WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I had an opportunity to go to Brazil a few weeks ago to visit family. We spent Christmas and New Years (Feliz Ano Novo!) in Rio. Thanks to WUS, I found that Brazil had an Orient factory. Also because of WUS, I've thought about getting a Mako, so I was hoping to see one while I was there. So whenever we went out shopping, I'd see if I could find a store with Orients on display.

Like here in the US, most of what I could find were quartz watches. The quartz models looked nice, but not what I was hunting. I eventually found two or three automatics at a shopping area called Rio Sul, but no Makos. I saw an OS300 (very nice) and a Orient Poseidon (469SS039 and 469SS040 versions) as well as the 469SS022 (or was it the 469SS023)?. I had not heard of the Poseidon before and was very impressed with it. I wasn't planning on buying a watch in Brazil (exchange rates not as good as they have been in the past...), but I really became intrigued. I'm not a huge diver fan, but the watch looked so nice. And what a great souvenir to have from a wonderful time spent with family for the holidays, right? I bet this sounds familiar. Rationalization at it's best.

So I researched the Poseidon on this and several other forums. I was worried that it might be too big for my small wrist, but my expert fashion consultant (the wife) thought it looked fine and I agreed. After reading positive reviews with some constructive criticism, I took the dive so to speak and picked one up. So my first diver, my first Orient and my first watch of the new year!

I have to say that I love it. It is heavy. I'm not much of a bracelet fan (I prefer bands, leather or rubber), but I love the looks of the provided bracelet. I like the bracelet so much, that I doubt I'll change to the rubber band for a while if at all. The negatives of the non-ISO rating, mineral crystal, some say "loose" bezel and allen wrench style bracelet pins aren't really negatives to me.

Although I'm dive certified, I doubt I'll be anywhere near 100m so the ISO rating isn't an issue (yeah, I'm a desk diver...for now). Compared to some other dive watches, I'm sure the bezel is loose. The bezel has moved on me once or twice, although it stayed put the two times I've used it. It is significantly tighter than the 469SS023 bezel that I saw at the place I purchased the watch. The bracelet pins may or may not be an issue on down the road, but for me they're fine. I'll just have to be careful if I pull the bracelet off. Ditto regarding being careful with the crystal. Accuracy seems good, although I'm not sure how best to test it with a non-hackable movement.

I do have a few questions though. I noticed on this thread that a fellow WIS had thought they might have broken the movement (although later they were told they did not), so I am a bit cautious with the watch. Accordingly, I have a few questions for fellow Orient owners...

1.) Is this the correct english language manual?

2.) If that's not the correct english language manual, what's the best procedure for changing the date/time?

3.) Am I right in assuming that in changing the time, I should never turn the hands counter-clockwise? I've noticed with another watch at a different store that when I did this, it affected the movement of the seconds hand.

4.) As stated earlier, what is the best way to test accuracy? (Yes, I am a bit of an accuracy geek and would love to know how well this bugger is keeping time.) Perhaps I just time it with my PAW1100?

In the end, it's a beautiful watch which will remind me of the wonderful times we had in Rio and my family who helped me with the purchase. I'll post some photos later on, but here's a quick cell phone snapshot.

-J

*edit: I posted this in the Affordables section, as I feel this is my "home forum" having spent the most time here...that and it's an Orient...the very definition of "bang for the buck"!
**2nd edit: I realize I just purchased this watch, will post an update in several months once the honeymoon is over.

·
Registered
2,741 Posts
Congrats on your new Orient Diver! I had forgot about this one, NICE!! Can't help with your questions, (sorry) but I'm sure someone will be along soon with the answers!

·
Registered
1,102 Posts
4.) As stated earlier, what is the best way to test accuracy? (Yes, I am a bit of an accuracy geek and would love to know how well this bugger is keeping time.) Perhaps I just time it with my PAW1100?

*edit: I posted this in the Affordables section, as I feel this is my "home forum" having spent the most time here...that and it's an Orient...the very definition of "bang for the buck"!
**2nd edit: I realize I just purchased this watch, will post an update in several months once the honeymoon is over.
Congrats on a great trip and a very cool pick up! That's a really nice watch that I've been admiring for a while :)

As for testing the accuracy, I'd say bust out your iPhone or stop watch and time it as best you can with that. With a non hacking movement it won't be exact but it will close enough to give you an idea.

One other thing about the watch... how's the lume? My Mako XL's lume is a dissapointment, which is why I ask-

thanks and good luck!

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
@Dynamite...

I'll probably just watch it using my Casio. As far as the lume is concerned, I think it's fine. I have nothing compare it too, as I don't have an OM. The only other watches I have are a Lyndon (which is horrible) and the Casio. Early this morning I was able to tell time, although the lumed parts were faint and the room was dark but not totally dark. Personally, I think how good the lume will be is a function of how much outdoor time I get. Here's a quick shot to show how it's lumed after a quick minute or so of light...gotta love the Portugese version of Friday b-) :

-J

·
Registered
2,879 Posts
Love the Portuguese Day! Nice watch!

@Dynamite Orient is not known for their lume. Not horrible, but nothing to write home about either. Which is strange considering they are a subsidiary of Seiko.

·
Registered
3,208 Posts
That is a great looking watch. The thick hands and markers demand a bigger watch.

The generic Orient manuals list the movements they are for, as the one you link to does on page 7. If you can't find what one it is, and he doesn't reply to your posts, you could pm Kew to see if he knows.

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
@ckot

When I went to the orient-watch.com website and searched for my manual, the website advised to use the first three letters of the model # to search. Since my model # is 469ss039, that's the manual I linked. When I looked at that page 7, I noticed that the 469 models have a "click-b" which refers to a "click button". My Poseidon doesn't have a click button so I'm not sure I have the right manual. As I don't want to mess up the watch and spend money on international shipping...I guess I'm being a bit cautious.

·
Registered
1,102 Posts
@Dynamite Orient is not known for their lume. Not horrible, but nothing to write home about either. Which is strange considering they are a subsidiary of Seiko.
Ain't that the truth! Even still... my regular Mako outshines the XL by a long shot... and my Raymond Weil (a sport/dress watch) outshines them both by a mile (which i find to be funny).

Not to thread-jack, but I'm thinking of having my XL relumeinized because as it stands now it's pretty bad.

·
Registered
1,102 Posts
@ckot

When I went to the orient-watch.com website and searched for my manual, the website advised to use the first three letters of the model # to search. Since my model # is 469ss039, that's the manual I linked. When I looked at that page 7, I noticed that the 469 models have a "click-b" which refers to a "click button". My Poseidon doesn't have a click button so I'm not sure I have the right manual. As I don't want to mess up the watch and spend money on international shipping...I guess I'm being a bit cautious.
How do you change the day of the week without the button?

·
Registered
1,666 Posts
How do you change the day of the week without the button?
The movement actually has the facility for the click button but the case does not. I think Orient Brazil really should have put a movement in there that had quick set day and date via the crown if they were not going to include the click button. To set the day, you can either do 24hr revolutions with the hands or move the hands backwards and forwards past the midnight position which moves the day but not the date.

·
Registered
1,102 Posts
Really? That's odd. So how do you change it from Portuguese to English? I've read several reviews that it has this language combo and I've seen photo's of the Poseidon with English DOTW. :think:

Edit: for example \/

·
Registered
1,666 Posts
Really? That's odd. So how do you change it from Portuguese to English? I've read several reviews that it has this language combo and I've seen photo's of the Poseidon with English DOTW. :think:

Edit: for example \/
The Makos will effect day changes the same way as described above, except they have the pusher to quick set it. If you have a two language day wheel, these are changed in two steps which are not completed until about 3am or so. So if your day has the capability to be displayed in two languages and you wanted to change it on the Poseidon (or the Mako for instance), then you would wind the hands past midnight until it the day clicked over into the preferred language. Then you would wind the hands anti clockwise to about 11.30pm then forward to set the correct time. If you wanted to keep the same language, you must wind forward past midnight until the same language has clicked over (2 steps). If you only wound until the first change over (1 step), you will be in another language.

This is documented in instructions from Orient so it is not harmful to your watch.

·
Affordables Moderator
17,577 Posts
Very nice Orient, and even better because it will always remind you of a great time with your family :-!

I didn't know Orient cased their cal. 469 without the day button, but as kew noted it isn't a problem to move the hands backwards and forwards. In fact many WIS 'hack' their 7sxx based Seikos by 'back hacking', or putting just enough pressure backwards on the crown to hold the seconds hand in place until their time is sync'ed. You just don't want the second hand to run continuously backwards as it probably isn't good for the escapement.

The technique described is also the way to "quick set" Russian Vostok and Poljot date wheels as they don't have the second crown position for setting the date. Even though the movement designs are different (direct seconds in Seiko/Orient calibers, indirect seconds in Vostok/Poljot) it can be alarming to see the second hand bouncing all over when setting a Russian!

·
Registered
321 Posts
3.) Am I right in assuming that in changing the time, I should never turn the hands counter-clockwise? I've noticed with another watch at a different store that when I did this, it affected the movement of the seconds hand.

I don't have an orient, but I do have a Seiko, and also a watch with a Miyota movement, and turning them backwards when setting the time will not hurt them. In fact, this "affecting of the seconds hand" that you mention, is how you "hack" these watches. Simply put a little back pressure on the crown, and the seconds hand should stop, and sometimes will even go backwards a little, hold it until the second hand is matching your timing source, (time.gov) etc., and then you can set the minutes to the correct position, and your seconds hand should still be matching your source time. - then checking the accuracy will be easy.:-!

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks for all the replies. Checked the watch this morning and as far as I can tell, the watch gained just under 1 second. Simply amazing. I'm not much of a photographer, but here's some unboxing and other shots. Thanks again to all for your knowledge and help.

-J

1 - 15 of 15 Posts