WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 153 Posts

·
Registered
6,513 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I don't own any Shinolas. But I live in Metro Detroit, work downtown every day, so I follow them and generally support the concept of what they're doing. I like the looks of many of their watches, they seem quite well-constructed. I notice that they tend to be retaining a lot of their value on the secondary market, too -- a good sign for the company.

My problem with them is the same one many here have: They're quartz, and they're pricey.

I don't suspect that view is going to change with their new GMT travel watches, "The Rambler."

Watches | Free Shipping + Free Returns on Shinola Watches: The Rambler | Shinola®

44mm, with a "515.24H" movement constructed in Detroit from Swiss parts.

Stylistically, as is usually the case with their models, the design holds together. I love the clean look, the matte dial, the look of the GMT hand and the opportunity for a third time zone with the sharp-looking 24-hour bezel. I'm really liking the white and royal blue dials:

white dial Shinola.jpg

53326101_520.jpg

But $750. For a quartz. Here we are again.

Here's a conversation from Shinola's Facebook page announcing The Rambler that sums up where most are at rather well, and the company's response:

Guy on Facebook: Design is classic and very nice. Quartz is not. Please make one with a Swiss ETA 2824-2 or even a Seiko 7S36.
Shinola: Thank you for the kind words about our design. :) Our focus is on our in-house movements for our watches.
Same Guy: Great; make an in-house automatic, please.
Shinola: We'd love to! We're a young company and have a long road ahead of us. Slowly but surely, we'll get there. :)

·
Premium Member
14,766 Posts
Opened this one honestly expecting to see a watch that excited me. Shinola has some very nice looking watches. This one does not do it for me. Those lugs do not work with the bezel.....not sure there are many cases where those lugs would work on anything...

·
Registered
8,348 Posts
I like the design, not the price, and I'm getting a bit tired of writing "too big for me" but yea. Wish them success.

·
Registered
6,513 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
They definitely are taking an unconventional path to success. They have to know the WIS crowd isn't going to be too keen on their watches. Yet they're more expensive than the fashion watch crowd would typically pay. They want to justify the mark-up with what they are doing building it in Detroit with a lot of U.S.-made parts. Does that work? So far it seems to be, but we'll see how it pans out long-term.

They're no doubt going to one day build mechanical watches -- and probably stick to their desire to build the movements in Detroit. But it's not as if these quartz prices will be retained when that happens. Then the question will become, "Is the Shinola Automatic worth $1,500/$1,750/$2,000?"

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
I don't want it if they don't offer a 4000-year warranty, and they pay a courier to arrive at my home and ship it both ways if something goes amiss.

·
Registered
356 Posts
As they are an American company I wish them well, however, since they say that they appreciate feedback, here goes. I would not wear that watch on my ex wife's attorney's wrist. IMHO, $750.00 for a big, ugly quartz watch goes beyond being over priced. As I said, I wish them well.

·
Registered
1,947 Posts
The blue one looks great.
As everyone else said, it's quartz. I won't spend more than about 150 on a straight quartz. Eco drive, precisionist, etc, there is a little wiggle.
I have a Raymond Weil tango sport that my wife bought me for Christmas a few years back. It is overpriced on sale at @700.00 but is a chrono, it's square, blah blah blah.
If shinola came out with a hand Cranker I think their quartz stuff would seem more worthy somehow. But not at their prices.

·
Registered
2,057 Posts
I like the design, like everyone else I don't know about the price. Is that what they have to charge to turn a profit? Not sure. Maybe?

They are really popular here in Michigan. From what I can tell people who are not so fashion forward they'd buy a Armani watch but want something more than a department brand typically buy them.

I wish them well. Anything that draws more attention to the watch industry is a good thing IMO.

Reactions: Chascomm

·
Registered
157 Posts
Best of luck to Shinola. I live in the suburbs and used to work in the city. Anyone making a serious go of a business in Detroit has my support.
I've been seeing a few of their products on wrists over the last 6 months. Mostly on airplanes, where I spend an absurd amount of time. That's anecdotal, but I hope it means they're getting decent sales numbers.
Yesterday on the pm ATL/DTW run I spotted 2 guys in a group of 4 German engineering company dudes sporting Shinolas.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Ugh. Shinola diatribes? They are a money laundering operation. Former president Clinton wears one. Why? Shinola gave to the Clinton Foundation. They use quartz because they are cheap movements to buy, leaving a wider profit spread. They are not in house movements. They are Chinese sourced eta quartz clones. One thing to keep in mind is that they will depreciate fast.
Find them on ebay in a couple of years at 10% of new price. :(

·
Premium Member
10,376 Posts
Good looking watches and I can appreciate that they're putting Ders back to work, but not interested until they start using even cheap automatics. The only quartz that does anything for me is the GS 9F

·
Registered
219 Posts
I have to agree with everyone else on here. I lived in the D (now the suburbs) and I love the city and want to support Detroit businesses, but Shinola isn't worth it. Beautiful watches (some), but there is no way quartz should cost that much. Most of their other products are over priced as well. Check out their bikes.

1 - 20 of 153 Posts