WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner
21 - 40 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
Seiko Alpinist
112 Posts
The Exp 1 and your SMP are quite different watches, if you use your bezel function you'll sorely miss it on that basic 3-hander. You'll also be giving up too much in that switch IMO. Can you swing it and own both?

·
Registered
Datejust 116234
512 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
You can do it, but what's the motivation? The Exp is a great watch that wears equally well in a business environment and casual. It will definitely wear smaller than the SMP. I like them both, and in this case, I think the Rolex will fly under the radar a bit more than the SMP. Cost wise, you are going to need to come up with +- 4k after selling the SMP. You need to do the cost analysis to decide if it's worth it. The Exp is hot right now, especially with the 39mm being discontinued. Trends come and go, and it may not be so hot, or expensive down the road.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Not really sure hehe. I like the SMP, it fits well and looks great! Although, I feel like maybe I won't like it in a few years. at least not as much as the explorer. It is 42mm but wears well but most of my watches are 36mm-39mm so it is still on the bigger size. A 36mm explorer might wear a bit better hehe. Going to my AD today to see if I can get put on a list for the new one. It might just be the one. At least I will get to try it out before making a decision.

Thanks for the input! Helps a lot!

·
Registered
Datejust 116234
512 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
I guess the question is why (as above) do you not love yours?

I have both (albeit black SMP) and assuming you mean a 39mm Explorer I, I personally wouldn't make the change. I prefer my SMP more, I wear it more, think it is better made, a nicer finish to all the materials and fits my life a bit better.

Explorer was my daily for a couple of years, lovely, better bracelet by miles (hate the SMP bracelet, use the rubber or Erika's) and is a more understated watch, but to be totally honest, it's quite boring. I have a Zenith Defy Classic too which I bought just last year and has taken over the explorers role as a sports watch really, and compared to that I find the Explorer is a bit...dull.

Explorer does nothing wrong at all, has no fault, but equally no stand out feature for me either (I won't sell it for sentimental reasons, - which is maybe an argument I'm missing as value seems to be a key reason to go for a Rolex - but don't see myself wearing it too often either).

I'll get my flamesuit on, can't be mean about Rolex around here...
Actually thinking of the 36mm hehe so it's a big difference compared to 42. The SMP wears well but Im not sure which one I will prefer in a few years time. Might have to try one before making a decision. I do have a 36mm datejust and it wears better than the omega and on the other hand that watch might be enough and I won't need the explorer. Gonna see if I can try the new 36mm before making a decision!

Thanks for the help! ;)

·
Registered
Datejust 116234
512 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
If I was going to get an Explorer to replace my Diver 300m (I own the same model as you do), it would have to be the Explorer II Polar. I am looking for a GMT function to add to my collection, but I would need to also get an adequate dive watch replacement as well. There is something about a white dial sports watch that you would miss if you decided to trade it for the black dial Explorer I. You would also be paying a premium for the 39mm version since it has been discontinued. I would not recommend trading your Omega for the new 36mm model if you have a wrist size 16cm or larger.
Well my wrists are about 17cm so pretty small. I like the Exp2 but haven't got the chance to see it in real life. I might just fall in love with it when I get to see it.

·
Registered
Datejust 116234
512 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
IF you have the watches in your signature line, I wouldn't do it. The BB58 and OP39 basically serve the purpose an Explorer I would with a bit more versatility.
I've sold the OP but you do have a point. Might just stick to the datejust. Going to see if I can try it out first. This was a much harder decision than I had first anticipated.

·
Registered
Datejust 116234
512 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
View attachment 15817096
I couldn't pick between the two of you made me do it. I prefer the planet ocean to the smp but they're similar enough that I think this is appropriate. The omega divers are so different from the explorer. I don't advocate for a large collection and restrain myself.
amazing collection! That speedmaster is fire with those hands!!!

Reactions: pdoherty

·
Registered
Datejust 116234
512 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
Yes. You can always get another Seamaster 300M, they're a dime a dozen.
that's part of my reasoning. Might get in on the explorer now and get another seamaster later. I'm really hoping for one without a date. That would be the ideal watch!

·
Registered
Datejust 116234
512 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
Back before the Explorer 36 blew up, I almost bought one for $3200. It's classic and understated, but it didn't do a whole lot for me personally. It didn't feel very substantive, but it did have that luxurious Rolex feel to it. It's a fine watch, but not a priority for me.

What's your take on the date complication? I can't see myself getting a watch without a date, but if you already have an OP, a date may not be a big deal for you.

I would buy one straight away for that price! The date is a key reason why I'm looking to trade. I pretty much never use a watch more than once a week and it is a pain in the ass to set the time with the date and having it on the wrong day is just annoying. SMP without a date would be the perfect watch

Reactions: pborkstrom

·
Registered
Datejust 116234
512 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 ·
2 completely different watches. I personally wouldn't unless the explorer is scratching an itch.

If you just want a crown then sell smp and pay more for the model u want.
I do enjoy the crown but except the datejust and the new OP the explorer is my favourite Rolex. The classic and simple looks are right up my alley. The Submariner is alright but then I would much rather go for a Tudor submariner or just stick with the 58

·
Registered
Datejust 116234
512 Posts
Discussion Starter · #35 ·
The Exp 1 and your SMP are quite different watches, if you use your bezel function you'll sorely miss it on that basic 3-hander. You'll also be giving up too much in that switch IMO. Can you swing it and own both?
It's nice to play around with but I've never used it. I haven't even gone swimming with it yet.

·
Registered
Datejust 116234
512 Posts
Discussion Starter · #36 ·
Thanks for all the help guys. It really does help! I've decided to keep the SMP until I at least get to try out the new explorer

Reactions: pdoherty

·
Registered
848 Posts
You need to see multiple watches in person to make the choice. You need to try on a 214270 and a 14270 explorer at the very least. I think you also need to check out the polar 16570 first too. Don’t make those choice until you’ve tried them on. Find a dealer and travel to their location and try it on.

·
Registered
315 Posts
They're such different watches. Id keep the SMP personally. But the true correct answer is to keep the SMP and also buy the explorer and not tell you wife about the spending

·
Registered
158 Posts
Spurred on by an urban gentry video :(, I really considered the 39 explorer a year ago ... was at the ad with my credit card all ready to go, but I couldn’t pull the trigger. If you take out the Rolex name out of the equation, it is just a bit plain with no complications... I thought about all the other cool watches that one can buy with that kind of money. But honestly - it wasn’t money at the end that turned me off, it was the explore itself... it didn’t generate much excitement for me in person....

·
Registered
108 Posts
The Explorer is a great piece. Try it on, wear your Omega and flip between the two. See which one brings a bigger grin

21 - 40 of 51 Posts