WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
2,425 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It seems like Casio is releasing more and more expansive analog watches and now with the release of the all metal square even extended the courtesy to digital squares.

High end all digital MRGs have been offered once already, so I wonder if it is time to pick up the idea again? After all the success that the new all metal square showed, is there enough interest for another all digital MRG as well?

I know I would be very interested in such a watch especially if it was really featured packed. All metal, saphire, MB6, GPS, Bluetooth and the 'usual' other features tough solar, world time, stop watch etc. I think it could very positively stand out as a durable high end and long lasting retro alternative in today's flavor of the day smart watch world.

Of course I realize that we already have the Frogman and the new Rangeman V2 as high end digitals, yet they are in a different category with different use in mind.

·
Registered
6,224 Posts
Yes, but it rather be not in 1000$ territory.
Even 500$ metal square is becoming a stretch.
But considering amount of good models which are listed but not readily available it will be good start to generally review lineup and make these available.
Casio has a lot of great watches contemporary and old, they don't even need to invent it.
Plus it will be nice to have digital edifice back and frankly less bulky G-Steel.
Even if they offer vintage collection in real steel it will be a hit.

·
Registered
1,677 Posts
But considering amount of good models which are listed but not readily available it will be good start to generally review lineup and make these available.
Casio has a lot of great watches contemporary and old, they don't even need to invent it.
Plus it will be nice to have digital edifice back and frankly less bulky G-Steel.
+1

·
Registered
108 Posts
Indeed. Most of the higher end g shocks aren't even worth looking at for me a my wrists are pretty small. Would be nice to have more options.

Sent from my SM-N960F using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,085 Posts
I would gladly welcome a digital MRG, as long as it wasn't too cranked up. I personally find most analog Casio dials too cluttered and difficult to read, except for the 3 hand Oceanus. I think it will be very hard for Casio to top the all metal 5000's, though. Only thing missing from their lineup is a resin screwback 5000. Can you post a picture of the last digital MRG?

·
Registered
6,224 Posts
They already did it with metal square.
The only way up is either made them out of unobtainum ... titanium hand forged by some monk with sapphire polished by virgins...
And or include GPS, but considering price of any metal G with GPS it will land in 1000$ or more.
Which essentially limits market. Considering they doing very good with current lineup price will only go up from current metal squares but this hits how luxury watch buyers see their purchases.
Hardly digital. At least in masses.
Obviously there is no problem to produce watch itself. Seiko did pretty good with their metal squares.
Too bad you can't get one new anymore.

·
Registered
2,425 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Can you post a picture of the last digital MRG?
This thread has a lot of pictures of older MRGs.
https://forums.watchuseek.com/showthread.php?t=4667929

That is the kind of the style watch I originally meant, except with more features and functions of course a design that is perhaps even more luxurious. Kind of a MRG1000 or MRG2000 in a digital version. A totally new desingn, so not a continuation of the square line by any means.

·
Registered
4,514 Posts
I would be all over a full titanium digital MR-G.

·
Registered
868 Posts
I have been wanting an all metal MR-G for years, but the new all metal squares are basically what I have wanted. But. With more standard strap atttachments, to enable zulu adapters. Louder alarms. Or robust vibrating alarms. Therefore, Casio is almost there.

But why not try something new? An all metal case, and bezel, shaped like a 6900? Billet aluminum, like a certain Freestyle limited edition model from a few years ago.

img56611188.jpg imgrc0067480548.jpg pics borrowed from internet.

Or, if they don't want to "dilute" the equity of the 6900, a GW-7900 with a billet aluminum case would be awesome. Nobody complains about this module's alarm volume. Although vibration would be fantastic, of course.

·
Registered
365 Posts
I think they'd have a hard time justifying charging the thousands of dollars the MR-G line is going for currently for an all digital and it might confuse what they perceive that line to be? I could be totally talking out of my backside too so grains of salt all around. That said, I'm all about the vintage all digital MR-G's so I'd certainly be interested in a new one if they made it.

·
Registered
6,224 Posts
MR-G is analog in current Casio view. it will stay this way.
Problem is cost of development vs sales.
I think i said on metal square forum once or some other thread metal square is already heavy. It either titanium or slim form factor.
Aluminum probably won't live to tell it's story after 10m fall or it will cost a lot.
I have provocative question to ask. How many of you would of bought metal square if ti would of been not a familiar square but in metal?
Just new model.
You know 500-1000$ asking price without iconic look attached to it?

·
Registered
9,071 Posts
Surely it wouldn't be that difficult to make an digital MRG? :think:
I know all the current MRG's are analogue, but bear with me for a moment.
Use the movement out of the GMW-B5000, add sapphire crystal glass, full titanium case & bracelet (plus stainless steel option for those who like the additional heft)
get rid of those nasty (my opinion ;-)) spring bars between the links and add proper pins held in with screws (more luxurious and upmarket, well it is an MRG after all)
God, it sounds heavenly! :)

·
Registered
9,071 Posts
It seems like Casio is releasing more and more expansive analog watches and now with the release of the all metal square even extended the courtesy to digital squares.

High end all digital MRGs have been offered once already, so I wonder if it is time to pick up the idea again? After all the success that the new all metal square showed, is there enough interest for another all digital MRG as well?

I know I would be very interested in such a watch especially if it was really featured packed. All metal, saphire, MB6, GPS, Bluetooth and the 'usual' other features tough solar, world time, stop watch etc. I think it could very positively stand out as a durable high end and long lasting retro alternative in today's flavor of the day smart watch world.

Of course I realize that we already have the Frogman and the new Rangeman V2 as high end digitals, yet they are in a different category with different use in mind.

You talk a lot of sense, Sir! :-!

·
Registered
868 Posts
...Aluminum probably won't live to tell it's story after 10m fall or it will cost a lot....
Yeah, I wondered about that. Too bad, aluminum looks so great. Although it has to be cheaper than titanium. Hard anodized, deep blue, c'mon, you know you want it!

...How many of you would of bought metal square if ti would of been not a familiar square but in metal?
Just new model.
You know 500-1000$ asking price without iconic look attached to it?....
I think I would. But then, my opinion is that the 6900 is THE iconic G-Shock, not the 5600. And the 7800 revived, with a metal case - Casio, take my money! Imho, that was Casio exploring the possibility of creating a successor to the 5600.

·
G-Shock Mod
13,911 Posts
The "general watch population" is the one determining the direction of MRG. From the lack of high end all digital watch from any manufacturer, I don't think the general watch population would go for an all digital MRG.

Don't get me wrong, "we" (the G-Shock enthusiasts) would jump in head first, but we are out-numbered and doesn't mark a good business case for the bean counter and share holders for the company.

I don't know. I would love it if Casio proves me wrong in this case. :)

1 - 20 of 46 Posts