WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
712 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought a Shogun almost a year ago and instantly fell in love with it.
However, it was running slowly and I took it to the Seiko repair center in Mahwah for a regulation.
When it came back, it was running about +5 Sec/day which was perfect.
That was about 2 months ago.
I've been self regulating it since then (dial up it runs slow over night, dial down, it runs fast over night) so that it was pretty much
dead on.
Within the last 2 weeks, it's been steadily losing time such that this morning it's about 30 sec slow.
I always put the watch on about 6:30 am, and wear it all day, taking it off around 9 pm or so.
Any ideas what's going on?
I really don't want to take it back to Seiko as I no longer trust them to be careful with my watch.
When I got it back from being regulated, a close look at the dial showed that almost every hour marker had dirt on the lume, as if the watchmaker
put the dial down on a dirty surface while working on the watch.
Unacceptable!
Any recommendations?
Who can I trust to regulate my watch and be careful with it?
Are these movements just not capable of holding their regulation for longer than a few months?
I'm really getting discouraged; I love the watch, but need it to be consistant.
I don't really care if it's +20 or -25 Sec/day, as long as it stays that way.
Lenny

·
Registered
3,720 Posts
It is said that the 6R15 is over-oiled by the assembly robots at the factory, and this can lead to long term accuracy issues. I recently built an SKX mod using a brand new Seiko NE15 (same as 6R15, just sold to parts suppliers and outside watch companies), and sent it to Randall Benson (aka 'Dr. Seiko') for complete disassembly, cleaning, rebuild with proper oiling, and then regulation. I've had it back for a few months now and it runs extremely well.

So, you may want to contact somebody like him to have the movement completely overhauled since the recent regulation did not hold well.

Or you could just have it regulated again and maybe that will fix it (maybe slight magnetization of the movement has happened).

·
Registered
1,248 Posts
Being that you are up north and it is a cold winter has me wondering if the temperature could be making it loose time. Its simply speculation on my part and not based on fact.

·
Registered
981 Posts
My SKX009K loses -10 seconds per day, but it picks up and gains +1 to +3 of the seconds loss overnight when I have my watch crystal down on the dresser bringing the total loss between -7 to -9 seconds per day which is reasonable for a watch with a 7S26 movement that's never been regulated which has made in China watch parts in it that was assembled in Malaysia.

The Shogun is a more expensive watch. I would think that the SR15 movement in it is a better movement than the 7S26 movement that's in my 009. It's too bad that you sent it to Seiko for repairs and they ruined your watch. I would never send any of my watches to them. They are atrocious for bad service and for butchering watches.

·
Registered
712 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
My Shogun will be on its way tomorrow to Randall at Dr Seiko for some TLC.
I'll report back when it returns.
Lenny

1 - 6 of 6 Posts