WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello fellow watchuseek members,

I'm new to the watchuseek forum, as well as to the world of watches in general. To expand my understanding of the on-line watch community, I would like to pose a couple of questions for anyone, veteran watch enthusiast (or ultra-amateur like myself) to answer:

"What do you love/hate about buying watches on-line? What do you think would make the experience easier/more fun?"

Have a nice day!

·
Registered
17,054 Posts
Welcome!

Sounds like a quiz to me. Fair enough:

Love: the price
Hate: the wait

The experience would be move fun if the watch materialised immediately next to me after purchase a la Star Trek

Only more accurate.

·
Registered
96 Posts
I will not buy any watch online ever. I only buy at dealers &/or retailers that sell them. If & when I buy a watch, if its not at dealers or retailers I WILL NOT BUY IT, No questions asked. Why? For me, I want to see the watch in person because pictures only show so much & tell so little, I want to see the workmanship, feel the weight & compare it to another watch I'm also looking at if there is one.

·
Registered
3,851 Posts
I buy just about everything online, other than food, and I'd do that, too, if we had delivery service locally :p I'm new at buying watches online, but the same principles seem to apply: do some research, buy from reputable sellers. For eBay, look at feedback and history, and if anything looks off, I'll pass...for instance, I see some sellers putting "Tuna" into the item description of much cheaper dive watches, just to get more search hits. No thank you.

·
Registered
178 Posts
I like to buy online, for similar reasons to Cybotron in that the lack of sales tax is a big bonus. Also, stuff tends to be cheaper on the internet :D Biggest downside to me is not being able to feel how a watch really looks or feels, and check for any problems it might have.

·
Registered
1,738 Posts
I buy Russian watches, almost all on line. In the past 18 months I have purchased almost 200 watches, sold over 100 (mostly online), have 15 - 20 for sale at any given time, and have about 80 in my personal collection. I am over 98% satisfied with my online purchases. Of the 2% dissatisfaction, some have been my fault, the rest damaged or "Not As Described." watches. The obvious key is to buy the seller - especially when he knows absolutely nothing about what he is selling!

·
Registered
1,719 Posts
I can't say I've had bad experiences buying online. One watch was delivered to the wrong house and my neighbor was kind enough to walk the package over to my house. That had nothing to do with the seller, and everything to do with the delivery service. I have had to return one watch for repair, still waiting for it; I guess we'll see how that goes.

The one thing I will say is unless it is a model you have seen in person you may be taking a risk. It is hard to see and feel a watch online. That is usually a big part of the shopping experience.

·
Registered
2,271 Posts
Hello fellow watchuseek members,

I'm new to the watchuseek forum, as well as to the world of watches in general. To expand my understanding of the on-line watch community, I would like to pose a couple of questions for anyone, veteran watch enthusiast (or ultra-amateur like myself) to answer:

"What do you love/hate about buying watches on-line? What do you think would make the experience easier/more fun?"

Have a nice day!
Love - cost savings, convenience

Hate - sight unseen......for fit/finish/quality and overall personal expectations of how it looks and wears .......cannot confirm precise condtion of what has offered.

If one does their homework on especially the seller reputation , and brand and specifics on the model by digging around the net......... then they can overcome some of the uncertainties they have with the whole ordering online thing.

·
Registered
4,102 Posts
Like - the prices on used watches! It's also easier to find discontinued, JDM or other hard to find models online than in person at stores.

Dislike - Not being able to see them in person. I just look at a lot of reviews and pictures to try to make up for this, but I still have flipped quite a few because I didn't like them as much in person.

·
Registered
3,519 Posts
Quick and efficient.

·
Registered
6,061 Posts
Until a few months ago, I had never purchased a watch online, but 4 watches, between Amazon, eWatches.com and thewatcher.com, I must say I have experienced no negative issues whatsover. Now, that said, my online purchases have been limited to quartz models, albeit good ones, but ones which will likely just need battery replacement once in a while and I have gotten some significant savings. For example, I bought a Glam Rock watch I had seen at Nordstrom for nearly $1600. I bought it from eWatches.com for $332 and it was a perfect transaction. New watch, with tags, manual, box, etc. I also bought a Philip Stein from Amazon and had the same experience, but that watch comes with Amazon's warranty, not Philip Stein's warranty.

Now, contrast that with my most recent purchase, a Baume and Mercier Capeland Flyback. While I got an incredible price on this watch, it was from an AD (authorized dealer) and I was able to try it on and compare it to other watches of similar cost and value. For a watch this expensive, I'm not sure I would be completely comfortable buying online, unless it was from an AD.

Which brings me to a question I've been thinking of putting out here (sorry for the hijack). Does anyone feel guilty going to an AD, trying on a watch, asking questions, etc., but then buying the watch online at a significant savings? I kind of do. I'm afraid the brick and mortar stores are going to go away. We've already seen this in electronics, with Circuit going out of business, which pretty much leaves Best Buy. Where will we go to see electronics, when we put Best Buy out of business because we look, but buy online? I think we're helping put businesses on the curb........

·
Registered
265 Posts
Some opponents against online watch shopping will argue that:
1. I want to personally/physically feel, touch and wear the watch.
2. Online has many fakes!
3. Long long wait
4. No manufacturer warranty

My response to these will be:
1. Eyeing a nice timepiece online? Go to a retailer or boutique (more recommended) and try it out physically first. Then go and buy it online for some savings!
2. Buy from reputable websites. Search the forum for some references.
3. Use part of your savings to expedite the shipping? Afterall you can save quite a bit!
4. What are the chances for your watch yo spoil in the first 2 years? After 2 years your watch will have see value as those who bought from authorized physical retail dealers.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2

·
Registered
1,817 Posts
Solid, reputable grey market dealers, as well as the used market, have reuined me for paying retail SRP and markup. I find I get a much better selection, the same quality at a much better price, without much added worry as a lot of dealers give their own warranty for a few months. I think if the watch is screwed up or going to break, it'll happen right away anyhow.

·
Registered
750 Posts
When buying online I would advise looking at LOTS of photographs of the watch you are thinking of buying. Don't just look at photos from the manufacturer, or from the seller, try to seek out "real" amateur photos from real people, ie taken in someones kitchen, and not in a photographic studio

And also, bear in mind that if a deal seems too good to be true, it probably is not a deal.

·
Premium Member
32,411 Posts
And also, bear in mind that if a deal seems too good to be true, it probably is not a deal.
Amen to that.

Buying on-line is just like a blind date-

Use common sense, check the pix and the warranty, make sure the seller has good references, use protection for your $ (Like PP and such), and if still uncertain, you can always opt out before you set the date......

·
Registered
96 Posts
Some opponents against online watch shopping will argue that:
1. I want to personally/physically feel, touch and wear the watch.
2. Online has many fakes!
3. Long long wait
4. No manufacturer warranty

My response to these will be:
1. Eyeing a nice timepiece online? Go to a retailer or boutique (more recommended) and try it out physically first. Then go and buy it online for some savings!
2. Buy from reputable websites. Search the forum for some references.
3. Use part of your savings to expedite the shipping? Afterall you can save quite a bit!
4. What are the chances for your watch yo spoil in the first 2 years? After 2 years your watch will have see value as those who bought from authorized physical retail dealers.
I might consider your 1st point, it makes sense. But lets say you want a DOXA & dont live anywere near the 2 dealers. Then your waiting a long time just to see them if you dont know anybody with one like me. Breitling says on their website to NOT buy watches online. I've heard stories of people buying fakes online, is there any online sites that sell more high end watches like Rolex, Breitling, Omega, etc. that are reputable. Whats the least you saved & whats the most you saved from buying online? A warranty is like a guarantee & some people want that.

·
Registered
59 Posts
I'd agree with most of what's already been said about being wary online, but I did buy my Hamilton Jazzmaster Open Heart from amazon and the transaction was great, no issues here! Would recommend.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts