·
Registered
305 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have the following watches:
1) Speedmaster
2) Explorer 1
3) GMT Batman

I would like to add a diver or a watch with good water resistance. I want it to be a daily watch. Been deciding if I should get the Submariner or a Superocean. The sub is quite similar to the GMT so I figure the Superocean could add some diversity to the collection. And the blue on the Superocean is amazing.
Is the Superocean a worthy watch? Or I should just stick with Rolex diver? Any other alternatives that you recommend? Thank you.

Screen Shot 2019-01-12 at 11.48.57 PM.jpg

·
Registered
3,607 Posts
Keep it in the existing family. I have an Omega 42mm Planet Ocean on a rubber strap and that fits the bill.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
10,150 Posts

Breitling is a dead brand, I wouldn't go there.

Since the watch you're considering is dressy, has a blue dial, has stick markers, has a date window, has a polished case, and has an intricate bracelet, let me recommend the Datejust 41, blue sunburst dial, smooth bezel, jubilee bracelet. Similar in feel as the Breitling but not of the diver/GMT genre, not a redundant bezel look and a lot more versatile on the weekends, at work, or a more formal occasion like a wedding.

·
Registered
659 Posts
I'd pass on the Breitling. One try on at the AD, and it immediately fell to the bottom of diver contenders. Just looks and feels all wrong to me.

However, try it for yourself and see what you think.

I ultimately purchased the Tudor BB 41, with the Omega SMP 8800 as a 2nd place runner up.

·
Registered
3,301 Posts
I'd pass on the Breitling. One try on at the AD, and it immediately fell to the bottom of diver contenders. Just looks and feels all wrong to me.

However, try it for yourself and see what you think.

I ultimately purchased the Tudor BB 41, with the Omega SMP 8800 as a 2nd place runner up.
Technically, the Superocean is not a Diver. If you're after a diver that is.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Premium Member
1,814 Posts
I loved the Superocean in pics I just wasn't as crazy about it when I tried it on. Not a knock on the watch it's a very nice watch but for some reason it didn't connect with me. If I were in your shoes I'd add a Sub or Planet Ocean as my dive choice.

Edit: Nice current 3 watch collection btw

·
Premium Member
1,834 Posts
You can’t go wrong with a Submariner... maybe the ND Sub, just so it is further distinguished from the GMT with a lack of cyclops, or maybe a 4/5-Digit reference (probably 5 if worried about WR).

You could go Pelagos for a very sport and bold blue Diver, and have a very true sport watch.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,765 Posts
You want a dive watch? blue, to complement your current (very nice) collection? Forget the Breitling. Personally I think its a weird watch. Part dress, part diver, part modern, part heritage. You cant go wrong with a Pelagos. A proper dive watch, titanium case, 70 hour power reserve, nice ceramic bezel, adjustable bracelet (plus free high quality rubber) and the legibility and lume are unrivalled. Take a look at the new Omega seamasters too IMG_5498.JPG IMG_5641.JPG

·
Registered
297 Posts
Really? Just buy what you want, what you like. Vote results likely to be skewed given the brand of this forum subsection...

·
Registered
147 Posts
If not sticked to Breitling only, you could try Omega PO Liquidmetal Titanium, superb watch, very light and extremely hard to scratch.
As well without that shiny look of a steel, titanium is versatile as hell, and last forever.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
11,597 Posts
I've owned a couple of Breitling Superocean watches in the past but no longer do. My recommendation: 114060 Submariner.

·
Premium Member
13,401 Posts
I would suggest looking at a 2500 (C or D) Planet Ocean instead of getting a Sub. (They're not as thick/bloated as what they're making now.) Big pass on the Breitling.

·
Registered
1,343 Posts
Datejust-41....
Unless you actually DIVE....you have most sport-watches covered.
Datejust (and your Explorer) are some of the most versatile watches available.

·
Registered
9,901 Posts
I’d also suggest the PO 2500 or the newer SMP. The latter has a great movement. But if you want a diver with more wrist presence then try on the POs with the 8900 or 8800 movements.

·
Registered
3,607 Posts
One more plug for the Planet Ocean. It has an independent hour hand that is wonderful feature if you travel.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

1 - 20 of 48 Posts