WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
13,980 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,
so just a few hours ago the postlady was here and handed me a nice little package from Hong-Kong:

nice stamps, too:

Never had one with one of those little stands before:

Very nicely packed, too - the box around the stand was even wrapped in a plastic bag.
But before I bore you out of your minds - the object of desire :-d:

A little adjusting of time zones etc. and on the wrist it goes - damn, it's a big one ;-)

First impression:
- very crisp display
- nice easy-to-use buttons
- finally the color scheme I always hoped for on the Riseman
- time in all modes (I knew that before of course - module is: 3202)
- double LED backlight - nice touch |>
- very comfy with the nylon strap
- checked the pressure with an online weather site - spot on |>

features:
- the functions are almost identical with the GW-9200 or PAW-500 - except for the missing solar/atomic capabilities and it has no REC mode or altimeter stopwatch

I think Casio has come up with a really nice alternative to the Riseman and their more expensive Pathfinders - with a little clip-on compass or the SGW-100 on the other wrist :-d you get full ABC features. And the price is unbeatable - about 1/4 of the Riseman depending on where you buy. I'll be back later with some more pics.

Greetings, Sedi :)

·
Registered
87 Posts
Re: SGW-300 - unwrapping and first impressions

[duplicate material edited by moderator]

How accurate is the temperture gauge and altimeter?

I own a riseman and the altimeter does suffer +/- pressure drift and the temperture gauge is wrist sensitive as all abc watches tend to be :-(

·
Registered
29,512 Posts
Re: SGW-300 - unwrapping and first impressions

Cheapo Casios come up trumps again.

Always good to hear your opinions, Sedi.

Thread copied to 'Reviews'.

·
Registered
13,980 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Here's part II:

Hi,
so now that I got it a few days - the promised review with a little more in-depth info.
First the basics:

Model number: SGW-300HB-3AVDR

Module: 3202
Case: plastic
Crystal: acrylic, flat
Strap: nylon with fake leather applications and steel buckle - width: 20 mm
Size: approx. 47 mm lug-to-lug, 49 mm across the sensor, 45 from button to button (across the face), height: 14 mm
Weight: 44 gr
"Made in China"
Water resistant: 100 m
stainless steel back
battery: CR2016 with approx. 3 years life-span according to Casio specs

Features:
- time-keeping (hr,min,sec,day of the week,month,day,DST on/off - graphic area shows seconds count)

- barometer/thermometer (changeable between metric and imperial - however not when TYO is chosen as city code - then units are fixed to metric - so if you're an expatriate American living in Japan - simply use SEL as home city code :-d)
- as usual no sea level pressure
- the graphic area shows the difference between the current pressure and the last measurement - however the manual is not really clear if the watch takes measurements on its own (like the Riseman) or only when in barometer mode - this would make quite a difference because in case it doesn't take measurements on its own (which I think is the case - given the fact that it uses a normal battery) then the graphic display can also show long-term trends when two measurements are taken on two different days for example
- it also has a 'low-batt' warning indicator when battery power is too low to take any readings - it's not really clear from the manual if that indicator is always displayed or only when in sensor mode

- world-time with 48 cities in 31 timezones

- stopwatch: 24 hr, split time readings, two finishes

- countdown timer: 24 hr, no repeat, 1-min increments

- 5 daily alarms - no snooze (like on the Pathfinders)

- altimeter: 5 m increments, no alti-lock, no temp compensation (as usual)

- double LED illumination: amber (really nice |>):

And now the little details and comparison to the Riseman - it has basically almost the same features but I'll tell you where they differ. Let's take a closer look at the construction first - sideshot:

sorry for the dirty sensor cover :oops:
compared to the Riseman - the buttons look much better on the SGW-300 I think:

Easier to use with a nice texture to it and much smaller crevices between buttons and bezel - of course the SGW-300 has no resin bezel. The screws are not cosmetical but seem to actually fix the bezel and sensor cover to the case. The sensor cover on the Riseman looks sturdier however and is not fixed to the case but makes connection with a metal spring and is additionally made more shock proof with an o-ring. The sensor cover on the SGW-300 looks like a potentially weak spot because of the slots but if wearing the watch on the left wrist that area should be well protected. Well it's no G-Shock after all :-d.

Considering the features:
SGW-300: no solar, no atomic but it comes at around 1/4 of the price
- it has no REC mode and no altimeter stopwatch like the Riseman. So you can't get any accumulated ascent/descent readings. You can however adjust the illumination duration - something that's missing on the GW-9200. The SGW-300 doesn't have auto-EL but that's a feature I hardly ever use anyway.
The mode change beep and alarms are louder - probably because of the missing resin bezel.
And one thing that I also think is better on the SGW-300 is the fact that it stays in barometer mode for around 1 hour till it automatically returns to time-keeping mode - the GW-9200 does so after a few minutes.
The SGW-300 can also be muted but you have to do it in the time-setting menu - not by pressing 'mode' for 2 seconds like on the Riseman.
The SGW-300H misses a barometric trend graph unfortunately, so weather changes are not as easily predictable as on the Riseman.
- a nice little detail - when pressing "adjust" the watch displays 'set hold' till the digits start to blink - similar to the G-7800 - the 'adjust' delay (time till digits start blinking) is approx 2.5 sec

"Made in China"

- so far I can't say anything negative about my 'Made in China' Casios (DW-6600, AE-1000W, SGW-300H) - quite the opposite
- all my 'MiC' Casios run exceptionally good - far better than specs - the AE-1000W even is my most precise quartz watch at around -1sec/month. The SGW-300H so far has lost 1 sec in 3 days which means it will probably end up at around -10sec/month (specs only say +/-30sec/month).

Last but not least - another wrist shot:

conclusion:
I bought this one to replace my sold Riseman. So is it a worthy competitor? I think it is and there are some things I even like better about it - the illumination, the buttons, the color, the strap, the big digits. There are a lot of aspects, of course where it can't compete but all in all - especially considering the price - I think Casio really delivers once again. Even the finish and construction look very solid and precise. Only time can tell however how it will stand up to daily use - and since I'm a desk diver I'll probably never be able to tell how it really stands up to the demands of 'field-use' :-d.
What I especially like is the fact that it shows time in every mode - something that is quite important for a lot of people (including me) and something that Casio sometimes seems to forget to implement (especially on most of the newer G-Shocks :-(). And I also like the vintage feel of the watch with the three tone display. The LED illumination is excellent and adds to the crispness of the display because an EL-foil makes the display more blurry.
So the SGW-300 gets a 'strong buy' from me :-d - unbeatable 'bang for the buck' once again and a very nice Japanese-Chinese co-op :-!.
But be careful when your wrist is less than 7 in. - better try to find it in a store first and see how it looks on the wrist - this certainly is one of the bigger watches.
So next on my 'cheapo-Casios-I-need-to-get'-list is the W-S200H :-!.

·
Registered
956 Posts
Dear Sedi,

Thanks for comprehensive review!:-!:-!:-!

Here is mine, the resin version|>|>

SGW-300H

Barometer accuracy : Accurate as stated, as I compare with my PRG-80, only +/- 1 hpA. The same also apply for the Thermometer readings, as only +/- 0.5 Celcius. Not much different.

The only drawbacks is no trend graph to record previous readings such as seen in Risemen or Protrek's. For Altimeter, is just normal altimeter with no alti lock features nor memory recall capability.

Beside, the CDT have no auto-repeat indicator, but it is available in SGW-100.o|

Conclusion: This Casio Sport is one of the simplified Twin Sensor in market today, is a cheap (I bought around USD 76 + postage at local Ebay), full features entry version Alti-Baro solutions.

cheers,

yschow

Attachments

·
Registered
13,980 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
:-!:-! very nice - yours looks even more 'old-school' because of the orange arrows on the buttons and the 'steel-look' (I guess it's also just plastic?) of the bezel ring. Looks even more like an old Protrek model. And :thanks for the comparison with the Pathfinder.

·
Registered
956 Posts
Haha Sedi,

You're right! I'm am fan of old school type Casio. Whether is Casio Standard Digital, G-Shock or Protrek. Each of the series I will collect based on looks and functions. Since I discover this forum 1 year ago...is has triggered back my passion on Casio watches....which I have missed 15 years ago...:-d:-d:-d

What I hope that Casio will not stop evolute without scarifying it's DNA of functionality, style etc.

Maybe in future, Casio will be release again the retro version of the DW-6700, using the SGW-300H as reference, by adding Tough Solar and Atomic Timekeeping...mmm, may be will addressed as Skyforce II, GW-6700??;-);-);-)

cheers,

yschow

·
Registered
7 Posts
This is my BABY b-) Casio SGW-300HD-1AVER
20110827_0786.JPG
Baby on my hand...

20110830_0791.JPG
Today I am tested water resistant....no problem :-! work as dragon
:-!

20110830_0792.JPG

First impresions....everything is the best and beautiful... |>
we will see how it will work further....

Ziveli(on Serbian)= cheers, snajk94:-!

·
Affordables Moderator
17,578 Posts
The SGW-300 is a great watch, I bought one for my 16 y/o and was so impressed I went and got one for myself around the same time as Sedi and did a comparison on the Digital/ABC forum, again about the same time. :) I've been checking it long term and can say that it is pretty darn tough as well.

My older son took his on every camping trip we did this past summer and he didn't baby it. No problem with swimming and the sensors are staying accurate.

Since I bought mine I found the SGW-400, essentially the same watch but with analog hands too:

I figured since I got the 400 my younger son needed A/B functionality as well and gave him my 300. He's been wearing it nearly every day since I gave it to him in July and I am curious to see how it holds up on a 13 year old's wrist :-d

Clip a compass on the strap and you have a super cheap ABC:

For the money I don't think you can beat the SGW-300 :-!

·
Registered
213 Posts
sorry for bringing up an old thread...

How's your SGW-300 now? Is it still running perfectly? I asked my cousin from the US to pick one up for me and it will arrive on the 19th of January. Can't wait to get it on my wrist...I think this will be a perfect partner for my PRT-40

·
Registered
135 Posts
sorry for bringing up an old thread...

How's your SGW-300 now? Is it still running perfectly? I asked my cousin from the US to pick one up for me and it will arrive on the 19th of January. Can't wait to get it on my wrist...I think this will be a perfect partner for my PRT-40
First of all, this is my first post on this forum so hello everyone :)
Concerning the SGW-300, I had the resin version until recently - bought it on Amazon.co.uk around July 2012 and returned to Amazon just a few weeks ago (more on this in a moment).
As for the watch, I bought it kind of on impulse - was looking for a cheepish feature packed digital watch for sports / weekend activities and spotted this one selling for 25 quid incl. delivery so I decided to pull the trigger. There is no question in my mind that the green version with the fabric band (or whatever that particular material is) looks a whole lot better but at the time of purchase it retailed for 40 GBP, a difference I wasn't really inclined to cough up for.
For the price the watch offers very decent features - granted the altimeter is rather useless and needs constant calibration, but the thermometer and barometer are surprisingly accurate - provided that, for the former you take of the watch from the wrist about 25-30 min prior to taking a temperature reading. The watch has the standard features such a world time, alarms, stopwatch and count down timer. It also has a pretty decent display backlight (initially I thought it was going to be one of those dim bulbs in the corner of the display as in the old Casio watches, but this is actually an even, bright illuminator style illumination. What’s more, you are able to set the duration - either 1 or 3 seconds - a handy feature which I find missing on many of the newer atomic / solar watches.
Build quality wise, the resin version feels rather plasticky and cheep - definitely not G-Shock style quality plastics, but they seem to do the job. The crystal seems to be at a slightly lower level then the bezel, thus protecting the glass from scratches.
The problem with my particular model was that the display froze up, showing all available character display symbols and the watch stopped responding to button presses. I am pretty confident that this was the Casio version of a Windows blue screen and a reboot i.e. removing and reinserting the battery would probably sort it out. I was just about to open it to do the above, however I thought about the water resistance implications / risks and the fact that I shouldn't really need to get my screwdrivers out to work on a watch which is only approximately 6 months old, so I decided to send it back. Credit to Amazon for swiftly dealing with my return and for reimbursing full costs incl. return postage.
So all in all a pretty decent watch - would recommend on condition of getting a good price and from retailer to whom you can send it back should things start going wrong.

·
Registered
2,097 Posts
I have had one for about a year and it gets regular use. I would replace the nylon band with a Nato/zulu type if I could figure how to because the stock nylon one is stiff like an old board - comfy enough but is skinny and belies the cheap price in my mind. It was only £40 from amazon and I think it rocks.

Highly recommended.

Sent via Tapatalk

·
Registered
8,522 Posts
I have had one for about a year and it gets regular use. I would replace the nylon band with a Nato/zulu type if I could figure how to because the stock nylon one is stiff like an old board - comfy enough but is skinny and belies the cheap price in my mind. It was only £40 from amazon and I think it rocks.
If you want to put a nato/zulu on it, you have to use the standard Casio adapters for 16mm springbars. Those adapters fit on a lot of different G-Shock models but work fine for the SGW-300 as well. It is definetly worth to do the mod, wearing comfort and look rise up at least two points. Here is mine on a 24mm Zulu Maratac in foliage green/grey:

and alternatively on a 24mm olive:

cheers

·
Registered
2,097 Posts
Cheers Cal, copious amounts of relevant info without even asking.

Genius.

Apparently (per Keith at Tiktox) the PRW1300 adaptors fit so I will doubtless available myself of these and pretend it has the atomic synch those adaptors claim hehe.

Yours looks ace. Might be next month's project.

Sent via Tapatalk

·
Registered
7 Posts
Back from the grave again!
I'm a weather enthusiast and looked at a lot of the options the last few days but just couldn't justify the cost of the better ones at the moment! I picked up one of these off of Evilbay tonight for $25 shipped to my door. I figure it's a good place to start at least and see if I like the functions or not. If I like it, great I'll upgrade as I have to say that SWG-400 looks very nice to me, if not, oh well! Either way I have a decent watch I can pass on to my son!

·
Registered
103 Posts
Congrats to this lovely watch, Is the light really this orange? Looks very good in combination with the green resin.

all the best,

toby

·
Registered
6,109 Posts
Congrats on a very good deal. :-!

Yes, I can confirm that the light has a prominent orange hue to it. It lasts only 1.5 sec. I think 2 sec would've been "just right". I also got a super deal on mine as well (it was less than $20 USD shipped). Will have to try fitting a NATO strap to it too, as I'm not all that enamored with the OEM band.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts