WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all. I have recently joined here and am at the very early stages of learning about the world of watches and acquiring a small collection. I have a Hamilton Khaki King Auto currently and Orient Sun and Moon (on the way). I've always liked the look of blue-dial chronograph watches and that's what I'm looking for to complete my mini collection - for the moment!

-40-42mm case diameter.
-Steel bracelet, blue dial.
-Quartz movement.
-Sapphire crystal
-Company with a decent name/reputation.
-Good water resistance is a bonus rather than a requirement (not a water sports guy)
-Budget of $400 max.

glycine.jpg

Winner at the moment looks like the Glycine Combat Sub Chronograph. Ticks the boxes above but mainly the price - there seems to be great deals as low as $150 at the moment. I looked at the Tissot PRC200, Citizen models incl. CA0650, Victorinox Fieldforce and Seiko 'Save the Ocean' chrono.

I guess my question is, is there any other brand or model that's worth a look? Anything else I should be mindful about when buying my first chronograph or is there anything you wish you had known before buying a Glycine or a chronograph in general? Thanks all!

·
Registered
8,828 Posts
Sounds like a good deal at $150 if you want Quartz specifically. Glycine watches have always been a relative bargain for a Swiss made watch. Invicta acquiring them has resulted in some changes documented in various threads here and on YouTube but generally the quality seems to be fine for the price paid.

Reactions: Colm

·
Registered
706 Posts
Hi all. I have recently joined here and am at the very early stages of learning about the world of watches and acquiring a small collection. I have a Hamilton Khaki King Auto currently and Orient Sun and Moon (on the way). I've always liked the look of blue-dial chronograph watches and that's what I'm looking for to complete my mini collection - for the moment!

-40-42mm case diameter.
-Steel bracelet, blue dial.
-Quartz movement.
-Sapphire crystal
-Company with a decent name/reputation.
-Good water resistance is a bonus rather than a requirement (not a water sports guy)
-Budget of $400 max.

View attachment 15117443

Winner at the moment looks like the Glycine Combat Sub Chronograph. Ticks the boxes above but mainly the price - there seems to be great deals as low as $150 at the moment. I looked at the Tissot PRC200, Citizen models incl. CA0650, Victorinox Fieldforce and Seiko 'Save the Ocean' chrono.

I guess my question is, is there any other brand or model that's worth a look? Anything else I should be mindful about when buying my first chronograph or is there anything you wish you had known before buying a Glycine or a chronograph in general? Thanks all!
I have that Glycine, and a blue San Martin chrono, both of which are fantastic and fit your criteria. The Glycine is a bargain under $300. San Martin: https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4000124551599.html

Other blue chronos I recommend are from EMG, McDowell Time, ROUE, and Arpiem, but they don't come with bracelets.

Sometimes a new chrono has hands that aren't perfectly aligned with the zero marker. With nearly all chrono movements (VK64 being an exception, maybe some others) it's very easy to reset the hands to perfect alignment with a few button pushes. Both the Glycine and the San Martin can be adjusted if needed.

·
Premium Member
71,472 Posts
If it’s blue you want the Dan Henry 1962 is a strong contender but it falls down on sapphire and comes as stock on blue leather. It’s still worth looking at though because it’s one heck of a watch.

·
Registered
706 Posts
Also forgot a great one: Zodiac Grand Rally. I would get the blue on leather, then buy an aftermarket bracelet with curved ends.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks all for replies. Pointed me into the direction of some interesting research on brands I didn't know much about. Zodiac in particular impressed me as I had never seen much by them before.

I ended up ordering the Glycine. Even if price/value wasn't an issue I'd probably have went for it considering it's specs and the fact that I really like it's styling. Even got an extra 5% off with a coupon so even with shipping and possible customs, still under $200.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts