WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner
41 - 51 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
An Explorer and a SMP are very different watches, so I guess it depends on whether you would use/wear a large dive watch more than a sport/field watch. The Explorer is quite plain and simple, while the SMP is always exciting to look at on the wrist. I personally went with a Rolex OP39 for my "regular / all purpose / sport / dress" watch. I don't own an SMP (yet), but when I contemplated the purchase, it was with the intention of wearing it a lot. It's really impressive on many levels - style, function, quality, etc. Instead of the SMP, I stumbled upon a red dial 2503.60 Aqua Terra that just captured my attention immensely, and I had to have it. So - that is filling the void that the SMP would have filled. Of course, the 2503 AQ is not a dive watch either, but it wears quite large, even compared to my OP39. It's a fantastic watch and I can't wait to start considering the SMP again - when funds are next available!

I guess my bottom line opinion is: keep the SMP AND get the sport/field watch that you like best!

·
Registered
5,776 Posts
If it were me I wouldn't even consider it. SMP is a great watch. When and if omega decides to make the minute hand a straight side design in the same style it will change everything on that watch in terms of look.

Reactions: Nathanours

·
Registered
88 Posts
Doesn't hurt to try it since if it doesnt work out, though it might waste some time you can get back what you payed for with the rolex

·
Premium Member
3,848 Posts
that's part of my reasoning. Might get in on the explorer now and get another seamaster later. I'm really hoping for one without a date. That would be the ideal watch!
You may find that the new Explorer is too small, in which case you can just sell it to some sucker for a profit.

·
Registered
Seiko Alpinist
112 Posts
Spurred on by an urban gentry video :(, I really considered the 39 explorer a year ago ... was at the ad with my credit card all ready to go, but I couldn't pull the trigger. If you take out the Rolex name out of the equation, it is just a bit plain with no complications... I thought about all the other cool watches that one can buy with that kind of money. But honestly - it wasn't money at the end that turned me off, it was the explore itself... it didn't generate much excitement for me in person....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
My own personal taste in watches at this point agrees with your thoughts. Maybe when I'm much older I'd appreciate the boring yet simple/classic dial and basic 3-hander more.

·
Registered
6,054 Posts
Well, I could really use some input and opinions here... I'm thinking about selling my Almost new Omega Seamaster 300 in white to buy a used 200X explorer. Is this a good or a bad idea? I could really use some input here hehe.

View attachment 15816939
Those are just about complete opposites...I'm thinking only you know why a Explorer will push your buttons better than this. I am also assuming you mean the Explorer not the Explorer II.

I'm a big Rolex fan but I'd take this Seamaster over an Explorer. Or save up and own both.

·
Registered
480 Posts
I would, and I HAVE an SMP. Smaller and simpler in my mind is better in the long run. For ‘keepers’

·
Registered
485 Posts
Hell no, don’t do it.

I have owned both watches. I miss my white SMP (even if I have another variant) and I will probably re-buy it. Such a distinctive looking watch and yet a classic Omega. I don’t miss my Explorer 39 at all. It was one of the more plain and boring watches I have had, and the bezel was a scratch magnet that rivals Grand Seiko. Also the bracelet and clasp on the Explorer is probably the most basic entry-level that Rolex has to offer and I don’t mean that as praise for zen simplicity :)

·
Registered
52 Posts
I don’t think your going to get enough value from the seamaster sale to make it worth while. It’s also a much different watch that I think you would be better served keeping as an alternative to the Rolex, giving your collection more diversity

41 - 51 of 51 Posts