WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
829 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What is a good way to set the time on my non-hacking Monster? I use time.gov as reference.

·
Registered
705 Posts
What is a good way to set the time on my non-hacking Monster? I use time.gov as reference.
That's a good place to get accurate time but the problem with a non-hacking watch is getting the seconds to match up. Some people will put just a little backwards pressure on the minute hand to "hack" the second hand. There are conflicting reports out there about any potential damage to the watch by doing that.

If you don't care about accuracy to the second (and with a watch like the monster you shouldn't expect tremendous accuracy) then you can just set the time to the nearest minute. Without hacking, you'll never be more than 30 seconds off of the actual time when you set it.

·
Registered
412 Posts
Without hacking, you'll never be more than 30 seconds off of the actual time when you set it.
It took me like 10 minutes of moving imaginary clock hands around in my head to comprehend how that was possible.

Now I just feel stupid and thought I should share.

·
Registered
705 Posts
It took me like 10 minutes of moving imaginary clock hands around in my head to comprehend how that was possible.

Haha. Glad to be of service.

·
Registered
721 Posts

:-d NoDeco

As for the question:
Hi Tx...
With the OM and my previous 007's, I'd just set the time closest to the minute regardless of what time it is. Example...since that OM is usually faster, it would be easier to set the time exactly "on the hour" like 8am, 10am, 11am, 2pm, etc...that way both the minute hand and seconds hands line up at the 12hr tick mark the same time. Don't fret that the actual time on time.gov is 10:59:45 and your watch is already 11:00:00...just play with different resting positions so that in a few days your watch and time.gov will actually be the same. Don't set it at 12noon because the hour hand gets in the way of the view for the minute and seconds hands, at least to me it's distracting.

Also, it helps to keep a time log for a few weeks on how much time it is slower for you when worn X hours and what resting positions and the length of time unworn will give or take away a few seconds...Here's my old reply to an accuracy thread on my experience with that OM....https://www.watchuseek.com/showpost.php?p=1813109&postcount=8

and the relevant text on that reply: "Now, with the OM, I wear this beast everyday since I've had it(34days). What started out as +4secs/day gradually decreased to -4secs in 14days. And now I'm just trying to fiddle with wrist time and resting postions to get a -1 to +1secs/day worked out because my particular 7s26b inside this particular OM seems to lose time on the wrist but gains time rested. Rested dial up gave me +4secs/day for the first couple of weeks, crown up gave me -2secs/day....I'm in the 5th week right now(34days) and have found a sweet spot @ 10hrs wrist time/14hrs rested crown up has me in a -1 to +0 range for the past 2 days."

Give it a try...|> I think I wore that watch 2-3months straight before I gave it a couple days rest...and when it fully unwind, and rewound...it still gave me near perfect predictability of -4, +4, +0 from time.gov and it cycles again. It's that "sweet spot" for how to wear it that you need to find.

But if this watch will be in a rotation, no need to bother logging, resting, and all the hoopla I did.;-)

On the topic of backhacking...Others here will say that their experience time and time again is that backhacking has had no adverse effects to their movement...but my take on this is, if it's not in the manual, then it's not 100% safe to do. It maybe safe and Seiko just didn't put it in...but why go with a "maybe"???

·
Registered
829 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
:-d
...On the topic of backhacking...Others here will say that their experience time and time again is that backhacking has had no adverse effects to their movement...but my take on this is, if it's not in the manual, then it's not 100% safe to do. It maybe safe and Seiko just didn't put it in...but why go with a "maybe"???
Thanks for the info Irven, I'll try that. I was wondering if "backhacking" is harmful to the movement. I've done that on my ex-Ti Samurai, but was never sure if it was a good thing to do.

·
Banned
5,850 Posts
Most of the time I ignore the second hand only to verify that it is moving.

When timing a new mechanical watch, I do not back hack. I will hack a reference quartz to match the automatic and then measure the deviation that way.

In my experience I have found that the winding activity seems to knock the result of the back hack off by a couple of seconds. I am also not completely sold on the opinion that stopping or even moving the second hand backward has no detriment to the movement.

I tend to set the watch either 1 minute behind or 1 minute ahead based on if the particular watch tends to run fast or slow. When you are already off time, I don't see the point of calibrating the second hand to a reference.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Most of the time I ignore the second hand only to verify that it is moving.
Me too. I fail to see the point of backhacking 7s26 based autos which are not that accurate given their specs. Who needs to know the time by a second in normal life anyway? My OM gains less than 10 seconds a day when worn constantly and I'm ok with having to adjust it once a week.

I've fallen for these autos with their little quirks, no more quartz for me... :-d

-ajv-

·
Registered
205 Posts
Personally, I move the minute hand, so it's set to the minute, rather than the second. I've given up on 'hacking' using the back pressure method.

Funnily enough, my two new 7S26 Seikos are both a little slow (I thought they were supposed to race ahead??)

And yes, I have the OCD thing. . . I compare them to an atomic clock, at the same times every day, and write the results down. I can't explain what I'm doing with the pages of data, but I have a compusion to do it.

Reactions: Genebe
1 - 9 of 9 Posts