WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,

I've been reading for a long time, but have only recently joined the forum and this is my first post.

I have a few watches in my collection, most being in the diver style, which is my strong preference. My Tag is the high end of my collection, with my Black Monster and my 007 as my daily wearers. Recently though, I've become obsessed with buying a watch which a black dial and a lumed red seconds hand!

I've looked at the Tissot PRS 516 auto (new) and the RW Nabucco (second hand), both have a red seconds hand, but neither are lumed - so no good.

So my question to the forum is this please. Can you recommend a largish (41-42mm+) good quality, automatic divers / tool watch with a nice black dial, sapphire crystal and a lumed red seconds hand? My maximum budget is £500, or approx $700. New, or the going rate for good second hand piece. Photos much appreciated, if you can help.

The current alternative is to buy a new Seiko SKX171, as I love the dial on that for £175 ($245) and mod it with a 007 bezel, new hands (with lumed red seconds hand) and sapphire crystal with AR. Total cost including the mods, fitting and shipping approx £350 ($490).

Many thanks.

·
Registered
4,920 Posts
I would recommend the Bathys 100F Automatic. The price is currently at $595 on the Bathys site, diameter is 41.1mm, very good quality, automatic divers (though a bit quirky), nice black dial, sapphire, and a red seconds hand with lume.

Watch Analog watch Watch accessory Strap Fashion accessory

(Pic stolen from the Google. Why is it that significantly more than 90% of Bathys pictures suck?)

·
Registered
5,278 Posts
If you can live with just the tip of the seconds hand painted red, I highly recommend the Wilson Watch Works diver...either in titanium or stainless steel. You might also ask if they can paint the whole seconds hand red for you. Here are some links:

Diver Watch Titanium
http://www.wilsonwatchworks.com/Pages/DiverWatchSteel.aspx

Here's a pic of my titanium Kemmner, which uses the same case and hands as the Wilson Watch Works titanium diver:

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you for the replies so far. Not sure the style of the Bathys is for me. The Kemmner is closer, but the dial is a little plain and whilst I have no objection at all to the micro brands, I wont buy a watch doesn't have a name on it. A friend of mine has just sent me a photo of the G.Gerlach P52. Never heard of the maker and not sure about either the movement, or the lugs / way the strap fits. But this is most definitely the overall look I am after. Any thoughts on this brand / quality? Think I need to do some more research..!

Watch Analog watch Watch accessory Fashion accessory Strap

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Darn it - think I was sold on the P52 and at £200, it seems a huge bargain! However, according to the manufacturer website it has a Chinese movement and that might be a step to low - not sure? Would have been happy with a Seiko movement...Hmmm...

The Certina, yes I think that ticks all the boxes too - well over budget though at around the £600 mark new. Will have a look for a second hand one. Please keep them coming...

Thanks again.

·
Registered
291 Posts
Mido Ocean Star Captain IV (my daily wearer). Swatch-owned brand for ease of repair, Eta 2836-2 movement, can be had new for around $700. Can't go wrong.

Stainless Steel:
Watch Analog watch Watch accessory Fashion accessory Strap

Titanium:

Watch Analog watch Watch accessory Strap Fashion accessory

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Like the Mido I think. Slightly unsure about the bezel. Quite taken with the Certina and am in the process of making enquiries against a used one on this very forum...

In the meantime, I'd welcome any other suggestions.

Thanks,

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Nothing from the WU seller as yet.

Modding a Seiko is definitely out of the window for now.

In the meantime, what do you think of this - Ooooooohhhh...................? I know views on titanium are split, but I think this is absolutely gorgeous.

Does anyone have anything negative to say about the Certina Diver please, as the trigger might be pulled at any time?!

Brand new $799, seriously considering busting the budget - anyone want to buy a watch from my collection - hahaha???????? ;-)

Watch Analog watch Watch accessory Fashion accessory Jewellery

·
Registered
647 Posts
I really like this Certina and have been considering it for myself. I think titanium is a no-brainer; it looks great (stealthier than steel) and the weight differential makes it extremely comfortable, especially for a larger watch with a bracelet. I have owned a few titanium pieces and when I switch back to steel, I feel like I'm wearing a brick. The one negative is that the grey dial/bezel, combined with the darker titanium, is more muted . . . it doesn't "pop" as much as the black/steel. But you may consider that a good thing.

Nothing from the WU seller as yet.

Modding a Seiko is definitely out of the window for now.

In the meantime, what do you think of this - Ooooooohhhh...................? I know views on titanium are split, but I think this is absolutely gorgeous.

Does anyone have anything negative to say about the Certina Diver please, as the trigger might be pulled at any time?!

Brand new $799, seriously considering busting the budget - anyone want to buy a watch from my collection - hahaha???????? ;-)

View attachment 1189538

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Hi all,

I hate leaving threads unfinished - perhaps a spot of OCD on my part.

Anyhow, I have today sent my money to a private seller and am awaiting delivery of my new watch, with a red, lumed seconds hand...

The big reveal will follow soon, together with pics and a short review...

Very excited!

And the modified Seiko - I got such a good deal on my new watch, that I have decided to do that too, though may post a separate thread.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts