WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
7,173 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I understand Gs are targeted to men so maybe a dancing fish isnt for every body but has anyone ever wondered what Gs would be like if they were a bit more fun (feature wise, not resin colour) like baby Gs? Or even if they were more like the vintage ones where they had quirky little features?

I popped some fresh batteries into my missus baby G work beaters and couldnt help but to proceed to wear them out with excessive button pushing haha but look at the details, the analog has a little G on the second hand, the digital has animated dolphins swimming (and a bunch of other sealife) and of course those coloured EL backlights. Imagine how much that would change the look of a G with the right colour? It’s a bit sad to see these little bits of pizzazz fall by the way side. i mean who wouldnt want a little running man during stop watch mode or a karate dude fly kicking another guy during an alarm?? (yes a feature on another baby g)

Also side note: these are from the mid-late 90s, so about 20years on the resin (about 5-7 in my wifes ownership) and the resin is fine. Def. not the best but certainly no sign of turning to dust like so many have foretold.

·
Registered
884 Posts
Well, they actually did that to some old Gs. Most famous are the DW-8150 series and is one of my favourites.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kT-XMlEE8-g

But you said it, it was from like 15-20 years ago. They have not done anything like that to any of their G's or BG's over the past 10 years, and they are increasingly unlikely to go the retro route and bring back these fun stuff especially their strategy now is to go upscale.

·
Registered
3,742 Posts
It would be cool on some models (especially on some of the fun models like starscream mentioned) as long as it doesn't displace functionality. I wouldn't mind a running man in stopwatch mode, but not if it prevented there being something like current time. That being said it would add a bit of nostalgia, reminding us of a time in our childhood when Casio watches were fascinating (at least for me they were).

I will say this though, my daughter hated the dolphin/puffer fish/dog/cat in the display of her Baby G. Don't get me wrong, she loved playing with it at first, but the problem was that it was displayed in the day window every time you activate the light. Ocassionally, she would wake up in the morning before sunrise, and in her sleepy state not remember if it was a school day or not. Well, when she would activate the light to see the day of the week, all she could see was the "kiddy" animal display. Apparently this was very frustrating to her because as soon as she got her S-series (pink camo) one of the first things she said was, "Good, it doesn't have that annoying PUFFER FISH!"

·
Registered
7,173 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
It would be cool on some models (especially on some of the fun models like starscream mentioned) as long as it doesn't displace functionality. I wouldn't mind a running man in stopwatch mode, but not if it prevented there being something like current time. That being said it would add a bit of nostalgia, reminding us of a time in our childhood when Casio watches were fascinating (at least for me they were).

I will say this though, my daughter hated the dolphin/puffer fish/dog/cat in the display of her Baby G. Don't get me wrong, she loved playing with it at first, but the problem was that it was displayed in the day window every time you activate the light. Ocassionally, she would wake up in the morning before sunrise, and in her sleepy state not remember if it was a school day or not. Well, when she would activate the light to see the day of the week, all she could see was the "kiddy" animal display. Apparently this was very frustrating to her because as soon as she got her S-series (pink camo) one of the first things she said was, "Good, it doesn't have that annoying PUFFER FISH!"
lol thats a pretty unique situation. on the off chance you forget what day it is and dont have the cognitive ability to mentally calculate it by powers of deduction then yes seeing that damn puffer fish would be quite frustrating lol tho i dont think i know of any model that actually has had a function removed for the sake of added "flair", its always just been an extra feature on top of the regular ones. but its not just colourful or animated kiddy additions, think about "grown up" applications - alot of them (and older Gs) came with a built in data bank, which amongst todays models could easily be used for data logging or the old fashion use of remembering numbers or passwords or whatever.
alot of ppl also complain about loss of night vision with some of the bright leds, what if you had a dual light where you could press one button and have the regular led light or press another and get a red EL backlight?
what about having animations for shifting weather on a triple/twin sensor? a little sun icon changes to a cloud with a question mark then to a rain cloud as the pressure drops, maybe even have a settable alarm if the baro drops x amount in less than an hour or soemthing. certainly well within their capabilities.

·
Registered
875 Posts
And it's not just the whimsy, either. Some of these Baby-Gs look... right. I've always admired this one, and wished that there was full size G version of it:

bgd141_CIMG0864c.jpg

And the Baby G's use a lot of coloured negative mirrored LCDs, which look fantastic, and they use what space they have more efficiently than the full sized Gs do:

bg-5601-4jf-a.jpg

And the awesome coloured resins and padded bullbars are cool too:

bg-169g-4dr_00_3.jpg (pictures stolen from the internet)

·
Registered
3,742 Posts
but its not just colourful or animated kiddy additions, think about "grown up" applications - alot of them (and older Gs) came with a built in data bank, which amongst todays models could easily be used for data logging or the old fashion use of remembering numbers or passwords or whatever.
alot of ppl also complain about loss of night vision with some of the bright leds, what if you had a dual light where you could press one button and have the regular led light or press another and get a red EL backlight?
what about having animations for shifting weather on a triple/twin sensor? a little sun icon changes to a cloud with a question mark then to a rain cloud as the pressure drops, maybe even have a settable alarm if the baro drops x amount in less than an hour or soemthing. certainly well within their capabilities.

I agree completely. I remember as a kid, how cool it felt to have a watch that stored phone numbers (back when remembering phone numbers mattered), and how much fun it was to see people's reaction when they saw it. Its really the fond memories of how much fun Casio's were to me as a kid that got me back in to collecting G's a few years ago. I think people (amongst watch collectors) who don't understand why people collect G-Shocks fail to appreciate how much fun they are. I would definitely welcome it if Casio would draw on that heritage and add some of those quirky features (such as animations) to modern G's.

I especially like your dual light idea. They could even have the red EL and then have a LED that worked as a low output wrist light. Somewhat like the Victorinox Night Vision 2. Battery life might be an issue, but it really wouldn't have to be any brighter than the LED on the GPW to be effective. In fact, you can actually use the GPW as it is for this purpose.

Also...I gotta get me one of those Baby G's with the flying side kick on the alarm

·
Registered
875 Posts
....ppl also complain about loss of night vision with some of the bright leds, what if you had a dual light where you could press one button and have the regular led light or press another and get a red EL backlight?....
Really like this idea.​
.... They could even have the red EL and then have a LED that worked as a low output wrist light. Somewhat like the Victorinox Night Vision 2. Battery life might be an issue, but it really wouldn't have to be any brighter than the LED on the GPW ....
Yup, let’s give the smartphone-using non-watch-wearing humans a reason to start wearing a watch again.
And since the light is never going to be super bright, why not a 2 output level red LED? ALSO, a 2 level alarm. Oh, and while we are at it, a sunrise/sunset readout/alarm would be awesome, and de rigeur for vampires and slayers!

·
Registered
7,173 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
yessss! now we're getting somewhere.
two definitely angles that are in need of some attention - actual practical tactical functions instead of just calling it "military" because of the colour or the type of strap and the fun side where it hooks in the youngsters that like pointless gizmos. i think alot of ppl esp. the older manly men think its childish to have anything other than a cast iron cuff but they forget where it starts for alot of ppl at thats usually at a younger age when theyre not full of piss and vinegar haha.

the two stage led is a great idea, completely doable with minimal changes required, just make sure it goes on a solar powered number and itd be good to go.

interesting you should mention about the alarms, batteries arrived for another baby g and while trying to find the h-set option i came across a function to change the alarm and chime tones! its only a slight variation but enough for an audible distinction to two diff. tasks that could be going at the same time.
this was a 2010-ish model too so its not like its a long lost feature either.

·
Registered
875 Posts
....function to change the alarm and chime tones! its only a slight variation but enough for an audible distinction to two diff. tasks that could be going at the same time. ....
P1050125.JPG

This watch has 3 alarms, all of which have different ring patterns, beeps, warbling etc. Imho, Timex did a pretty good job channeling some of that G-Force with this one.

....actual practical tactical functions....
....the two stage led is... ...completely doable with minimal changes required, just make sure it goes on a solar powered number and itd be good to go.....
You know, as long as it’s solar, there’s a built in sensor for ambient light levels, so for a militarily useful G-Shock, why not have the G regulate the illumination level to the environmental conditions? That way you could check the time without being blasted an instant later by some NVG equipped sniper. A positive display with negative illumination, two levels: stealth and normal.
Then you could incorporate a red led on the watch face, again with 2 levels, stealth and just bright enough to make out a path (having an aircraft landing light on your wrist is, imho, just asking for trouble in a war zone). Heck, quite a few Gs already have an eye, so why not make it really useful? Also, the display should indicate which mode the light and backlight will come on in. The indicator for higher levels should not be static, but should blink, like the REM of old, or even pulsate.

Personally, I would be happy with a normally powered G, using a big 2032 lithium cell. That way you could have a bright/dim light, guilt free use of the bright/dim backlight, and loud/soft alarms. You could incorporate a coin slot battery changing hatch, for easy changes in the field. A capacitor so that you wouldn’t lose any settings while doing so, or at least a means of resetting the module from the battery change hatch.
Heck, you could even incorporate this all into a screwback, using concentric ring connectors. The 35th anniversary is coming up!

·
Registered
875 Posts
I guess you could polish the Baby-G word off and wear it :p
haha. nah, too small and the colours are girly enough ;)
I just thought of an excellent marketing campaign: Casio should get some all time greats from the UFC to wear Baby-Gs. THe internets would go CRAZY with pics of Fedor and Bas sporting the likes of these, LOL!

bas1.jpg Bas.
And here's Bas's watch:
bas3_by-g-ba111-4-ba-111-4a-ba-111-4adr-ba-111-4ajf-rose-gold-ladies-esupply-1407-09-Esupply@2.jpg

fabricio-werdum-vs-fedor-emelianenko.jpg Fedor.
Fedor's watch:
fedor's_BGD-141-7D-01-500x500.jpg
Nobody's going to be laughing at their watches, and the publicity would be amazing. And girls would not stop buying them either.

·
Registered
4,477 Posts
Wrote about these 2 baby G's before, see below. The BG169 has Databank and day counter, something even grown man's Gs don't have, at least for ones still in production.

An update to gift giving #1 above, the kid already broke the watch band! He's wearing the watch no more. Oh well, good thing it's just cheap watch to test the water. Here are my gift giving #2 and #3.

Watch: BG169R-4
View attachment 2430473
For: Niece #1
Result: Accepted, but only tentatively. Have not seen her wearing it yet.

Watch: BGD501-2
View attachment 2430497
For: Niece #2
Result: Accepted, wearing it right away! This niece is college bound, so I guess the maturity helps to realize this is a good watch.

Like I said, it's not easy at all to give someone a watch. It's either a hit or a miss. It's actually a very personal thing for choosing a watch that fits one's taste. Especially harder for young kids these days, who don't care much about watches. As you can see 3 watches as gifts, 2 came back a failure. Oh well. Here are some comments about the BabyG's.

The BG169 actually has some pretty interesting features, which I have not seen in newer men's G-shocks, one being the telephone databank and the other being the day counter. Not sure who would still use a watch to store telephone numbers in this day and age with the popularity of cellphones, but nonetheless it's a pretty geeky DB watch feature in a BabyG. You can store up to 25 contacts/numbers. The day counters, 5 total, can be used to count down to a specific day. You can setup 5 different days and count down to them simultaneously. Not sure how much that would drain the watch battery, but I guess being counting the days only, not seconds like the count down timer, it wouldn't drain much. There seems to be no way to simply switch off the day counters. I've checked the entire manual, but only got instructions on how to set it up, but nothing on how to turn it off. Another interesting thing is each time you press the EL button, an animation will show, like a whale, a puffy fish or something like that moving around.

The BGD501-2 is actually a pretty rare find. I got lucky that I saw it the first store I checked out. And I have not seen it in other stores. Nice color combination for a girl / lady. It's very easy to set and to look at the time. It has EL too. Not as many features as the BG169, but nonetheless a classic BabyG. It does have a 24h timer, but only a 1h stopwatch, unlike the BG169 which has 24h timer & 24h stopwatch.

Reactions: Tetsu Tekubi
1 - 17 of 17 Posts