WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is there any way to know if it is AM or PM (for the date) when you set your watch?

When my automatics run out and die down, I don't know whether it stopped in the AM or PM. Therefore, when I reset the date, sometimes I run into the issue where the date changes at noon instead of midnight the next day. This is annoying and I've started to set the date to the day before (16th instead of 17th for tonight for example) and then changing the time past 12PM to see if the date changes and going all the way around.

This is pretty annoying. Is there a good way to tell?

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
This is what I do in the morning. I posted this because I reset my Tag just now and I had to roll forward almost 2 complete revolutions to get to PM times (not supposed to go backwards through midnight?) ..

Wish there was a faster way as some of the crowns on my watch wind rather slowly (Omega and Tag) and it takes a good bit to get 2 revolutions with the minute hand

·
Registered
1,070 Posts
What Brisman said, it's the only way to do it. Same as if you had a quartz watch that the battery died on. :-s

If it's that annoying to you jetlau, try a winder. ;-)

·
Registered
1,809 Posts
This is why I prefer watches without a date complication.

Bob

Reactions: Metlin

·
Registered
20,970 Posts
Setting day and date on an automatic watches is tedious, but that's why I love them.

·
Registered
3,812 Posts
I always wind it to get it going, then set the time, making sure the date changes so I know that I'm in the AM (don't want to change the date if the watch stopped at 2am instead of 2 pm), set the time & date.

the whole process taked me about 20 seconds.....

Reactions: kak1154

·
Registered
4,620 Posts
The OP may be referring to a watch without a quick set date. That makes it tough, you'd have to roll back and forth through an entire month to get back to the correct date.

·
Registered
628 Posts
The other possibilities would be a watch with a GMT hand, or a watch with an independent hour hand (e.g. the Omega cal.8500), you can set the minute and then run the hours forward to set the date.

Sent from my Android.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
On my Omega the sub-dial at 12 tells me if its AM or PM.:)

Is this a chronograph that has been running for 12 hours? or is this just a watch feature? Pretty neat.

Reactions: Mr Rick

·
Registered
3,884 Posts
Is this a chronograph that has been running for 12 hours? or is this just a watch feature? Pretty neat.
No, chronos are at 6 ( hours) and the 'Jet' hand telling the minutes. At 9 is the small seconds. At 12 is an indicator that tells you it is 12 PM, not 12 AM. Pretty neat yes??

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I'm assuming then that the 9o clock counter is the minute counter for the chronograph feature and the 6 o clock counter is the hour counter? Is there a second hand also in addition to a chronograph hand then (making it 4 hands?) hard to tell cause 2 of them could be on top of each other.

My Tag Carrera has almost the same setup but the dedicated seconds hand is at 9 o clock and the minute counter is at 12 o clock. I like this AM PM distinguisher a lot :)

·
Vendor
3,090 Posts
I'm assuming then that the 9o clock counter is the minute counter for the chronograph feature and the 6 o clock counter is the hour counter? Is there a second hand also in addition to a chronograph hand then (making it 4 hands?) hard to tell cause 2 of them could be on top of each other.

My Tag Carrera has almost the same setup but the dedicated seconds hand is at 9 o clock and the minute counter is at 12 o clock. I like this AM PM distinguisher a lot :)
The 9 o'clock is the running seconds, not related to the chrono. The all-white center hand that is approaching 55 is the seconds counter for the chrono, the jet-tipped center hand is the minutes counter for the chrono, and the 6 o'clock sub-dial is the hour counter for the chrono. The jet hand is overlapping the normal hour hand, and the normal minute hand is around 35.

I'd love to own one of those Speedmasters some day!

·
Registered
3,884 Posts

I sent you a PM.

·
Registered
3,884 Posts
The 9 o'clock is the running seconds, not related to the chrono. The all-white center hand that is approaching 55 is the seconds counter for the chrono, the jet-tipped center hand is the minutes counter for the chrono, and the 6 o'clock sub-dial is the hour counter for the chrono. The jet hand is overlapping the normal hour hand, and the normal minute hand is around 35.

I'd love to own one of those Speedmasters some day!
Just not mine.:):):)

1 - 20 of 22 Posts