WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 117 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, I KNOW this is NOT the Rolex forum, BUT figured I'd ask all of you Omega owners what you think. (I'm not going to ask this question in any other forum)
I have two Omegas in excellent condition, both bought brand new from AD's buy me a PO, and an SMP 2531.80. I *MAY* have the opportunity to trade both of these watches for a very good condition later model SS Sub date.
I've always wanted a Rolex again (I had a Sub, but at the time had to sell it to fund college).
I guess my question is, what would you guys do ? Just keep your two Omegas, and get the Rolex later (at this point, in reality I would not be able to afford one for at least another 3-4 years), or just say to hell with it and get it now ???
A big part of me does NOT want to get rid of my Omegas, but then again I ALWAYS wanted a Rolex, and now I may have that opportunity to get one again .
Oh well, all opinions are welcome, even if you want to call me a moron lol

·
Registered
156 Posts
I think they should change the name of this forum from the "Omega Forum" to the "I want a Rolex" forum. Sorry, but I've seen too many of these posts lately. It kind of reminds me of the guy who buys a honda motorcycle and then spends all his time dreaming about getting a harley.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Pretty difficult question for someone else to answer. I personally grew tired of my Sub Date, sold it and am now much more interested in Omega. But that's just me.

If you're saying you have always wanted another Rolex and now have the chance to get one, you've pretty much answered your own question.

Regardless of your decision, you're going to end up with something nice on your wrist!

·
Registered
7,979 Posts
If a Sub is what you have always wanted, I say go for it.

Personally, I think the PO is a better watch and a much better value.

Fr. John†

·
Registered
10,241 Posts
Yup, what Fr. John and owen said.

Get your sub. Somehow I don't think it matters to you if the PO is a more advanced and arguably better, or if your SMP is already pretty much all that the sub is. And that's okay. :-!

You just might regret it though.

·
Banned
287 Posts
I think they should change the name of this forum from the "Omega Forum" to the "I want a Rolex" forum. Sorry, but I've seen too many of these posts lately. It kind of reminds me of the guy who buys a honda motorcycle and then spends all his time dreaming about getting a harley.
Precisely. Honda make great motorcycles. Harleys make fat men feel virile.

·
Banned
4,334 Posts
I wish I were a one watch person, but then I wouldn't have met you guys.:roll: No way would I part with my PO, but I don't get the whole Submariner thing. If you want it, and will be happy with only one luxury watch, go for it!:-!

;-) Kat

·
Registered
2,364 Posts
Just do what YOU want. People's opinions on a forum shouldn't influence what you've always wanted to do. :)

·
Registered
10,693 Posts
These are three fine and rather similar watches. This isn't about the aesthetic or technical qualities, it is simply about what you really want.

You can only wear one at a time. Ask yourself which one you would have if it was the only watch you could have. That's the one you want. Two good watches is, ultimately an indulgence; the one you really want is better than the any other one or two which are not.

I think you will get the Rolex. You may well buy the others again in the future. that's OK too.

·
Premium Member
12,971 Posts
If you want the sub, then simply buy the sub.

·
Registered
101 Posts
I have two Omegas in excellent condition, both bought brand new from AD's buy me a PO, and an SMP 2531.80. I *MAY* have the opportunity to trade both of these watches for a very good condition later model SS Sub date.
I wouldn't. Rolex may be a greater name but PO is a greater watch. You may like the sub better for some reason but in this trade you are the looser. Ask for deep sea or sell SMP. On the other hand, the only thing that really matters is what will make you happy. So that is what you should do.

·
Registered
1,156 Posts
...Much better and you always wanted it.
Well at least part of that statement is true. You want a Rolex, get one- you won't be happy until you do. What Rolex does well is market their products, and that's the very reason that people want them.

http://www.timezone.com/library/horologium/horologium0036

http://www.chronocentric.com/forums/omega/index.cgi?noframes;read=33522

http://www.watchtalkforums.info/forums/rolex-discussion-forum/29861-rolex-submariner-vs-invicta-9937-a.html

·
Registered
3,418 Posts
Well...I own the PO and have owned the Sub and the Bond. Here's the thing: the lure of Rolex is very very big ( even for people partial to Omega) and eventually, the vast majority will get a Rolex if they can afford it. So, I say keep the PO and use the Bond to fund the Sub like the rest.

Don't let anyone tell you the Sub is a better watch than the PO, though. It isn't. I agree with FR. John. IMO, the PO is better than the Sub on most all fronts and looks better with more presence. If originality is at all important to you, that's all the more reason to keep the PO and then keep saving for the Sub.

·
Registered
1,736 Posts
I have a few thoughts to contribute to this thread as I'm a longtime Omega lover and have recently been cautiously dipping my toes into the Rolex pool. I picked up a No Date Sub as a trial watch and did not keep it longer than 24 hours (there's a long thread I wrote about that a few months ago). Then I picked up the Pepsi GMT Master and it is currently at my watchmaker getting the full spa treatment. The intention was to sell my AT to mostly fund this Rolex as I got a very good deal on it. Since then, I decided to try out a 16610LV green Sub, selling off both the AT + 2254.50 to fund. I drew the line at selling the PO! I love the PO and don't think I can get rid of it without a major internal struggle.

I won't keep both the GMT Master and the LV Sub. One will leave the nest and then I'll be on pretty much an even plane with just two nice watches - either the PO + Sub or PO + Pepsi. In essence, I have traded away two Omegas for one Rolex, while keeping my favorite Omega in the stable. I've found over time and watch collecting that I'm really a "two watch kinda guy," happily rotating them daily. With 3 in the stable, one never gets enough wrist time to justify itself. I even had 4 or 5 for brief periods and that was way overkill for my watch wearing patterns. For awhile, my two watch collection was to be the PO + 2254. This is a great pair, but have a lot of overlap and I decided that an Omega + Rolex pair was more diverse and it does make me smile a little more.

It sounds like you really have a thing for the Sub. Decide if you're a "one watch guy" or a "two watch guy" and let that help you decide. I'd try to keep the PO, if possible.

While Rolex is a special watch, there is nothing that beats the way the PO's dual AR crystal looks. I was wearing the new Sub most of this weekend and almost forgot about the magical PO crystal. It is back on my wrist now and it simply mesmerizes me.

Try to keep that PO if you can.

·
Registered
3,418 Posts
King started out getting all this great info from the Omega forumers and then has turned against us;-) and been sucked in by all the defective PO threads. Oh no!:-d
Well at least part of that statement is true. You want a Rolex, get one- you won't be happy until you do. What Rolex does well is market their products, and that's the very reason that people want them.

http://www.watchtalkforums.info/forums/rolex-discussion-forum/29861-rolex-submariner-vs-invicta-9937-a.html

·
Registered
255 Posts

Not sure why people respond by posting links to reviews that attacks Rolex. Insecurity maybe? A way to make them feel better about themselves or their watch? How long did it take you to find these reviews? I am sure you would have found more reviews that places the spotlight on Omega's inferiority. It is interesting that you only posted the Rolex reviews.

When I said Rolex was better, it was simply my own opinion and not based on internet reviews so I don't feel the need to post negative Omega reviews or positive Rolex reviews.

1 - 20 of 117 Posts