WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I have been considering purchasing the 2531.80 "Bond" and now see that it is being replaced with the 2220.80 Co-Axial. Which is driving up the price. Is the new movement worth the extra money? I am personally thinking it isn't. Should I get a 2531.80 before their gone?

Thanks.

·
Registered
3,644 Posts
In theory yes, but only time will tell if the Co-Ax is really better. I would get the 2531.80. If you change your mind you can always sell it and get the 2220.80 instead.

·
Registered
9,532 Posts
Yes!

I agree with Andrés. Unless you're absolutely smitten with the red "Seamaster" on the dial, I'd go with the "old" model.

The Co-Axial escapement is designed to reduce friction, resulting in better long-term accuracy and reduced service intervals. For a standard lever escapement, Omega recommends servicing every 4-5 years, "depending on the use of the watch." If Omega had stuck to their initial claim of a 10 year interval with the Co-Ax, it would be easier to justify the higher price. However, they have changed their position on this and the latest I've heard is 6-8.

It'll take awhile for that to add up. If I did math, I'd tell you how long.

Good luck!

eric

·
Registered
9,532 Posts
Good point

The coax and the applied everything on the dail is DEFINITELY worth the extra money if you can find a good AD... not worth the difference at full price though...
ayn brings up a good point. There are certainly going to be existing Bond owners who think the upgrades are worth the $900 increase ($2150 to $3050 or, assuming a 30% AD discount, $630 increase). If you're patient and don't mind a pre-owned, you might keep an eye on the sales forums and snap up and "old" one for cheap from an "upgrader."

Just to clarify, the differences are the Co-Ax, applied markers and Omega logo, larger hands, and red "Seamaster."

Best of luckm whatever you decide!

eric

·
6,880 Posts
Re: Good point

I opted for the "old" Seamaster...but thats just me. An extra $900 wasn't worth it at the time for me to purchase a new one but to each their own. I DEFINITELY like the new ones with the applied markers and the Co-Axial but.......not for an extra $900.

Good luck deciding and post some pics when you get your watch!

·
Registered
103 Posts
Re: Good point

Like I said in a few threads here re: the new coax bond, the difference in retail is $900, which is a lot and probably not worth it, BUT that is assuming you have to pay retail for both watches, which is hardly the case if you know enough to come to this forum...

·
Registered
124 Posts
SJ,

I have a "Bond" SMP that I've had since 2003 and couldn't be happier. I looked at the new Co-Axial model a few days ago at an AD with a friend.

The new Co-Axial looks great and I've read reviews about the new escapement for several years now. They're probably lower maintenance (The AD said they are calling it a ten year service model, as opposed to 3-5 years for the older model) and possibly more accurate from what I've been reading.

If you want one of the older 2892-A2's, now would probably be the time to get it. I love mine and don't plan to upgrade to a Co-Axial any time soon. I need to get a Speedy Pro first.:)

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Alright, looks like I am getting my second Omega a little sooner than expected. The 2531.80 it is, thanks all for your input and helping me spend my money.;-)

Now I've got to start getting rid of some of my other watches.

·
Registered
85 Posts
I just prefer the new applied markers - couldn't care less about the co-ax movement myself. Shame you have to pony up a load more for co-ax (or I guess get the quartz version just for the new dial and markers.)

I liked and used to own the old Bond version, but side by side with the new Bond, you'll find the older now looks very dated in comparison.

·
Registered
209 Posts
I really don't like the red Seamaster, or the placement at the top of the watch. The co-ax is awesome, and the applied markers are nice too.

·
Registered
269 Posts
for currency to currency comparison, it will be a difference of USD900 for the new Bond which is still ok, but in Malaysian ringgit it wil be RM3500 difference (RM5300 vs 7300), which is way up high :-D , still I like the older version or the Black SMP. The red Seamaster wording looks weird

Good Luck

1 - 13 of 13 Posts