WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
892 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have read from many websites and forums that say 'shaking your automatic watch is safe to do', as long as you don't do it violently. BUT, I would like to know from those Omega experts on this forum: Is it okay (or safe on the METAS movement) to shake the watch after waking up in the morning...or before sleeping...about 60 to 120 times in a back and forth manner (like swinging your arms in a jogging motion) to "prime" the watch for the day (or night)? I found that by gently shaking my watch, it gains a bit of time, sometimes up to +1 second or a bit more.

Thanks for your expertise and knowledge, all!

Kind regards
Louis

·
Registered
908 Posts
I once had a Seiko sumo. The watch would gain 2-3 seconds if I shook it hard enough, not with any impact just a hard shake. The watchmaker explained to me that is likely to happen with a watch that has lower amplitude but I am not an expert and can't explain it beyond that.

·
Registered
892 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I once had a Seiko sumo. The watch would gain 2-3 seconds if I shook it hard enough, not with any impact just a hard shake. The watchmaker explained to me that is likely to happen with a watch that has lower amplitude but I am not an expert and can't explain it beyond that.
Wha??? I was hoping everyone here is an expert. Just kidding. But thanks for your thoughts and sharing it.

Sincerely
Louis

·
Registered
892 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I agree, Archer. But on Mi*enarywat***.com said that by winding an automatic watch, it wears out the stem and gaskets sooner than needed so shaking won’t harm your watch (it’s components) as fast compared to winding.

I like your practicality, Arch

Sincerely
Louis

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
141 Posts
Just hold the watch and shift your wrist back and forth a few times, as if you're dealing cards onto a table. It doesn't require heavy or fast shaking to wind an automatic.

At least that is what I do with Seiko's 7S movements (no hand winding). AKA 'Seiko shuffle'

·
Premium Member
1,557 Posts
The watch is designed and equipped for manual winding. Just wind it, I would say "shaking" the watch to make the rotor spin wears the rotor bearing and the internal winding mechanism. I don't know which one gets worn more.
I say just wind the watch with the crown as it is designed to be wound.

·
Registered
109 Posts
My 2531.80 will run fast if I'm out being active, and stay within 2 seconds if I'm sitting at my desk. It has an effect, I would think if shaken hard enough it's obvious (to me) that it can't be a good thing.

Reactions: Sub4

·
Registered
892 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yeah...shaking it like a swirling motion with your arm. Not like knocking on a door or hammering a nail down.

·
Premium Member
7,403 Posts
Shaking your watch violently is fine, as long as it doesn't result in a hard knock during the shake. The amount of vibrations from pushing those crappy shopping carts at Wal-mart are far worse than any shaking you could do on your own, including aggressive fapping, which is the only reason someone would ask this question LOL.

·
Registered
892 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
6R15...

YOU have a good point! Riding a bike over curbs, sprinting, extending metal ladders, clapping hands... thanks for the clarity. Sometimes I get so worried about something I can’t see the Forrest beyond a tree I’m looking at.

Sincerely
Louis

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,874 Posts
Of course you can lazily shake your automatic watch, that goes for any auto winding watch. They all get shaken when wearing (not so lazily either) and that is the whole point of having an auto. Don't read too much into it if someone says to hand wind them because there are brands that do not hand wind and they work just fine. Point in case many Seiko from 50's-2000's were non hand wind and so many are still working today. The amount of wear on the rotor bearings will be no more than the wear that happens on the hand winding works.
Wear wind enjoy and shake if needed.

Reactions: Sub4

·
Registered
1,346 Posts
I think you already got your answer, but I am curious why you feel the need to "prime your watch".

If it's already a running watch then you just wear it and it winds itself. If it isn't running already, a few turn of the crown would bring it to life, in which case you set the watch and wear it, and it winds itself.

·
Registered
892 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Dirtvictim....

I love your pure logic!! Makes perfect sense! I definitely feel much more confident to give my watch a swirl back and forth about 60 to 120 times before bed and after waking. I look forward to doing that now. (Btw, I've read that some people shake their Seikos for up to 2 minutes each morning)!!

Cheu_f50...

I like to interact with my watch, so I find an excuse to "prime" my watch before bed and do it again after waking. I feel it helps to fully charge the watch for the night and day, respectively. It's sort of like warming up before exercising, or meditating before sleep. Even though in most cases its just made up stuff by me and its not necessary most times.

Thanks Dirtvictim and Cheu_f50

Sincerely
Louis

·
Registered
6,914 Posts
I agree, Archer. But on Mi*enarywat***.com said that by winding an automatic watch, it wears out the stem and gaskets sooner than needed so shaking won’t harm your watch (it’s components) as fast compared to winding.

I like your practicality, Arch

Sincerely
Louis
This is not a Seiko that cant be wound manually, so it’s designed to be wound using the crown. There are a bunch of people on forums running around telling people it’s not good to do exactly what the watch is designed to do, which is simply not the case. Manual winding doesn’t wear out the stem, and it won’t have a huge impact on the crown seal, so it’s not like the seal will fail in a month or anything, and it certainly isn’t going to wear it out prematurely. If it did, watches that are only manual winding would be breaking left and right, and they simply aren’t.

If you are wearing the watch all day, you don’t likely need to do anything to wind it in the morning or before bed...this defeats the purpose of having an automatic watch.

If this somehow makes you feel better, then go right ahead, but honestly it’s not needed. Shaking the watch can cause timing to change, which was the original concern you had, the answer is simple. Stop shaking it. Or don’t...up to you.

Cheers, Al

·
Premium Member
2,517 Posts
I have read from many websites and forums that say 'shaking your automatic watch is safe to do', as long as you don't do it violently. BUT, I would like to know from those Omega experts on this forum: Is it okay (or safe on the METAS movement) to shake the watch after waking up in the morning...or before sleeping...about 60 to 120 times in a back and forth manner (like swinging your arms in a jogging motion) to "prime" the watch for the day (or night)? I found that by gently shaking my watch, it gains a bit of time, sometimes up to +1 second or a bit more.

Thanks for your expertise and knowledge, all!

Kind regards
Louis
Ah, just wind it a bit if you didn't wear it. I've never had an automatic watch stop on me that I'm wearing, that would be an indication something was wrong.

While it won't hurt the watch, only cheapo Seiko watches that don't have a hand-wind option are designed to be shook to wind. For all other watches, just wind the crown as it was designed.

·
Registered
Speedmaster coaxial on Forstner Komfit
1,989 Posts
Shaking is for 7S26 Seikos that can't be manually wound. But it's your watch, do whatever you want. If a watch gains significantly (several seconds) when it is shaken, then you are probably making the balance impulse jewel hit the fork from the wrong side (overbanking). I don't think that is good for the watch, but it's probably also not going to immediately break it.
Archer is a real watchmaker, so I would go by what he says.

·
Registered
9,521 Posts
I wind my automatic watches when necessary, why not? With that facility there, and using it for its intended purpose, why shake the watch?

Nigel

1 - 20 of 45 Posts