WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
306 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Repost here for bigger audience:

I need to send my watch to Germany for service under warranty. However, I was instructed to include the original invoice together with the proforma invoice with an declared value. The problem is that I dont have the original invoice as i bought it used and even when I bought other watch new, I dont normally keep the invoice. It doesnt make sense to me because it implies that any watch without invoice will have problems at the German custom, even with a low value item? (I have sent a $4k watch to Australia without invoice and no prob).

My question is if I send the watch without the original invoice with very clear description of my intention (service purpose, not selling), would the watch will still be in trouble with the custom? Anyone with experience before?

Thank you.​

·
Registered
9,384 Posts

I need to send my watch to Germany for service under warranty. However, I was instructed to include the original invoice together with the proforma invoice with an declared value. The problem is that I dont have the original invoice as i bought it used and even when I bought other watch new, I dont normally keep the invoice. It doesnt make sense to me because it implies that any watch without invoice will have problems at the German custom, even with a low value item? (I have sent a $4k watch to Australia without invoice and no prob).

My question is if I send the watch without the original invoice with very clear description of my intention (service purpose, not selling), would the watch will still be in trouble with the custom? Anyone with experience before?
No experience with this particular problem, but I've picked up several watches at the German customs with different documents. If will be difficult to get it through customs without any document clearly stating its value. But for watches bought used, they accept a printout of the PayPal transfer or something similar. How low is this "low value item"?

·
Registered
306 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Good insight, exactly what I need. it is about 600 Eur. But the manufacturer said that I need to declare lower value ($125) to avoid tax. i guess they dont wanna pay the tax then file docs to claim it back. The lower value works considering the watch needs service etc

·
Registered
10,751 Posts
Good insight, exactly what I need. it is about 600 Eur. But the manufacturer said that I need to declare lower value ($125) to avoid tax. i guess they dont wanna pay the tax then file docs to claim it back. The lower value works considering the watch needs service etc
Something a bit strange here--first, I have sent more than a 100 watches around the world, including several to Germany, and have NEVER had to include an original ownership/invoice document--normally, your PO can provide a form for you to fill out that states that this watch is being sent for repair--this same document is included in the box on the return shipment from the repair site, so that you don't have to pay taxes on the watch upon return, except for on whatever costs were incurred in the repair/replacement. Second, the declared value is also your insured value, so if it is lost or damaged in transit, that value will be the maximum that can be claimed--I have never heard a legitimate manufacturer ask you to do what is essentially illegal (undervaluing the goods you are sending in order to avoid customs fees is of course illegal). You need to exercise some caution here.

·
Registered
9,384 Posts
Something a bit strange here--first, I have sent more than a 100 watches around the world, including several to Germany, and have NEVER had to include an original ownership/invoice document
As the sender, you might not even notice that you should have.. Since VAT on import is the responsibility of the recipient, he has to provide the document if the sender doesn't. I've spent several hours waiting at the tax office to pick up watches which were sent with incomplete documents. Including getting there and back again, you can easily spend half a day on these formalities. I can totally understand that the watchmaker the OP is sending to isn't very keen on that..

Have you asked at FedEx or other parcel companies who do the customs as part of their service?

·
Registered
18 Posts

Thank you.​

i posted about this problem in the damasko forum. my shipping label had declared value of watch, and "service" on label. it was left in customs until damasko called them. i don't have original receipt either
i have not emailed asking what it needed, but plan to once damasko sends me an invoice. then post that info in the damasko forum.
bad thing was fedex said the watch would most likely end up just sitting there in customs forever if damasko didn't call.

·
Registered
714 Posts

Thank you.​

I'm glad you posted this. I'm about to send a Laco in for service and they requested I do the same thing. I purchased the watch from an authorized dealer via Amazon. I have that Amazon transaction receipt but nothing else. I wasn't exactly sure why they were requesting the "original invoice" or what I needed to do.

·
Registered
306 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
As the sender, you might not even notice that you should have.. Since VAT on import is the responsibility of the recipient, he has to provide the document if the sender doesn't. I've spent several hours waiting at the tax office to pick up watches which were sent with incomplete documents. Including getting there and back again, you can easily spend half a day on these formalities. I can totally understand that the watchmaker the OP is sending to isn't very keen on that..

Have you asked at FedEx or other parcel companies who do the customs as part of their service?
Exactly, and I have contacted Fedex with the retarded answer: its your choice to include the original invoice or not but if you dont, the custom MAY hold it. LOL

·
Registered
18 Posts
Exactly, and I have contacted Fedex with the retarded answer: its your choice to include the original invoice or not but if you dont, the custom MAY hold it. LOL
fedex never asked me for the original receipt, and was of absolutely no help to me. i received the email alert that my watch was sitting in customs. they had no answer as to why. all they said was getting it back to was was pretty much hopeless

·
Registered
306 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
UPDATE here so anyone in the same situation can refer to:

My watch was shipped to the company in Germany in 2 days!!! Thats as fast as Amazon's "2 day shipping", which usually turns out to be at least 3 days for me.

Rule of thumb is that you include as much supporting documents as you can, in my case: watch + box + warranty paper, pro forma invoice, the original email to the seller, paypal transaction when I bought the watch, airbill which stated that the watch was for service.

Gud luck guys.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts