WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

Should i get Seiko.....?

1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i know most of you have already experienced these watches & been through this kind of post over & over, therefore guide me in buying my first :) i need help to make a decision whether to buy an automatic or kinetic Seiko since this is going to be my first Seiko watch, i want it to be something exclusive. I know both functions, and have surveyed much on automatic since i really like the movement, although it's very difficult for me to find the right automatic watch's size as most of it are too big for my wrist. I've also looked through some kinetics which is quite the perfect size and nice design too, though i don't really like kinetics.
So the real question is, should i just go for the kinetics, for its design or automatic, for its movement? (i'm buying this to treasure it, so there wouldn't be any conflict with disappointment from buying either movements)
(just a reminder, my wrists are skinny, hence the limited choices of watches :roll:

·
Premium Member
7,700 Posts
Kinetic technology was a good idea, but never quite worked. Having had a few kinetics, it is a real pain trying to keep them charged up unless you wear it all the time.

Plenty of automatics to choose from.

HTH

·
Registered
871 Posts
You can do a search on the forum and will find endless discussion about this topic or the question if Kinetic work well or not. Some say they're crap, some say automatics are better, some say 8-years-battery watches are better and some say solar-powered watches are better. I had two kinetics and thought it's pretty great, just sold them to fund other stuff. I would definately buy one again any time. I think Kinetics are awesome, if you like the design of a particular watch. At the end of the day it all boils down to what you prefer.

Kinetic technology was a good idea, but never quite worked. Having had a few kinetics, it is a real pain trying to keep them charged up unless you wear it all the time.
I really don't think that this is the right way to put it.
Kinetics work very well (if they are used the way they were designed for). From a watch developer's or a one-watch-person's point of view it makes perfect sense to have a movement working like this, and it will work for 10 or 15 years without a problem (with roughly the same percentage of malfunctions that automatics or solar watches provide).
Of course, if someone buys a watch and only wears it one day per week (as many watch collectors do), the Kinetic might not hold it's energy. But I definately wouldn't say they are a design fault whatsoever, let alone "they never quite worked".

Maybe it's just me seeing it this way, but it says "kinetic", which is associated with the greek term κίνησις, which again means to move, (not sit in a drawer).

Best,

S.

·
Registered
79 Posts
I agree with swingkid. While i love automatics and mechanical movements in general, i think kinetic movements are very good too.
My everyday watch is a kinetic its reliable and very accurate and for everyday wear i feel on the whole its a better option, and i like the fact that part of a kinetic is mechanical.
My divers watch is automatic and i have a nice mechanical omega dress watch so im not biased towards any movement.

·
Registered
870 Posts
but never quite worked.
Nonsense! They've been working very well since around 2001 forward.

I for one, Love Kinetics! I have auto's and swiss quartz. My Kinetic's keep better time than the swiss quartz(Ronda & ETA), and I can take them off for over a month and not need to set them.

I like Automatics just as much. I think Solar is the best way to go! but Seiko is slow to release any nice looking solars.

I like some of the Citizens, but they keep really poor time! I've tried three Eco-Drives and all were less accurate than a good automatic. They were sub $200. models, but that's still not right.

·
Registered
3,515 Posts
i think it boils down to how much you'l wear it. Kinetics are not meant to be drawer queens- they're meant to be worn frequently. they're fine for someone who has a few watches but if you've got a 10+ watch rotation, you'll need to give it a little more wrist time to keep a decent charge on it. unlike an automatic, it's not a good idea to let the charge go down to zero, so keeping a charge is a must. traditional watch winders do not work with Kinetics, so keeping it on your winder is out of the question.

i've had 2 Kinetics, one of which i wished i never traded away (pepsi BFK) and i was very happy with the accuracy of both. i'll probably find another BFK to add back to the collection sometime in the near future. good luck with your decision

·
Registered
2,825 Posts
Another factor may be whether accuracy matters to you. If it does, the kinetic will be a revelation. Gaijin makes the point that kinetics don't work very well unless you wear them all the time. I would suggest that that is even more true of automatics. If you let the kinetic run down a bit, it goes to sleep to save power but bobs up as soon as it sees the light, whereas if you let an automatic run down, you have to wind it or wave it about and then reset it.
I'm an accuracy freak so I only buy thermocompensated quartz and neither of your choices would be up my street. So my comments are disinterested (not uninterested!).

·
Registered
373 Posts
I agree with swingkid & Raoul Duke - it all comes down to wrist time. One or two watches - go for a BFK!:) Dozen or so autos - forget it.:-(

·
Premium Member
7,700 Posts
Another factor may be whether accuracy matters to you. If it does, the kinetic will be a revelation. Gaijin makes the point that kinetics don't work very well unless you wear them all the time. I would suggest that that is even more true of automatics. If you let the kinetic run down a bit, it goes to sleep to save power but bobs up as soon as it sees the light, whereas if you let an automatic run down, you have to wind it or wave it about and then reset it.
I'm an accuracy freak so I only buy thermocompensated quartz and neither of your choices would be up my street. So my comments are disinterested (not uninterested!).
With all due respect, Kinetics do NOT go to sleep and certainly do not "bob up" when they see light as they have no light sensor at all. Kinetics store charge that they generate through movement of a rotor. No light at all in the kinetic equation.

HTH

·
Registered
154 Posts
Well it really depends on what floats your boat. There are only two Kinetics I found that I like. SKA385P1 it's a big colorful diver and the uber rare Kinetic Tuna. I own many automatic Seiko movements they work great and I like the case they sit in. Very hard to beat a Quartz Tuna for quality.

·
Registered
375 Posts
I have 2 Seiko kinetic and 2 Seiko autos and like them both, kinetics are meant to be worn and I have quite a few watches so to keep them charged if I am not wearing them much I take them on my Jog and when I am done they are fully charged

·
Registered
871 Posts
With all due respect, Kinetics do NOT go to sleep and certainly do not "bob up" when they see light as they have no light sensor at all. Kinetics store charge that they generate through movement of a rotor. No light at all in the kinetic equation.

HTH
You're right!
But Seiko has something close to it, the Kinetic Auto Relay, where the hands goe to sleep after 72 hrs but the movevement keeps track of day and time for quite a long time (up to 4 yrs?).You don't see them too often.

Here's a link with more infos:

Kinetic Auto Relay | SEIKO WATCH CORPORATION

Another nice Kinetic thing which I really dig is the Kinetic Direct Drive, where you can handwind your Kinetic, and if I remember correctly a small hand even shows you how much torque each turn puts on the battery (sorry for the bad explanation, amateur here). Unfortunately it's only available in higher priced Seiko Kinetics.

Best,

S.

·
Registered
4,402 Posts

Plenty of automatics to choose from.

HTH
No different from an automatic,but it's much more accurate..

·
Registered
119 Posts

HTH
Hi Gaijin!

Seiko kinetic used to make the Auto Relay models which will go to sleep after it is not used for 72 hours. When it senses movement again, it will "bob up" and go to the exact current time as if it just hybernated. I used to have one but gave it to my grandfather. You can also force-sleep the watch by simpling doing a push-pull on the crown. Maybe this is what artec was referring.

Anyway just FYI :)

Ooops I dodnt noticed Swingkid replied and mentioned the Auto Relay already :)

·
Registered
20,571 Posts
Auto or Kinetic == you must move, so why not to wear an automatic ?

·
Registered
7,035 Posts
I like both and they both have positives and negatives. That said I don't understand how you say you can find a kinetic you like but not a Seiko auto. Seiko makes so many auto and Seiko 5 auto's it almost impossible to not find something close to what you like. Maybe you just have not looked enough.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
thank YOU all for the great input, i have to say this must be a very difficult decision for me to make, or maybe as JERSTERCA stated, i just haven't looked enough. Thereby i'm sticking with the autos for now, thanks for all those who has tried to convince me in buying kinetics, but i just don't think it'll work out great for this time

·
Registered
6,645 Posts
Had both and neither of them broke down on me.

most of the folks knocking on kinetic never tried them before, I had one of the early kinetic model too. Never had the capacitor busted on me.

I like the kinetic because it's new and high tech(mine has a front loader one piece case with various functions)

I like the automatic because I can actually work on it, recently serviced my 7019(70's) to get it running again.

·
Registered
98 Posts
I have a brand new SKA371 BFK - wore it 24/7 for two weeks, and the charge indicator did not move. I walk around 45 min per day. Maybe you need to be a marathon runner.
The watch lost around 15 seconds over the two weeks, which I call unbelievably poor for a quartz.
Build quality is also lower than my SKZ779 Monster; especially the plating/finishing on the steel case, and the bezel which rattles and tends to move too easily.

So although I like the appearance of the BFK, the Monster automatic is a superior functioning watch of its type for the money.

1 - 20 of 51 Posts