WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am considering buying the PR50 model T34.1.281.32. It's all I can afford and I need it to last a long time. I am hard on watch faces: I had cracks in my last two Swatches faces within weeks.
Now, I want a watch that I can leave on when I swim but I'm not sure if the PR50 will be OK because it says water resistant not waterproof.

Can anyone advise me on the difference and whether the PR50 is a good watch for my basic everyday needs?

Thanks everyone!

·
Registered
150 Posts
I've checked the PR50 you mentioned on Tissot's official site and found that this beautiful watch is not suitable for swimming.

From my experience, the watch that you can wear during swimming should has a screw-down crown with the water-resistance capability of at least 100Meters (10 Bar).

Although the PR50 is a classically nice watch, I'd like to recommend another Tissot which should be more suitable -- the PRC 100 (Quartz Lady) Ref. T22.1.281.31. I assume that you're O.K. with quartz movement. You may find the picture here:

http://www.tissot.ch/dyn.php?gs=showrefimage&n=T22_1_281_31.jpg

Unlike the PR50 line, the PRC 100 line looks much more sporty so you can judge by yourself whether its look attracts you. Apart from the silver-dial which I recommend you, black and blue dials are also available. You can find more details on their official website, www.tissot.ch.

Hope this can help.

·
Registered
397 Posts
For what it's worth, I went swimming and snorkeling in salt water with my PR50 Titanium Seven (T34.7.487.62) without any issues. Went about 10-12 ft deep. Of course, wasn't over a super prolonged period of time, but the watch was fine.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hello all,

Thanks for the helpful replies. It is unfortunately what I suspected. Thanks for the alternative suggestion too.

What can I say? I looked at the PR100 and it's really nice but it's just too sporty as I was hoping to buy something that I can also wear to go out in the evening as well as for the occasional swim. I can't afford two watches but I just don't see the PR100 looking good with a dress.

Any other suggestions would be really appreciated and thanks again for your help.

ps: what's an AD?

·
Registered
397 Posts
AD= authorised dealer

How about the PR100X lady? T14.1.281.32

It's a little more classic looking than the PR100, yet is water resistant to 100m and has a screw down crown.

(pic from www.tissot.ch)

Attachments

·
Registered
397 Posts
Most of Tissot's dressier watches have only 30-50 meters of water resistance with no screw-down crown, so it's a bit of a catch-22 if you want a dressy look and good water resistance.
Well I swam and snorkeled half a dozen times in a week span with my PR50 Ti 7 without any incident and it's only rated to 50m and no screw down crown. This was also in 80F salt water :).

While I don't know if long term it would be an issue, I doubt it if one is just swimming around on the surface or even a couple feet below. Although I definitely wouldn't pull the crown in the water ;-).

peace

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The general consensus seems to be 'at your own peril'. I did check out the PRwhatevers100 but they were all too bulky for me (I've been spoiled with a very thin Gucci for years). I guess I'll have to just accept that I can't swim with the watch on, though as it's shower proof and I rarely dive, I may risk it. And maybe I'll treat myself to the PR100 with a dark face one day (I'm going to buy the silver-faced quartz small lady PR50)

I'll keep you posted on whether the PR50 really is OK for light swimming or whether I'm heading back to the AD ;-) to have it repaired.

Thanks for all your help!

Waterbaby

1 - 8 of 8 Posts