WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner
1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
Datejust 116234
512 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, I could really use some input and opinions here... I'm thinking about selling my Almost new Omega Seamaster 300 in white to buy a used 200X explorer. Is this a good or a bad idea? I could really use some input here hehe.

·
Registered
461 Posts
You can do it, but what’s the motivation? The Exp is a great watch that wears equally well in a business environment and casual. It will definitely wear smaller than the SMP. I like them both, and in this case, I think the Rolex will fly under the radar a bit more than the SMP. Cost wise, you are going to need to come up with +- 4k after selling the SMP. You need to do the cost analysis to decide if it’s worth it. The Exp is hot right now, especially with the 39mm being discontinued. Trends come and go, and it may not be so hot, or expensive down the road.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
293 Posts
I guess the question is why (as above) do you not love yours?

I have both (albeit black SMP) and assuming you mean a 39mm Explorer I, I personally wouldn't make the change. I prefer my SMP more, I wear it more, think it is better made, a nicer finish to all the materials and fits my life a bit better.

Explorer was my daily for a couple of years, lovely, better bracelet by miles (hate the SMP bracelet, use the rubber or Erika's) and is a more understated watch, but to be totally honest, it's quite boring. I have a Zenith Defy Classic too which I bought just last year and has taken over the explorers role as a sports watch really, and compared to that I find the Explorer is a bit...dull.

Explorer does nothing wrong at all, has no fault, but equally no stand out feature for me either (I won't sell it for sentimental reasons, - which is maybe an argument I'm missing as value seems to be a key reason to go for a Rolex - but don't see myself wearing it too often either).

I'll get my flamesuit on, can't be mean about Rolex around here...

·
Registered
8,510 Posts
What do you see yourself being more happy with? Only you can answer the question.

·
Registered
229 Posts
If I was going to get an Explorer to replace my Diver 300m (I own the same model as you do), it would have to be the Explorer II Polar. I am looking for a GMT function to add to my collection, but I would need to also get an adequate dive watch replacement as well. There is something about a white dial sports watch that you would miss if you decided to trade it for the black dial Explorer I. You would also be paying a premium for the 39mm version since it has been discontinued. I would not recommend trading your Omega for the new 36mm model if you have a wrist size 16cm or larger.

Reactions: savetime

·
Registered
2,671 Posts
Very different watches. The SMP is new/fresh looking and technologically/functionally superior but the exp 39mm is undoubtedly a classic.

However, as others have said, not much going on (but you can say that for most Rolex). But then that's their draw. Rolex has the patent on "traditional understatement" and the world will continue to pay them handsomely for it. So, Rolex will always be the safe and secure option.

·
Registered
4,372 Posts
Thanks for letting me help you spend money. Do whatever you want.

·
Registered
149 Posts
There are so many amazing watches in that price band. Perhaps cast your net a little wider, since neither of these seems really to resonate at your frequency? Maybe you'll find something that clicks, and your first post about it will be "NWD!" rather than "This or That?" ...

·
Registered
418 Posts
If I am reading this correctly, you bought that Seamaster as a substitute for the explorer and now you have a chance to get the watch that you really want. If that is so, then yes do it.

·
Registered
1,759 Posts
Depends. If you're looking for something that can fit a more traditional definition of a watch you wear all the time, for 'sports' or dress, the explorer does that better in my opinion. personally, though, I prefer dive watches and wear the nicer ones with suits; in my view, traditional definitions of what people perceive as a dress watch have largely gone out the window. I see people wearing high-end dive watches with suits all the time. I wouldn't trade an omega seamaster for explorer under any circumstance. what YOU would do is entirely up to you and your taste and preferences. They're both great-looking, high-performing watches.

·
Registered
3,825 Posts
View attachment 15817096
I couldn't pick between the two of you made me do it. I prefer the planet ocean to the smp but they're similar enough that I think this is appropriate. The omega divers are so different from the explorer. I don't advocate for a large collection and restrain myself.
That's a superb trio you have there.

Rene

Reactions: pdoherty

·
Registered
44 Posts
Back before the Explorer 36 blew up, I almost bought one for $3200. It’s classic and understated, but it didn’t do a whole lot for me personally. It didn’t feel very substantive, but it did have that luxurious Rolex feel to it. It’s a fine watch, but not a priority for me.

What’s your take on the date complication? I can’t see myself getting a watch without a date, but if you already have an OP, a date may not be a big deal for you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,825 Posts
Thanks. I really like it too. I keep myself to a three watch collection. This is the third iteration
So as not to hijack this thread, maybe one day you could create a new thread and walk us through (with pictures, of course) how your collection has evolved. I'd love to hear about how you got to where you are now.

Rene

·
Registered
215 Posts
2 completely different watches. I personally wouldn't unless the explorer is scratching an itch.

If you just want a crown then sell smp and pay more for the model u want.

1 - 20 of 51 Posts