 or 12 after getting hooked on Python.

·
Registered
1,609 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 · (Edited)
Splendid stuff! As one who successfully performed a movement transplant the other month I can affirm that these screws and other particles are beastly small and the whole thing is rather intimidating. Great to see some basic stuff including the obvious but still anxiety provoking issues as when to use pincers to grab a screw (always) and how to set a movement in a movement holder. Looking forward to more .... and thanks for a great service.

So why no more car mechanicking, welding and engineering anymore nay I ask? Virtuous, challenging and relatively well remunerated occupations certainly.
Thank you for the kind words from everyone. I'm happy about the positive response. Keeps me motivated to make more.

I got burned out of the car wrenching biz in 1995 then lay offs from welding and fabricating had me looking for work in 2006. I was over qualified and too good. I had many interviews and weld tests but it always came back to 'you are too good, the customer doesn't demand that quality'. I gave up and took a course on phlebotomy, now I'm in the lab and on the road, basically my own boss making good money.

I still wrench at home. I have a 1988 Wrangler I'm doing a frame on restoration. Nothing show quality because I like to drive it. I picked up a clean 1992 Miata for the wife for Christmas this year and I have a nice Chevy 4 X 4 short bed. If I posted a thread about the cars, trucks and motorcycles I have owned it would take forever, plus 30 photos, yikes. I could start one at the cafe.:think:

I have no formal education, everything I do is self taught. Also my ADD helps me move from project to project.

·
Registered
1,609 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I have the assembly finished in 3 parts. It took some time to show as much as I can. I don't like to rush things and sometimes need a break. This work can be tedious.

The hand setting tool can be found at Amazon.com: Watchmaker's Hand Placement Jig - 3 Placers - 8 Tips - Fits Wrist Watches, Pocket Watches of All Sizes: Arts, Crafts & Sewing

This is the balance jewel oiling video I mentioned, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KpII8WDZnYQ

Part 1, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JhO11eH2-Sw

Part 2, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KOkCYs5-54Y

Part 3, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MZGqItgpuMk

·
Registered
1,325 Posts
watching these is getting me motivated to get working on my watches. i have had a cart a esslinger that i have not made the final purchase on for some time. i have most of the tools i need, but i still need some cleaning and oiling stuff. these videos will get my off my butt and start doing this. i am glad that i have taken a watch apart and reassembled it so everything in the videos is familiar to me. i will definitely keep links to these for reference in the future.

·
Registered
10,749 Posts
Thanks, Dan for posting the videos. I am looking forward to finding the time to sit down view and digest them. As you know there are many sequences available showing steps necessary to disassemble and assemble watch movements but very, very few get into any technique at all. Your no nonsense, non-stuffy instructions are bound to get many more aspiring watch tinkerers going. Well done!

·
Registered
1,609 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Thank you Paul. I hope more people get the bug as well.

I hope to start a 2416b tomorrow. A 2414 with auto winding if I'm not mistaken. I do apologize for the slow pace of the videos. I never thought working around a camera would be so cumbersome.

Snow moving in tomorrow may slow things down a bit though.

The 2409 I just finished is running 283 degrees amp. at 42 degrees lift. I let them run for a few days before a final rate adjustment. I like anything over 250 degrees for an old soviet movement.

Dan

·
Registered
10,749 Posts
Thank you Paul. I hope more people get the bug as well.

I hope to start a 2416b tomorrow. A 2414 with auto winding if I'm not mistaken. I do apologize for the slow pace of the videos. I never thought working around a camera would be so cumbersome.

Snow moving in tomorrow may slow things down a bit though.

The 2409 I just finished is running 283 degrees amp. at 42 degrees lift. I let them run for a few days before a final rate adjustment. I like anything over 250 degrees for an old soviet movement.

Dan
I continue to be amazed, Dan, by your energy as observed over the years I have been following your exploits.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts