WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello again.
I won an auction on ebay a couple of days ago,, and there seems to be a problem with the method of shipping the watch to my address (different country). Apparently DHL will charge 500 euro in insurance for shipping inbetween countries, and in addittion to that you need a special tape that cost 52 euro. CRAZY!!
UPS refuses to send any kind of jewelry or watches.
Please help me!! Does anybody have any kind of experience in shipping watches in between countries in europe? I would prefer to avoid using the traditional post ( I live in a country where I do not trust the post!!)
Thank you once again for your help.

Thomas

·
Registered
1,108 Posts
Hi Thomas,

i have good experiences with EMS as a courier service but why dont you use the 'normal'post office with a 'signed on delivery'?

post offices throughout europe will use tracking numbers so you can trace the package. I believe EMS will cost about 35-60 euro , the post office will cost between 20 - 30 euro

Rgds
-Rene

p.s. fedex will charge around 70 to 80 euro but is very reliable as well

·
Registered
1,062 Posts
Hello again.
I won an auction on ebay a couple of days ago,, and there seems to be a problem with the method of shipping the watch to my address (different country). Apparently DHL will charge 500 euro in insurance for shipping inbetween countries, and in addittion to that you need a special tape that cost 52 euro. CRAZY!!
UPS refuses to send any kind of jewelry or watches.
Please help me!! Does anybody have any kind of experience in shipping watches in between countries in europe? I would prefer to avoid using the traditional post ( I live in a country where I do not trust the post!!)
Thank you once again for your help.

Thomas
Thomas if its an expensive watch it'd be silly not to cover it via Insured,trackable delivery,claiming money for lost packages(although thankfully rare)from Postal services is a lengthy and time consuming process.

·
Registered
1,592 Posts
Insured Mail Fallacy

Thomas if its an expensive watch it'd be silly not to cover it via Insured,trackable delivery,claiming money for lost packages(although thankfully rare)from Postal services is a lengthy and time consuming process.

It may be a very good idea to double-check with your Postal Authority whether watches sent via Express Mail Service (EMS) are in fact insured.

I used to believe that too, but found out the hard way that Australia Post for example happily accepts the extra insurance money for a watch, but if the watch should get lost, they will point out that this sort of EMS shipment is in fact NOT covered. In that case, they will reimburse the insurance premium and just say sorry - maybe.

The only bulletproof way is to send a watch in a special category for coins, precious metals, etc., known as "value parcel" or simply "valuables" and have the item insured. This method may not be trackable by the customer and may be slower than EMS, but at least is is insured.

Luckily, in my case the watch dealer in Australia managed to have the watch tracked down and it was delivered after some delays.

Both the dealer and myself had been under the delusion - aided by the fact that Australia Post had collected the insurance premium - that the watch was insured. It would have been a nasty surprise if the watch would have been lost for good.

Just something worth thinking about...

·
Registered
1,592 Posts
Insured Mail Fallacy

It may be a very good idea to double-check with your Postal Authority whether watches sent via Express Mail Service (EMS) are in fact insured.

I used to believe that too, but found out the hard way that Australia Post for example happily accepts the extra insurance money for a watch, but if the watch should get lost, they will point out that this sort of EMS shipment is in fact NOT covered. In that case, they will reimburse the insurance premium and just say sorry - maybe.

The only bulletproof way is to send a watch in a special category for coins, precious metals, etc., known as "value parcel" or simply "valuables" and have the item insured. This method may not be trackable by the customer and may be slower than EMS, but at least is is insured.

Luckily, in my case the watch dealer in Australia managed to have the watch tracked down and it was delivered after some delays.

Both the dealer and myself had been under the delusion - aided by the fact that Australia Post had collected the insurance premium - that the watch was insured. It would have been a nasty surprise if the watch would have been lost for good.

Just something worth thinking about...

1 - 7 of 7 Posts