1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
630 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello ;=)
I'm considering this automatic watch : Shanghai big digit automatic wristwatch
What do you think of this model ?
It looks good imho, it looks easily readable with roman numerals, i love the bezel, i love white dials in general and like this one's design, here minutes can be read which helps when a watch is on the wrist i think ; it also has blue hands which even adds up .
On the movement i have no idea : Can you please tell me if you know which movement is used in this model ? For example is it reliable, what's the power reserve ?
Thank you ;)

·
Mod. Russian, China Mech.
18,524 Posts
The movement is not specified in the listing, apart from being made by Shanghai watch factory. I would guess either a SB1 or Z2. They're both good. Power reserve will likely be about 40 hours.

·
Registered
630 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hello, Do you know if it's tough : i had a Seagull movement killed immediately (as the watch fell one time on the floor). Are these movements from Shanghai supposed to be stronger, or how do you evaluate them in terms of "thoughness" ?
Thanks ;)

·
Registered
634 Posts
I wouldn't think you'd have any problems with a Shanghai watch. I believe my Guanqin has a Shanghai movement in it and it's accurate and tough. Believe me, I'm tough on my watches and that Guanqin is still going strong. As for dropping the Seagull on the floor, I've done that twice with two different Seagull movements. One died and the other showed no ill effects.

·
Registered
630 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
A Seiko NH36A fell too and is still ok , not sure if it can be generalized though

·
Mod. Russian, China Mech.
18,524 Posts
Mechanical watches generally don't like to be dropped, particularly onto hard surfaces. That said there are so many variables involved that it is entirely possible that if your NH36A had fallen from exactly the same height as the Sea-Gull, onto exactly the same surface, and landed at exactly the same angle, then it might not be working either.

Watches are mysterious things. I have a vintage Slava auto that once stopped working after I removed a stump from the garden with an axe. A week later spontaneously recovered ...on the way to the watchmaker. Just like a child or a pet.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts