WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
While obviously not about watches, I felt the divers of the forum may want to see this. If this is too far off base, I apologize and feel free to remove!

"Colombian environmental authorities have reported a huge shark massacre in the Malpelo wildlife sanctuary in Columbia's Pacific waters, where as many as 2,000 hammerhead, Galápagos and whale sharks may have been slaughtered for their fins."

Shark massacre reported in Colombian waters | Environment | guardian.co.uk

·
Registered
398 Posts
Very Sad and should be punishable by dipping said perpetrators in Great White Shark infested waters!!

Reactions: slivver71

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I am very curious to see if anything else comes out of this incident. While both the Colombian and Costa Rican government have condemned the activity, I wouldnt be surprised if this just gets swept under the rug :(

·
Registered
1,102 Posts
This is incredibly sad news. People (as a general rule) suck.

·
Registered
3,251 Posts
de-fining of sharks has been going on for a very long time now...driven primarily by the high prices that Asians are willing to pay for those fins. it's happening all over the world, and it's not just the big sharks but the small ones too. i saw a show recently of poor fisherman in coastal Africa who net scores of small sharks each day. what they can rake in one single day's work of fins is equivalent to what the average local fisherman would make in 6 months.

it's extemely sad that these important creatures which have survived for millions of years will disappear from the oceans forever in the not too distant future. i'm not some environmental bleeding-heart nutcase but it's really sad how destructive mankind is to plant, marine and wildlife on this planet.

·
Banned
5,317 Posts
isn't this supposed to be a wildlife sanctuary?!? - any kind of patrols or anything. Not that I approve of this anywhere, but in a wildlife sanctuary is just an insulting slap in the face on top of horribly wrong and disgusting.

·
Registered
1,181 Posts
Unfortunately, the more sharks are wiped out, the price for their fins will increase; leading to more finning. Also, the more expensive the shark fin dish becomes, the greater its appeal to many people. The only way to stop this terrible, wasteful practice is to reduce its appeal among consumers. Organizations such as Wild Aid, who recently got Jackie Chan on board are helping to combat this. Hopefully his status in Asia will help.

·
Registered
408 Posts
The killing of sharks where I was in Okinawa was condoned (the city call or fisherman's union paid people to kill them) because sharks are thought of as a menace to tourists. Apparently whale sharks even lived off the coast of the island--but none have been seen in 20 years. Sad stuff. There was a show on TV where a local dive shop owner went out and killed a tiger shark in cold blood because they're bad for his business...I've never been so angry in my entire life.

·
Registered
8,886 Posts
This planet is SCREWED,SCREWED I TELL YOU!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts