WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner
1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
700 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Before everyone gives me the expected answer I would like you consider the following:

Pro: It is a seriously awesome watch. I don't have a Frogman. It is "Atomic," and nothing is cooler than saying "Atomic Frogman." It has lots of useful features, like multiple alarms and timezones. It is a seriously awesome watch. Passover is coming in a few weeks, and "Frogman" sounds a lot better than "Liceman" or "Death-of-firstbornman." And it is a seriously awesome watch.

Con: I have many other watches, including a Mudman 9000, G-8000, G-9050 (my first G), an ARTI Wademan and a Haaken Wademan. (I may sell to fund a Frogman.) It has lots of useless features, like a tide graph -- something I will never, ever use. And I saving up for a Seiko Sping Drive, and the $600 will set me back on that count.

So, what say you?

·
Registered
2,973 Posts
Hypothetical question: if you were just $600 away from the Spring Drive (which model do you fancy?), would you even consider the GWF-1000?

I'd say continue saving, buy the SD, rest your wallet for a month and then consider selling some of the other Gs to fund the Atomic Frog.

·
Registered
743 Posts
Of course! Buy two!

Ok, now that that's out of the way... If you don't have a Frogman yet, I'd say to go the cheaper route and get a GW-200 Frog of your choosing. They are a good deal cheaper and although they also lack the atomic functionality, they are still solar powered and don't have the tidegraph which would as you said, be wasted. I also think that in a lot of ways the GW-200 looks better than the GWF-1000. That's just my $0.02.

·
Registered
922 Posts
I sold my Dawn Black frog to help fund the 1000. No regrets. They do not even compare. As for my other Gs, they fit it when I think they are lonely. Get it.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Dud u said it ur self. There is nothing like a atomic frog. It's the best watch casio has in it's line up. That's my $0.02

·
Registered
179 Posts
ooh...im kind of biased when it comes to this, but i definately think you should get one! the only thing is that the watch will kind of look foolish if you dont have a wrist 6.75 inches or above. i would also try and sell off the other g shocks except for your first g shock and the mudman. if thats not an option, id say go for a dw-8200 which can be found for a relatively good price. the gwf-1000 is an awesome watch and though its not titanium, it comes with a very fashionable black steel. if you change your mind about the frogman, maybe you can get a G7900B?

·
Registered
29,512 Posts
Hypothetical question: if you were just $600 away from the Spring Drive (which model do you fancy?), would you even consider the GWF-1000?

I'd say continue saving, buy the SD, rest your wallet for a month and then consider selling some of the other Gs to fund the Atomic Frog.
Sage advice.

·
Registered
376 Posts
The watch definitely has presence. Now… if you have a thinner wrist; it will NOT look good. My wrist is 7 inches . It fits well. The aesthetics are there. The shear looks are amazing!

PROS: Looks, comfort and fit. It was built well! Many, many compliments! Adds more “manliness” to an already manly man!

CONS: Initially the cost was a little scary but when I received it….. GAME ON!

·
Registered
347 Posts
"Pro: It is a seriously awesome watch. I don't have a Frogman. It is "Atomic," and nothing is cooler than saying "Atomic Frogman." It has lots of useful features, like multiple alarms and timezones. It is a seriously awesome watch".

I think you want the Atomic Frogman. I think you need the Atomic Frogman. If you don't get it you will regret it. I've had mine a couple of weeks now and it doesn't leave my wrist. I have other G's, a rolex submariner, marathons etc. but I really just love the different type of quality in this watch. The feel, the size, the functionality, the look all work on this Frogman. And yes, you can see my bias coming through here but that's the best I can do after being blinded by the Atomic Frogman, lol.
Good Luck

·
Registered
340 Posts
Before everyone gives me the expected answer I would like you consider the following:

Pro: It is a seriously awesome watch. I don't have a Frogman. It is "Atomic," and nothing is cooler than saying "Atomic Frogman." It has lots of useful features, like multiple alarms and timezones. It is a seriously awesome watch. Passover is coming in a few weeks, and "Frogman" sounds a lot better than "Liceman" or "Death-of-firstbornman." And it is a seriously awesome watch.

Con: I have many other watches, including a Mudman 9000, G-8000, G-9050 (my first G), an ARTI Wademan and a Haaken Wademan. (I may sell to fund a Frogman.) It has lots of useless features, like a tide graph -- something I will never, ever use. And I saving up for a Seiko Sping Drive, and the $600 will set me back on that count.

So, what say you?
Buy it.

·
Registered
3,088 Posts
yes. buy it then sell it when you have enough for the other watch. at least your wrist won't be lonely in the mean time.

·
Registered
2,380 Posts
And it is a seriously awesome watch.
It sounds like you should get this watch regardless of wanting a SD.
They're completely different watches and having one will not satisfy the need for the other.

It comes down to which one you want first.
My $0.02, get the frog now ONLY if you like one of the two models (1000 & 1000B) available now. I'm sure there will be a lot more in different colors soon (like the 1000G).

If you wish the new frogs were more this or that... keep saving, get the SD you want and wait for the frog you want.

Just my $0.02

·
G-Shock Mod
14,335 Posts
do you have the wrist size to handle it?

if it ends up to be too big, then you will either not wear it often enough or sell it at a lost for somethign else

·
Registered
347 Posts

So, what say you?
No don't buy it, you don't need it. You have plenty of watches already. How many tools to tell the time do you need? :-d

·
Registered
19 Posts
I would love to own a GWF1000.....especially GWF1000B....but I got to redeem my Rolex Boy first before I start saving for the Evil Froggy...

Currently owning some Froggies of GW206..DW8250..DW8200..Gaussman..Gulfman but still greedy to own for more....Cheerz~~~

Juz get it bro...

·
Registered
110 Posts
Of course! Buy two!

Ok, now that that's out of the way... If you don't have a Frogman yet, I'd say to go the cheaper route and get a GW-200 Frog of your choosing. They are a good deal cheaper and although they also lack the atomic functionality, they are still solar powered and don't have the tidegraph which would as you said, be wasted. I also think that in a lot of ways the GW-200 looks better than the GWF-1000. That's just my $0.02.
I agree w/ what Chris has said above. If you have no use for the tide graph and the only reason you want the 1000 is because you want an "atomic" frogman then I would say save the money and purchase the GW200. It's not atomic but it doesn't have the tide graph and it won't hurt your wallet near as bad.

·
Registered
7,035 Posts
Hey its your money and its a lot of money for a G Shock. I don't think its worth it. :-s I look at my Riseman and it has all the things I want or need :) I don't get the better quality statements, makes you think other G's are poor quality, does dlc make the whole watch better :-s I have a DW5700 that was not expensive to start with and is still running almost 20 year latter. If the frogs resin does not rot after 20 years I might buy that better quality comment but at this time I don't. seams folks are trying to justify there expensive watches same type of thing I guess Rolex owner do :-s Really if it said mud-man on it would anybody pay $ 700. :roll::roll::roll: This is my opinion only and for folks that love these that's great, the op did ask should he buy it so he is looking for some type of comments. ;-)

·
Registered
2,099 Posts
The quality is above other Gs. I think one has to actually handle it to appreciate it. The resin in the strap seems softer, the way the lugs (resin) curve make the watch very comfortable, even when your wrist gets hot and swells. The screws that hold the strap to the case are thick and secure. It synch no matter what, which is more than I can say for most of my others. The buttons are superior as well. It just feels great. Granted, most of this is subjective. A lot of people complain it is so expensive, but look at some of the older frogs for sale. The prices are very comparable. It is only a little more than say a MB. The resin will eventually rot, but you can get a new strap and bezel for about $50.
I say if you want it, get it. There is always something cheaper that does essentially the same job, but buy what makes you happy.
We all do this with cars, if we didn't, we would all be driving Yugos :)

1 - 20 of 44 Posts