WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone!
I am new this site and have recently been introduced to Ball. I have about $1100 to spend and it seems like Ball is the way to go (I specifically like the Engineer II Ohio 40mm). Will I be getting the best bang for my buck with Ball or should I look to other brands?
Thanks in advance for your feedback!

·
Registered
522 Posts
RG
I only have one Ball watch, the Spacemaster, but I've tried on other Balls, and read other people's reviews.

It seems to me that for the money, you can't go wrong with a Ball watch!

Excellent quality, swiss ETA timepieces, beautiful dials, anti-magnetic and shock resistant, and of course, those tritiume tubes!

If you find a Ball watch that grabs you, go for it! You wont' regret it!

The Engineer Master II DLC is in your price range, and has beautiful blue tubes!

You can also find excellent previously owned Ball watches for a great price!

Good luck!

·
Registered
20,580 Posts
Hi everyone!
I am new this site and have recently been introduced to Ball. I have about $1100 to spend and it seems like Ball is the way to go (I specifically like the Engineer II Ohio 40mm). Will I be getting the best bang for my buck with Ball or should I look to other brands?
Thanks in advance for your feedback!
You should also consider an Aviator, that's a nice watch too |>

·
Registered
2,217 Posts
I have owned a variety of different watches, and there will always be a place in my heart for Ball and Fortis watches. The beauty of buying off of the forums is that if you get one and it’s not for you, you can recover your money and look elsewhere.

I would suggest that you ask this question in the public watch forum, because we’re all a little bias in here.

My two cents: don't even think about it, every collector of fine watches must own a Ball somewhere in their journey, you won’t regret it.

Cheers, Jay

·
Registered
3,559 Posts
Great responses! For durability, looks, functionality, service, dealer network, and fellow Ball lovers to talk too, it's a hard brand to beat. Much good luck!

·
Registered
739 Posts
Of course you're asking your question on the Ball forum, so natrually the answers are going to be biased toward Ball! The first time I saw Ball watches around 4 yrs ago I knew I had to have one. Now I've got 3. IMHO no other watch for the money provides as much bang and beauty for the price.

Pull the trigger, because if you change your mind you'll have no problem selling it. Just follow used Balls on this forum for example.

·
Ball Watch, Bremont and Longines moderator
11,594 Posts
You have to decide what you like and want. If that is a Ball watch then we can help with recommendations if you tell us what your are looking for?

For me the watch that I recommend the most as a first Ball watch is a Night Train since it has always been a favorite of mine. I really don't see anything quite like it anywhere else.

·
Registered
9 Posts
As some here have said without prejudice..it comes down to your personal taste and desires in what you expect from a top of the line timepiece.

My personal quest began many years ago when collecting the BALL Pocket watch..and what was most intriguing was the history of the beginnings of the BALL watch..(everyone here knows of the Railroad crash story that was the inspiration for an accurate timepiece to be used by the Railroads)
Hence the STANDARD..to me, that means all others had to live up to BALL's Standard...So that speaks volumes ..Whats the old saying?.."Often imitated, but never duplicated"

So I knew a BALL was the watch for me..After many years of looking for the Ball watch that I wouldn't grow tired of and can be worn as a daily driver that fit my taste and style..I finally bought the newly released model; Engineer Master-II DLC...IMHO, I don't think there is any more handsome or practical for the everyday watch ...:-!b-)

·
Registered
4 Posts
Dear RG,

IMHO..since i've own Spacemaster already..i think the best collection for someone to start collecting Ball watch would be Engineer Master II DLC..it's worth buying it..n i'm saving for it now..for me all Ball watches are great..but it's up to ur preference..when i looking for a watch there's some extra points i would take into consideration..it should be good looking when u wear it whether day or night. Hope u can make a good choice..good luck

·
11,594 Posts
The DLC is a great choice. For many of the same reasons the I suggest the Nighttrain the DLC uses similar features in the EMII case. They share the excellent rubber strap and DLC coating on the cases. I just prefer the Fireman case and like the UMT dial. As your collection grows and some watches spend time in the box it is nice to know whether the watch is indicating 8pm or 8am (easy to do with the UMT indicator and date warning indicator)when resetting the watch.

·
Registered
388 Posts
I would strongly recommend you take a look at a couple of Ball watches in person. I didn't know about Ball watches until about a year ago, I found out about them on this forum. When I first saw a Ball Storm Chaser I knew I had to have one. Lucky for me, I didn't have to wait long as one came up a couple of months later in the Sales Forum. I have not regretted it, I absolutely love the watch.

Now I'm ready to expand my collection again, and I am looking at yet another Ball, most likely a Fireman II. I'm also looking at the Hamilton x-wind series, which are nice watches also. Honestly, I would prefer the Ball Ionosphere, but I wasn't going to spend that much right now. However, an Ionosphere will come into my collection within the next year or two, I have no doubt about it.

The neat thing about Ball watches, I have found, is they are a notch above most other watches in how they build and test their watches. Yes, they use ETA & Valjoux internals, which a lot of other brands use also, but Ball creates cases, bracelets and dials that are engineered to superior specs. As I understand it, they also rework the ETA and Valjoux blanks to a higher spec, so they further differentiate from other brands.

I have yet to find anyone who has owned a Ball who regrets it. I have talked to people who have caught and released some, but all were impressed with the quality, workmanship and service.

Good luck with your chase.

·
Registered
10,734 Posts
I think Ball makes a great watch, and I will always have a few, but let's be honest--other makers do make some excellent watches as well. In your price range, I would also look at Oris, Fortis and a few others. In fact, I think you owe it to yourself to take a look at several options, if nothing else, to help you convince yourself that you are making the right choice--and as suggested above, this question might be better posed in the general forum, where I think you would find a lot of both interesting and useful responses/suggestions. A thread I would like to open here at some point is, "OK, you own and love your Ball(s), what else do you put on your wrist?" I think it would be interesting to see what watches, besides Ball, that Ball forums members own.

·
11,594 Posts
A thread I would like to open here at some point is, "OK, you own and love your Ball(s), what else do you put on your wrist?" I think it would be interesting to see what watches, besides Ball, that Ball forums members own.
OK please do but please post it as "love your Ball Watches" as the edit to the above.:-!

·
Registered
388 Posts
I think it would be interesting to see what watches, besides Ball, that Ball forums members own.
Besides Ball, I currently own several others. The most notable being Hamilton and Philip Watch chronos (automatic valjoux), and two O&W automatics (ETA 2824-2), one of which was custom made 42.5mm (one of a kind). I gave my Seiko automatic to my son about a year ago, although it was a nice watch too.

I like mechanical automatic watches, but I own a few quartz watches as well, including a Wenger GST SEA chrono.

My Ball SC is my most cherished, followed by my Philip Admirale (44mm). The Philip is more dressy though, while the Ball is more sporty. My Hamilton is going on the blocks soon, it is too small for my liking. I may trade it or sell it and get another Hamilton, probably an X-Wind.

My custom O&W gets the most wrist time as a daily wear. I'm now looking to get another Ball, probably a Fireman, to be the alternate daily wear watch.

In past I have also owned Omegas, seamaster and speedmaster, which I like a lot too, but they are too small. Nowadays I prefer the heft of a 43-44mm watch on my 7 3/4" wrists.

·
11,594 Posts
Let's not derail the thread by changing the subject I will start another thread to discuss this.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts