WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
First post from a new watch owner!

Yesterday I got a ~€ 400 sub homage from a European manufacturer in the mail. The watch looks stunning, but smells quite strongly of engine grease oil. This smell transfers to my hands and bothers me at night. Is this normal? I would expect Swiss watches to be lubricated with more or less odorless oil. Would it be recommended to clean the watch with some kind of mild degreaser to get rid of the smell?

Also, the bezel doesn't quite touch the case on the left side. You can slide two-three sheets of printer paper under it, and it can be moved a tiny bit. The right side(where the crown is) is completely flush with the case. I'm assuming this is normal?

Hopefully your replies will put my mind to ease.

EDIT: The watch does NOT smell. It was the Dievas nato strap that didn't come with the watch.

·
Banned
21,244 Posts
I never had a watch that smelled of engine oil. Maybe you should try and wash the watch and bracelet with dish washer liquid and plenty of water? Toothbrush to get into all crevices?

A bezel should sit on symmetrically.

·
Registered
27,120 Posts
Its not normal to have this smell. Make sure the crown is screwed down tightly before you wash it, and don't use anything harsher than dish soap. This should hopefully take care of the problem.

·
Registered
1,817 Posts
I think the bigger problem is the bezel. It should sit straight and level on the watch, not lop sided or wobble up and down. It's broken. I would return it.

You could watch it with soap, dishwashing soap and that would most likely get rid of the entire problem completely. But I think you're ignoring a bigger issue, which is that they sent you a disgusting watch. I would send it back.

There's no way I would accept a watch with either of these problems. Not to be a huge a-hole, but I think these are major issues. People send watches back because of a smudge under the crystal, or mis-aligned bezel, don't get taken by accepting this. And engine oil? It's very pungent, something is wrong with the watch. They did something to this watch with the oil thing. The bezel is just a clear cut broken/defect on the watch. They use very small amounts of very light oil on watches, it should never be detectable.

Who exactly did you buy this from? IDK, this thing seems silly, troll bait?

·
Registered
11,474 Posts
Would anyone here accept a watch that smelled like oil and had a lopsided bezel?

Do not feed the trolls!!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Thank you for your replies. Since this is not not normal, I will contact the manufacturer. I just wanted to know what was normal or not before I did. I'm not trying to troll anyone.

To clear things up, it doesn't smell like engine oil, but engine grease. This stuff: http://2.imimg.com/data2/XS/IS/MY-3919368/grease-oil-250x250.jpg

Here is a picture showing the bezel not being flush with the case: bezel.jpg
It does wobble a TINY bit. Didn't know you could expect more for € 400.

Here is a picture of the face showing the dial alignment with the bezel: face.jpg

It looks ever so slightly misaligned to me.

In any case it's sad to have to send it back. Thanks for all your help.

EDIT: I'm starting to suspect it is not the watch itself but the 3rd party Nato strap that has the smell.

·
Banned
21,244 Posts
What make is it?

·
Moderator Public Forum
22,620 Posts
If it isn't the strap my guess would be a lot of lubricant under the rotating bezel. Post a picture...

·
Registered
249 Posts
Since it's a Sub style, the grease/oil smell may have been added for "effect" to give it that old diesel sub smell ;)

I have a feeling it may have been cleaned with something before packaging and the smell is still there from it being in the box. Probably will go away soon.

·
Registered
6,160 Posts
The insert alignment looks pretty good.
I do think some bezel "wobble" is normal for many watch designs. I've seen it on multiple watches, and it doesn't at all impact the rotation or usability. IME, anyhow.

Some bezels are a bit too tight. I have a few newer Seikos like that. That doesn't mean it's normal for your particular watch, just an FYI.

As for the odor, I'd bet it's the strap. I've had similar experiences, with a variety of cloths/materials in the past. Remove the strap, and hand wash it with dishwashing liquid.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
I can confirm that it is the Dievas nato strap, not the watch. I will update the first post.

If the slightly wobbly bezel doesn't affect the function of the watch in any way, I think I can live with it.

·
Banned
21,244 Posts
If you want to keep your Divas, maybe you could just ask a watchmaker to reseat the bezel.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
The watch is a Steinhart, the strap is a Dievas.

If all that is needed is a reseating of the bezel, then I think I'll wait until I have a new watch, and send this one back for repair on the warranty. Good excuse to get a new watch :)

·
Banned
21,244 Posts
All excuses are good if the result is a new watch!!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts