WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
This was my grandfathers watch. I never met him, he worked for the government during and after WW2. He died in '83, 3 years before I was born...many cool and sad stories surrounded that man. Anyway...his 60's (I guess), 17 jewels, Swiss made - "Jovial" with the leather strap he had it on. I've seen some very similar vintage models here on WUS, beautiful pieces of history, no doubt. Those other models here I saw have "DeLuxe" written above 6 o'clock marker...my grandfather's have "Special" written there (makes me proud somehow). The watch still works, it hasn't been serviced since my grandfather died. Share your 2 cents... :-!
Here are the photos:

Attachments

·
Zenith Forum Co-moderator
19,146 Posts
Looks like a nice late fifties, early sixties watch. Jovial was an independent company located in Biel but using generic movements so you probably have something by Adolf Schild, FHF or similar makers inside.

Hartmut Richter

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Looks like a nice late fifties, early sixties watch. Jovial was an independent company located in Biel but using generic movements so you probably have something by Adolf Schild, FHF or similar makers inside.

Hartmut Richter
Thank you sir, what is a generic movement...? :-s

·
Zenith Forum Co-moderator
19,146 Posts
It is a movement made by an independent copmpany. Most watch companies do not make their own movements but get them from makers of generic movements. As a result, an ETA movement (for example) can appear in many different watch brands whereas a Zenith movement (for example) will appear only in Zeniths and maybe very few other brands. High class generics can be just as good as decent "manufacture" movements - they are simply made in their millions and therefore rather less special and valuable.

Hartmut Richter

·
Registered
18,176 Posts
It is a movement made by an independent copmpany. Most watch companies do not make their own movements but get them from makers of generic movements. As a result, an ETA movement (for example) can appear in many different watch brands whereas a Zenith movement (for example) will appear only in Zeniths and maybe very few other brands. High class generics can be just as good as decent "manufacture" movements - they are simply made in their millions and therefore rather less special and valuable.

Hartmut Richter
I have a contrarian take on this. A generic has the advantage of having been made by an organization whose only mission is making movements. This often resulted in economies of scale where it was easier to spread the cost of subsequent development over more pieces. Thus the number of improved calibres (movements) tends to be higher in generics. In addition, fine tuning a manufacturing line to produce precision is the result of experience. Since a generic is usually manufactured in higher quantities, improved precision is easier to attain. Lastly, a higher number of movements made usually correlates to a longer term availability of parts over manufacture movements.

Hartmut is correct that many collectors prefer manufacture movements over generic due to the exclusivity, but some (like me!) value the movements directly and will collect a variety of makers who use the same movement. The motivations of collectors are diverse :)

Don't use the watch without having it serviced. That will prevent damage and preserve it for subsequent generations. Another tip, record the 'provenance' (history) of the watch and keep it with the watch. Your grandkids will thank you.

Reactions: andrija86ze

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Since I'm a young and new member of this community I will try and learn (gradually of course) all I can about...well...peaces of history I hope. :) More knowledgeable members can be, as I'm guessing, treasuries of information should they choose to share.
I will have the watch serviced, like you said, to be sure that it stays well inside.
Thank you Eeeb for your comments and advice. |>

1 - 6 of 6 Posts