WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
OK here's the deal: the first time I saw a picture of Pharrell wearing a white (gasp!) G-Shock, I knew I had to have one. I've been rockin' Shocks for many years- they're prevalent in the military community - so I already loved them. I'm not blingy, but I love all things white (sneakers, watches, belts, clothing), so when I saw it I immediately really wanted to track one down. I've been so busy over the past couple years that I never spent the time... but I've continually desired a white Shock. So now I'm getting one.

Now, I'm not stupid- I'm not going to pay 4 or 5 bills for BAPE G. But I'll happily go to the Casio website and pay <$100 for a common white model. So what, it's missing a few logos here and there. However, I do like the BAPE colorway, so I figured I would look.

Well, I track down this ad on Craigslist- some kid claiming to have one. So I asked for a few detailed pics if he still had it, and that I will buy it if he produces them. For $100 (haha, I know) I figured, "What the hell. Worth a shot in the dark", right? So low and behold, he replies, sends pictures, and says he has not one but TWO for sale. At first glance I'm like "ah hell yes", as I see gold gorillas on the box. He even includes a piece of paper with his email server in the pics so I know he didn't steal the images off of the internet.

Well, I have a closer look and realize that they are indeed fake. Just for clarity, I will post them up so people can agree with me.

#1 The logo looks gold! Ahh, but it must just be the lighting because you'll see in the following pics that it's not. (strike 1)
#2 The cardboard corner inserts in the box (at both ends of the watch band) fit poorly and are not flush with the box. (strike 2)
#3 Brown tag looks off in color. (strike 3)

#4 The "Bathing Ape" text on the band is too low (strike 4)
#5 ...and the text is incorrect (strike 5)
#6 ...and the sets of indentions on the band are missing. (strike 6)

#7 The "P" indicating P.M. is located too far to the left for it to be a real G. (strike 7)

#8 There's no 'Casio' printed on the casing and the serial number is clearly bogus and not imprinted. (strike 8)
#9 There's no black plastic 'frame' under the case, as there is with an authentic product. (strike 9)
(I'm [email protected]#%!ng Roger Clemens, 'cause I just struck this dude out three times. Anyways, you get the idea.)

Well, at first I'm like "oh, well... what did I really expect for a hundred bucks...". However, I then re-read this and decided to be pissed:

"Here are some more pictures with my name next to it. You sent me two emails so just to let you know, I am the only one of craigslist selling these. They are very hard to find. Let me know if you have anymorequestions. I have two more left."
Jason

Then I realized this punk goes to the College of New Jersey by looking at his email address, and 2 + 2 = 4: I go to their online directory and after 2 minutes, bam- there he is... Jason Chao. Lookie what I found:

http://www.tcnj.edu/~chao3/index.html

What. An. Idiot.

So now here is what I was about to send him:

"Trying to sell fake ****? Too bad... Maybe the university president at The College of New Jersey would like to know he has a student of his community selling illegal merchandise on the internet to the unsuspecting..."

But now I'm thinking of just straight-up emailing their Board of Trustees.

Should I bust this JV scam artist?

·
Registered
12 Posts
There are far too mny of these fakes cropping up everywhere, Ebay is full of white, yellow and pink ones, and young, impressionable kids are lapping them uo because they want to look like their favourite rap artists. A fool and his money are easily parted. Bust his ass, boy:-d

Rob H

·
Registered
472 Posts
I know where you're coming from. I've reported plenty of fake Frogman sellers on ebay and it feels good to get back at people taking advantage of others. However, before you get this kid in trouble, how sure are you that he actually is aware of the fact that these are fake Bapes? TONS of people can't tell the difference. It might be obvious to you and me (and it is) but there have been countless unsuspecting people who have paid ridiculous sums of money for a fake. Couldn't the seller have made the same mistake himself?

I'm not defending the guy and if he's a scam artist then fry him. Just be sure you know what you're doing or you could cause this kid some serious damage for nothing. Just my .02

Take care. b-)

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ahh, words of wisdom.

Yeah I have considered that possibility. But his Craigslist ad - which I happened to discover - is from New Orleans, and he has the watches at school in Jersey... <|

·
Registered
472 Posts
Ahh, words of wisdom.

Yeah I have considered that possibility. But his Craigslist ad - which I happened to discover - is from New Orleans, and he has the watches at school in Jersey... <|
Yeah, if you've got proof that he knows what he's actually selling then he deserves what's coming to him. I'd hate to be in his shoes. ;-):rodekaart

·
Registered
764 Posts
You should totally bust this guy regardless of who he is and where he goes to school, in fact make some stuff up as you go along and email it direct to the top brass.
meanwhile take a look at what I did to my 'bape' here: https://www.watchuseek.com/showthread.php?t=81004

Maybe the scumbags peddling this rubbish will get the message one day....

·
Registered
285 Posts
Bust him quick! These universities need to police themselves. They let any scoundrel in that can raise the tuition. The guy most likely knows what he is doing,if he doesn't you are doing him a big favor. I see that he is majoring in international business- he must have skipped a few classes. He should thank you for enhancing his academic education by a real world application. He will learn lessons in english "can you spell fraud", business law "false advertising", and some criminal justice- "wire fraud" and some U.S. government"postal laws". I am sure there are others that the New Jersey Attorney Generals Office and Casio Headquarters(based in N.J.) would enjoy explaining to him.

·
Registered
4,619 Posts
I think actually buying one is a mistake anyone could make, but buying a couple and selling them on, stating they are rare and genuine is pretty much inexcusable. Before you sell something as authentic and rare, you should be responsible enough to make sure it is. Otherwise, any comebacks are deserved. That's my take on it.

·
Registered
5,160 Posts
I'm a complete noob when it comes to fakes but my objective observation tells me that if he really believed they were genuine, he'd try to sell them for nearer what the real ones go for, rather than trying to flog off two to the first wood duck that comes along...

...I'd say he knows exactly what he's got and he thinks you're a naive sucker who won't be able to tell the difference...why not sell him two. :think:

Isn't this a police matter anyway? I mean, what is a college really going to do? It's a good defence to say he bought them believing they were real as well...some dean isn't going to know anything about this kind of fraud.

·
Registered
1,020 Posts
"#8 There's no 'Casio' printed on the casing...":rodekaart:rodekaart:rodekaart:rodekaart:rodekaart:rodekaart:rodekaart:rodekaart:rodekaart:rodekaart:rodekaart:rodekaart:rodekaart:rodekaart:rodekaart:rodekaart:rodekaart:rodekaart:rodekaart:rodekaart:rodekaart:rodekaart:rodekaart:rodekaart:rodekaart:rodekaart:rodekaart:rodekaart:rodekaart:rodekaart:rodekaart:rodekaart:rodekaart:rodekaart:rodekaart:rodekaart

Everybody, even noobs, know CASIO makes G-shocks. There are other shock resistant watches out there, but but CASIO makes G-shocks! No "Casio" on the watch = not a Casio.

"I'm a complete noob when it comes to fakes but my objective observation tells me that if he really believed they were genuine, he'd try to sell them for nearer what the real ones go for, rather than trying to flog off two to the first wood duck that comes along..."

I agree, bust him. He probably found out they were fake after he bought them. Sadly, I doubt much will happen to him, the police got bigger problems on their hands than a few replica casios.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Im going to have to agree with the other people. He may not know that he was selling a fake g shock watch. What makes me think this is if he truely was trying to scam you, he would of sent you a picture of a real one right? Also he would mark the price up a lot higher. I have bought stuff online and on craigslist where people would post pictures of real stuff and send you completely different things.

One way to check if he legitimately knows if its fake or not is to send him another email asking some questions.

Like where he got it from and and if hes 100% sure its real. If hes a flat out liar then he should get the death penalty. If hes honest then maybe he should just be told its fake

It would be ashame to get him in trouble if he has no idea its fake. Just a thought....:roll:

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
I wouldn't want to punk some kid who didn't know any better- that would be unfair- but in his email he says "I'm the only one selling them on Craigslist. They are very hard to find." So obviously he's trying to get me to believe that they are unique/rare, two qualities extended to REAL, limited edition items. The price would imply he knows it's fake as well. If he really was dumb enough to think he had multiple pieces of a collection that was limited worldwide to 2000 items, you would think he would have found out how much they were worth. He's a college student, so he's not a TOTAL moron. Or maybe he is...

As for the police, I doubt they will do anything about this. His university, however, could suspend or expel him. And having that on your record is not particularly helpful as you search for opportunities in life - ESPECIALLY in business (business ethics 101, anyone?). No one wants to do business with a liar or a scam artist.

·
Registered
285 Posts
99% certain he is laughing all the way to the bank knowing that no one will say any thing.
Just to make things interesting I would encourage you to place a call to the University police department.

·
Registered
643 Posts
Just to make things interesting I would encourage you to place a call to the University police department.
Personally - I doubt anybody will care. It's your say so against his say so. As much as he may be a fraud and you are 100% correct about this watch being a fake (your case is quite convincing by the way; except don't judge color based on digital camera photos displayed on a computer monitor). It's unlikely that anybody - university police, regular police, FBI, dean of students or anybody else - will get a search warrant because some random guy (perhaps holding a personal grudge) told them such and such person has 2 (two!) fake watches for sale. The most that might happen is someone from the administration or the faculty might call him in and say 'look, some random person called the school and claimed you are trying to sell them a fake watch; if you in fact did - don't do it again, OK?' But they are not going to throw him out of school, arrest him or kick down his door SWAT style ... As somebody else here already remarked: the police have better things to do than chase after a kid peddling a couple (as in: TWO) fake CASIOs. And I'd add that university personnel know better than to seriously punish somebody for something that they have no way of knowing really happened or if it's factually correct. And I'd guess they are too busy to try and verify. For all they know - you don't like the kid, you took the photos yourself, and maybe even made the posts yourself. Sure they could set up a 'sting operation' to find out what's really going on; but they I'm pretty sure they neither have the legal authority nor the time or inclination to do so. Legally - they probably couldn't do much other than report this to... the police.

Michael

·
Registered
3,140 Posts
I agree with Michael that little to nothing will be done; despite that I'll be watching CNN closely over the next few days to see if it makes the news:-d. Helicopters outside the dorm, tear-gas through the windows, a Larry King special. I can see it all now;-).

·
Registered
2 Posts
Also to add to the previous feedbacks, all this is based off of 1 email?? :rodekaart If you emailed him a few times and he continuously lied and you knew for a fact that he was doing this on purpose, then you have A LITTLE reason to be angry. I mean you are basing this whole thing off of 1 email that you wrote to him correct? Also did you even purchase this watch? If not, you really have no proof at all. Reporting this to the college won't even do anything because it is simply your word against his. I have a legal background so I know this. The college can not do anything to the kid unless it directly involves the college. If he gets a DUI and gets pulled over for drugs, he still won't be suspended. It is not like he is selling hundreds of them to the public. He may be just coming out of highschool and thinks they are real and just selling them for what he bought them for. Not everyone does research on the G shocks and they do look very real to younger unsuspecting people.

Honestly, you are probably wasting your time and looking way too far into it. Although the thought of cops storming into his dorm and busting a young college kids dreams by getting him expelled based off of one email maybe sound awesome....... it won't happen.

Just stating what I see here. Everyone is going against the kid without even knowing the facts and this whole thing is based off of one email.

Personally I hate people selling fake Casios but I have seen much much worse. If it looks too good to be true, IT IS. This does not even compare to the things I have encountered in my past.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
It's funny that members are chiming in that all of this information is unverified etc. but are clinging to his word that he only has "2"... What is he's using that line to create interest. What if this kid is selling tons of these things?

I mean, I generally agree- I'm not throwing my computer across the room in disgust or deploying my legal team- but he's using a university account to commit fraud. I would think that someone might care.

·
Registered
439 Posts
If there is something that can be done (within reason) to stop counterfeits from being sold, I am all for it. Do what you can and what you think is appropriate, hopefully it will work.

mike

1 - 20 of 24 Posts