WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have noticed (I think) that when setting the moon phase manually the moon jumps at 20:00 hrs. That is fine for me.

But .. The moon phase seems to move 2 days at a time.

When I wind the watch via setting the hands and going forward as many days as needed fron from the last New Moon the moon advances less and in single days.

Is this normal ?

·
Registered
3,558 Posts
Hi:

It is a 59 tooth module to achieve the 29.5 days. I set it day on one so I don't remember exactly but I believe it did set in individual increments.

It is much less of a turn than to change the date...the amount of turning to turn the date would advance the moon by two days most likely. I remember it was very delicate and the jumps were quick, and I had to do it a few times to get it right.

Try very slight turns of it and let us know how it works. If you still seem to be getting double turns, lmk and I will go through the full cycle in the am and post my notes.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi Scott.

I have played and played and played some more with the settings.

The moon when turned in Quickset mode has a DOUBLE rotation with 59 clicks.

But It is not possible to accurately set it with that method.
I think you have to quickset to the last New Moon and wind on from there.

I have set it now but what a performance.

Ball .. You need to produce some VERY clear instructions please.

But .. I still love my Moonphase - It is going to get a lot or wrist time I assure you..

·
Registered
3,558 Posts
Glad you got it set. You are right, that's what I did, I worked from new moon and also used this site.

http://www.watchnetwork.com/moonphase/

So I think you wrote the instructions...go to new moon and work from there;-)

Enjoy and wear it in good health always|>

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hi Scott,

I use a program called .. QuickPhasePro for looking at Moonphases etc.

I can set the program to give me the exact moonphase for my location by using Longitude and Latitude.

But ........

Why do ball give the facility for na quickset mode if it does not work easily and perhaps properly. I can NOT replicate todays setting using the quickset mode.

I have my watch working correctly at the moment (I hope). The Moonphase on my watch changes at 8pm so i have to remember to set the phase accordingly.

I have a Patek Philippe with the monphase .. That is simple to set up on any day although I leave it running on a winder when I m not wearing the watch.

·
Registered
3,558 Posts
I am glad things are set know for you, and I agree, this is something that Ball can easily address with instructions and identifying when the change occurs. Once I figured that out, and used a new moon as my base point, I was good to go.

I don't remember it being a huge deal, but I don't have any other Moon Phase for comparison, so I just set it and moved on.

Hopefully, Ball will see our posts and give future MoonPhase buyers some better instructions.

Or they could PM us for syncronization.

It is one heck of a watch and I love Moonie, but I think you all already know that:)

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Don't get me wrong .. I love my moonphase also.

Ball do need to join in here.

They do need to go through this matter and sort something out.

It is simple I agree but the quickset is very badly arranged IMHO.

I won't call my watchg a "Moonie".

I am old enough to remember a very dangerous culy called the "Moonies".

The connotation is bad.

·
Registered
434 Posts
Sounds like it's a real pain to set the moonphase, so I'll be asking a lot of questions when mine arrives Tuesday:-s:-s Hope youze guys will help:-!

@Charles
I won't call mine a Moonie either. I remember them from years ago. A real crazy bunch IMHO:roll::roll::roll:

Kind Regards
Bob:thanks

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Bob,

It is very simple.

Set the moonphase via quickset to show NO moon at all.

Take note of what date there was a new moon.

Then count the number of nights to the current night.

Look at the date for NO moon .. Set your watch to that via quickset.

Then wind the hands on day by day till you get the correct date and all is done.

·
Registered
3,558 Posts
Excellently worded, Charles.

Or you can set the date and time first, and they are not affected by the setting of the moonphase, and follow Charles' instructions from new moon.

It's no biggie...you will do great and pm me if you wanna double check.

PS... As for the Rev Sun Yong Moon, I would be glad to moon him in person. I will honor my vow about comments on religion and politics but I do remember, and it is not good memories.

He can't still be alive, could he? I want to take the name Moonie back.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
He can't still be alive, could he? I want to take the name Moonie back.
Yes,

He is still alive.

And of course you can reclaim the name.

We are all generous folks here and we allow almost anything ;-)

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
This is how I look up the current Moonphase.

I run a program on my PC and print the relevant month.

It's simple to count the days and get a visual referance of how every day should look on my Ball Moonphase dial that way.

·
Registered
444 Posts
You mean that old fart that owned all those Rolls Royces? Sure made a lot of money from all those hippies in California. It was said he had over 200 Rolex's as well.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I have now reset my watch (again).

This is how I did it.

I noticed that the Moon-phase moves in it's "Window" at about 8:30pm (20:30).

It is 19th November 2007 now and the last New Moon (No moon showing at all) was November 10th.

I set my watch (Ignoring the moon) for 10pm (22:00) on November the 9th.

I then wound the time on to 10pm (22:00) on the 10th November.
This way I know I am past the moon change time.

Now I have the Date set correctly and in the correct 12 hour period (2nd circuit for the day).

I now set the moon-phase (Position 2 on the winding stem) to show NO moon at all.
The watch is now set for the 10th November.

Now I manually wound the time day by day until I got to yesterdays date (18 November).

I then carried on winding but slowly with care to today's date.

As it is morning time here (11am - 11:00) I stopped there.

I set the time accurately against my electronic radio Controlled clock.

I pushed the winding stem in and tightened up the screw down winding crown.

The watch will now all day until 8:30 pm (20:30) show how the moon was last night.

After 8:30pm (20:30) this evening it will show how tonight's moon will be.

I think I have got it exactly how I want it now.

Time will tell ... the next Full Moon is on 24th November 2007 and the next New Moon will be on 09 December 2007.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts