WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
With all the discussions of the cost of having your watch serviced, never mind that it can take several months to do, does anyone have a top quality watch maker who can do it faster and cheaper?

·
Registered
38,584 Posts
:think: Interesting, servicing an expensive watch on the cheap. Doesn't seem like a good way to go.
With all the discussions of the cost of having your watch serviced, never mind that it can take several months to do, does anyone have a top quality watch maker who can do it faster and cheaper?

·
Registered
888 Posts
:think: Interesting, servicing an expensive watch on the cheap. Doesn't seem like a good way to go.

Funny how you seem to assume that "cheaper" THAN THE SOMETIMES OUTRIGHT LUDICROUS prices charged by certain OEM means "on the cheap", and then go on to ridicule the OP.

I know for a fact that there are certain independent watchmakers out there who take great pride in their work and who actually do a much better job than several OEM servicing divisions. Cases of getting a watch back in worse cosmetic shape than in was sent in, even at supposedly reputable houses, are far from unheard of, while cases of having to wait for several months to actually get your watch back appear to be practically the norm.

Isn't that motivation enough to trust someone else to do the job?

Reactions: tony20009

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I am delighted to have been able to provide so many of you with so much amusement. It's the second time something like this has happened -I won't bother again with this board. Enjoy!

·
Registered
10,872 Posts
I had a good watchmaker, he moved to Florida....Some brands he would not work on because he could not get original parts
and refused to use after market parts....So, it depends upon the brand. I find Govberg fair and good on the brands they service.
They are authorized service on about 30 brands or more,also cheaper than the factory ran service centers.

·
Banned
10,075 Posts
OP, it would help if you identified what town/area you are in so that others near you might offer some suggestions or warnings regarding watchmakers near(-ish) you. A great local watchmaker in Zurich probably isn't much use to you if you live in Chicago and don't often travel to Zurich. <wink>

Above, I read that LBF had a good watchmaker who didn't work on certain brands. That's a good thing really as the guy isn't willing to do work on something on which he's not fully able to do his best work. I appreciate that sort of integrity and that's the sort of thing you'll want to discern about any craftsman you are considering. If you find a good watchmaker whom you trust, cherish him/her. S/he'll be an invaluable resource not only for maintaining your watches, but also for helping you make buying decisions.

I know a lot of folks will pose buying decision questions here on WUS, but when I have any doubts/concerns about a watch, I generally consult one of my local watchmakers rather than public forums. It's usually during that five minute chat that I find out whether the he is comfortable working on the watch, what caveats I should note and so on.

For now, I'd suggest you start by checking with your favorite local AD to see what they can offer you. Quite often they are tuned into who are the good watchmakers in their area, particularly as nearly all of them have at least one on staff. The trick is to do the "legwork" and find one or two well before you actually need service/repair work. Just keep in mind that as often as not, a very skilled watchmaker won't have a lavish store or even be in the high rent district of your area, although they can be. They are often sole proprietors and pricey real estate and fancy display space doesn't serve them so well as it does high end outfits that are mainly selling pricey watches.

All the best.

·
Registered
1,362 Posts
Anyone know any good watchmakers in SoCal that service JLC, VC?

Sent from my 16M

1 - 11 of 11 Posts