WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
394 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, if I want to ship a watch to the U.S. from Canada and ship it to my hotel in New York, do I have to pay any tax or customs for a watch under 800$? The important note is that I am not a US citizen.
Cheers.

·
Registered
2,390 Posts
Why don't you wear it and have the receipt as proof it's owned by you.....

Hi, if I want to ship a watch to the U.S. from Canada and ship it to my hotel in New York, do I have to pay any tax or customs for a watch under 800$? The important note is that I am not a US citizen.
Cheers.

·
Registered
394 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Why don't you wear it and have the receipt as proof it's owned by you.....

Cheers.
The seller is located in Canada, it's a watch that I want to buy
Imports of $800 or less are excluded from duty. Make sure the seller describes the item and value correctly.
https://www.cbp.gov/newsroom/national-media-release/de-minimis-value-increases-800
So if the price is in CAD and after converting the money it worth under 800 dollar, i am excluded from duty and taxs so it doesn't matter the carrier nor the fact I am not a US citizen?

·
Premium Member
38,907 Posts

So if the price is in CAD and after converting the money it worth under 800 dollar, i am excluded from duty and taxs so it doesn't matter the carrier nor the fact I am not a US citizen?
Correct

What you need to declare and what you might have to pay when you return to your own country might be another matter though.

·
Registered
394 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

Correct

What you need to declare and what you might have to pay when you return to your own country might be another matter though.
Wonderful,.thanks for helping me out! Really appreciated

·
Moderator Public Forum
22,041 Posts

Customs is concerned about watches being imported into the U.S. If described correctly the watch should pass to you and you won't have any communication from Customs if they did the inspection or the shipping company if they are acting for Customs.

·
Registered
394 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

Customs is concerned about watches being imported into the U.S. If described correctly the watch should pass to you and you won't have any communication from Customs if they did the inspection or the shipping company if they are acting for Customs.
So is there any specific description I should ask the seller to use to avoid any misunderstandings with the customs and have the watch shipped to my hotel safely?

·
Premium Member
38,907 Posts
Yeah, and just making sure that it doesn't matter that FedEx will deliver the package right? Because sometimes these companies charge you for basically nothing
I have no idea what this means.

It’s a watch being shipped. Describe it as a watch. Don’t overthink it.

That’s all I’m saying.

·
Registered
394 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Yeah, and just making sure that it doesn't matter that FedEx will deliver the package right? Because sometimes these companies charge you for basically nothing
I have no idea what this means.

It’s a watch being shipped. Describe it as a watch. Don’t overthink it.

That’s all I’m saying.
Yeah I tend to overthink.. thanks for the help!

·
Registered
923 Posts
You didn't ask about this, but you might want to give the hotel a heads up that you're having a package shipped there and expect it to arrive on X day.

·
Registered
394 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
You didn't ask about this, but you might want to give the hotel a heads up that you're having a package shipped there and expect it to arrive on X day.
I will mail them to make sure they are aware of the package

·
Moderator Public Forum
22,041 Posts
So is there any specific description I should ask the seller to use to avoid any misunderstandings with the customs and have the watch shipped to my hotel safely?
An honest short description of what the watch is and it's real price.

·
Registered
394 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
An honest short description of what t
he watch is and it's real price.
I mean I'm buying it from the manufacturer itself so I guess the description should be legit?

1 - 20 of 20 Posts