WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I'm new to the forum so nice to meet you all!!!
My question is about these two dive monster: Shaumburg Aquamatic Basic and Benarus Barracuda.
Both are beautiful and heavy dive timepiece but I would to know what you think is better in quality, movement, features and so on.
The choise is so hard...:think:

·
Registered
1,698 Posts
I don't know about the movements, quality, etc., but Shaumberg's parent company was the one to design that case design and the Hong Kong company Longio copied it. If it was me, I would pick the the german Shaumberg.

·
Registered
2,132 Posts
I have never owned a Benarus. However I do own a Schaumburg. This thing is built like a tank. I would highly recommend it. Here is some of the details of the one I own based on Watch Buys Website.

The Schaumburg AquaDiver COSC 4 is built on an ETA 2824-2 automatic winding mechanical movement. Both the regulation and design of this movement have been given special treatment. First, the movement is made to COSC standards (contrôle officiel suisse des chronometres). These standards require that the movement must be sent to one of three testing centers in Switzerland (Geneva, Biel or Le Locle) for certification.

Professional divers, watch collectors and watch enthusiasts count on a COSC certified movement to indicate the highest level of regulation and mechanical timekeeping accuracy. The movement is also rhodium plated with blued screws and a blue rotor.

This watch is water resistant to 1,000 meters. Other features include grooved screw in crown with protective horns, screw on solid engraved case back, helium escape valve and uni-directional rotating bezel with click stops.

The real focus of your attention will be the case. It's massive, solid and extremely well made. The crown protectors feature a unique grooved pattern which is also repeated on the bezel edges. The lugs are milled from the same piece of metal as the case, and support a strap of 24 mm in width.

This watch sports a bold orange dial, and features large easy to read two digit Arabic numerals. The numerals, hands and markers are all treated with SuperLuminova for excellent night visibility. Date display at 6. This watch ships with a water resistant hand finished black calf leather strap with orange stitching. Sapphire crystal.

Because of the special savings on this watch, all sales are final and the watch is not eligible for return or exchange.

Also attached is a few pictures.

·
Banned
5,120 Posts
+1 for the Shaumgurg (ten times over)

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I have never owned a Benarus. However I do own a Schaumburg. This thing is built like a tank. I would highly recommend it. Here is some of the details of the one I own based on Watch Buys Website.

The Schaumburg AquaDiver COSC 4 is built on an ETA 2824-2 automatic winding mechanical movement. Both the regulation and design of this movement have been given special treatment. First, the movement is made to COSC standards (contrôle officiel suisse des chronometres). These standards require that the movement must be sent to one of three testing centers in Switzerland (Geneva, Biel or Le Locle) for certification.

Professional divers, watch collectors and watch enthusiasts count on a COSC certified movement to indicate the highest level of regulation and mechanical timekeeping accuracy. The movement is also rhodium plated with blued screws and a blue rotor.

This watch is water resistant to 1,000 meters. Other features include grooved screw in crown with protective horns, screw on solid engraved case back, helium escape valve and uni-directional rotating bezel with click stops.

The real focus of your attention will be the case. It's massive, solid and extremely well made. The crown protectors feature a unique grooved pattern which is also repeated on the bezel edges. The lugs are milled from the same piece of metal as the case, and support a strap of 24 mm in width.

This watch sports a bold orange dial, and features large easy to read two digit Arabic numerals. The numerals, hands and markers are all treated with SuperLuminova for excellent night visibility. Date display at 6. This watch ships with a water resistant hand finished black calf leather strap with orange stitching. Sapphire crystal.

Because of the special savings on this watch, all sales are final and the watch is not eligible for return or exchange.

Also attached is a few pictures.

Great presence!!!
the aquamatic I would to buy is a basic one (not COSC) and it's the new series so don't have an ETA 2824-2 but a SW20 A movement. Is it a valid choice as well instead of a more expensive COSC one?
Someone own a BASIC (not COSC) AQUAMATIC? How it run?

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Does someone else own an Aquamatic (without Cosc) possibly a new one with a SW20 A movement and tell me how it run? is it good almost the Cosc one?

·
Banned
5,120 Posts
Does someone else own an Aquamatic (without Cosc) possibly a new one with a SW20 A movement and tell me how it run? is it good almost the Cosc one?
I have no idea what the SW20A is, but I always assumed it was their own way of saying a Sellita SW200, which is in all ways the identical match to the ETA 2824-2, and I have that movement (Non COSC) in one of my watches, it runs -1 second per day and I LOVE it!

·
Registered
3,659 Posts
A COSC 2824 movement has internal and material upgrades over a base or elabore movement, it's much more than just regulation. If I plan on keeping a watch and not flipping it, I opt for the upgraded movement if it's available.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
A COSC 2824 movement has internal and material upgrades over a base or elabore movement, it's much more than just regulation. If I plan on keeping a watch and not flipping it, I opt for the upgraded movement if it's available.
Sure you're right but Cosc one is very expensive for me at the moment so I would to know if the basic aquamatic is good enought...any owner of a new basic aquamatic (with SW20A or Sellita SW200) out there?

·
Registered
3,136 Posts

Not necessarily. Quality of movement has the most to do with what grade it is. Most manufacturers will submit the highest grade movements to increase their chances of passing the COSC cert test which only makes sense but not all. Also a very large percentage 2824s can be regulated to meet COSC standards even thought they don't have the COSC certification. I have owned both SW200 and ETA 2824 and found they are both bulletproof movements that keep excellent time.

·
Registered
257 Posts
Isn't this comparison kind of a mute point since the Barracuda is not available anymore and used examples for sale are on par with the dodo bird.

Just my $0.02

-Bobby

·
Banned
5,120 Posts
There could be one up for grabs on the sales forum.

·
Registered
1,142 Posts
Isn't this comparison kind of a mute point since the Barracuda is not available anymore and used examples for sale are on par with the dodo bird.

Just my $0.02

-Bobby
You wonder why not many guys flipped the Barracuda ;-). I have one and I really like it. The movement is very accurate (+4 sec a day). The carbon dial is very intersteting and the quility of the case is one of the best I have seen from the HK company. So for $400 you are getting a very nice watch (if you can find one).

·
Registered
133 Posts
The Benarus uses the Miyota 8215 mov't (Japanese) while the Shaumburg uses the ETA 2824 or SW200.

Cases are identical, but everything else is different. Although the Benarus has the lower quality mov't, I think it looks a lot better. Also, less expensive. I've had the Miyota 8215 in other watches, without any problems. You can't really compare the two mov'ts, as the Swiss Made ETA beats the Miyota in every way. Nevertheless, I still opted for the Barracuda.

I think it looks great, and has quickly become my favorite dive watch. But as been said, good luck finding one ...

·
Registered
1,142 Posts
Is it possible to swap Miyota with ETA movement in Barracuda?
The movements are different size, so you will need the correct movement holder inside the case. But why do you need to swap? Just spend $25 on regulating the Miyota to COSC spec and you are good to go. Nothing wrong with that movement.

·
Registered
1,128 Posts
Somehow always thought it was inferior to swiss (unidirectional winding + already had Promaster Automatic that acted erratic)..
Does anyone have a photo of the movement inside the Barracuda?

1 - 20 of 22 Posts