WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

61 - 80 of 117 Posts

·
Registered
2,671 Posts
I perfectly understand why you would ask something like this on a watch forum and I wouldn't be put off by the question even if someone asks me a thousand times. Because where else can you ask a question like this and be understood? Ask your wife? Your friends?

Anyway I was in your situation a couple of months ago, I had too many Omegas so I sold a couple to get a Rolex. Like you I had one but had to sell, so now that I'm a bit more stable financially I figured to get that GMT Master II before they disappear. I know that I can always buy back the 2 Omegas I sold. In the end as a lot of people say it's really what you want but it's always good to hear other opinions, not necessarily to follow what other people say but just for perspective, so that your decision will be an informed one.

Good luck...

·
Registered
255 Posts
Wow, King- How long did it take? Maybe five minutes or less. Why does it matter to you?

I posted them not because I'm feeling insecure about my watches or anything else, but because I thought the OP might find them interesting. A Rolex Explorer was my first love- what got me interested in watches. Never bought one, but did buy a nice Datejust from an AD. Unfortunately it never worked right, sent it back to Rolex, waited several months, got it back, and it was still broken. Tarnished my opinion about them, but I was still in lust with the Explorer. Read a lot about them and then ran across the Odets review. That pretty much sealed the fate of Rolex for me. And yeah, it's an old review, but I've asked several folks to please show me where it's been refuted, and no one has. If that Odet review is typical of what Rolex produces, I'm not interested in them, and I can't imagine anyone else would be either.

I simply thought the OP might want to read the article that changed my mind about Rolex, and perhaps give him some insight to his question. Sorry if posting links to validate my opinion somehow rubs you the wrong way.
Doesn't matter to me. Just thought that it would be fair to also post links to negative reviews of the other brand if you were going to post negative reviews of the Rolex. This way he gets both sides of th story.

·
Registered
255 Posts
I am on the other hand considering selling my PO as it gets almost no wrist time at all since i got my Sub LV.

The Sub may be outdated in design but remember that the original design has withstood decades of use on many wrists. I wanted the old design just from this reason.When i first got the Submariner i was kind of disappointed when i compared it to the PO but then it started growing on me.

I feel that the Sub is way more comfortable too as it´s lighter and less chunky. The bracelet is also more versatile with the possibility to micro-adjust. I know that you can cure this problem on the PO by buying an extra halflink but it really shouldn´t be necessary. I have never heard of a Oysterbracelet failing but I heard of some Omega bracelets with sprints falling out.

The Sub bracelet is also less prone to scratch when you compare it to Omegas bracelets which almost scratch when you look at them.

Then we have the issues with the 2500c movement on Omega. I am certainly no expert on the matter but i do frequent most big Omega and Rolexforums daily and I have never seen a thread about a new Rolex 3135 movement failing as opposed to many threads about problems with the Omega 2500c movement here.

This is my observation after some time owning both pieces. It´s not meant to offend anyone. :-!
You are not offending anyone. You are speaking the truth and sometimes the truth hurts.

·
Registered
3,418 Posts
Well, the "truth" certainly doesn't hurt me. ;-) Just as I don't put too much stock in "Rolex" problem threads ( obviously you don't King) or reviews, I don't put too much stock in the PO defective threads. I don't have it both ways.

As been mentioned many many times, using an insignificant sample to determine "reality" is imprudent. I have also noticed, as mentioned before, that this particular forum tend to attract members ( some, not all) that seemingly feed off the negative and unsubstantiated frenzy to make broad sweeping conclusions. It's reaching. And for some, I think it's a way to make themselves feel better about their favorite brand that's not Omega.

I find it interesting that Zed specifically mentioned this forum. Don't know if he meant it that way or not. But, I've been on TRF, TZ, and the dive watch forum here on WUS ( many of them have POs) and some other watch forums and very very rarely come across problem PO threads. Moral of the story IMO? Watch forums aren't really a good basis to determine reliability of a particular watch either way--good or bad. It's hard to see outside of the trees. But, the forest is there.

You are not offending anyone. You are speaking the truth and sometimes the truth hurts.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Well, the "truth" certainly doesn't hurt me. ;-) Just as I don't put too much stock in "Rolex" problem threads ( obviously you don't King) or reviews, I don't put too much stock in the PO defective threads. I don't have it both ways.

As been mentioned many many times, using an insignificant sample to determine "reality" is imprudent. I have also noticed, as mentioned before, that this particular forum tend to attract members ( some, not all) that seemingly feed off the negative and unsubstantiated frenzy to make broad sweeping conclusions. It's reaching. And for some, I think it's a way to make themselves feel better about their favorite brand that's not Omega.

I find it interesting that Zed specifically mentioned this forum. Don't know if he meant it that way or not. But, I've been on TRF, TZ, and the dive watch forum here on WUS ( many of them have POs) and some other watch forums and very very rarely come across problem PO threads. Moral of the story IMO? Watch forums aren't really a good basis to determine reliability of a particular watch either way--good or bad. It's hard to see outside of the trees. But, the forest is there.

It was of course not my meaning to be patronizing this forum at all. My reference to this forum is because it´s the biggest Omegaforum that i know of. The Rolex forums that i frequent is TRF and WUS Rolex.

Of course on the Rolex forums there are threads about problems on Rolexes as well but they tend to relate to poor new style clasps and shattering ceramic bezels for example.

However, i realized that i was a little bit too negative about the PO earlier. I forgot to mention its positive sides and it´s a very good looking watch with a huge wrist presence. It beats the Sub by miles in that respect. It also feels like a tank when it comes to visual build quality and feel of the case/bracelet.

·
Registered
3,395 Posts
Pass the Kool Aid when you're done please. Thanks

·
Registered
659 Posts
Get the Rolex you want. Don't get a Rolex just because its a Rolex. I recommend getting the GMT instead. Just my two cents. BTW PO is one heck of a time piece. Are you sure you really want to trade it in? :)

·
Registered
10,693 Posts
I think that the Odet review is indeed accurate for that movement at that time. However, it would be rather dangerous to generalise from what was, while representative of the Cal.3000, clearly, an aberration in the broader history of Rolex movements .

Look at the movements that came before, movements like the 3035 and 1570, These really do stand toe to toe with anything from anyone that you can buy without a mortgage. Likewise, the later 3135 is a far better movement made to a far higher standard. In short, the 3000 which Odets looks to be the odd one out . A damaging and embarrassing black sheep to be sure but still not representative of the majority of Rolex's other movements.

It is disingenuous to assert that Odets was biased or that he got a 'Friday afternoon' watch. His review clearly implicates the production at that period. Why Rolex's standards slipped is another question. That they were far, far higher, both before and after is quite clear. Perhaps Odets did Rolex fans a favour by reminding Rolex of their brand standards. He has not been thanked for it.

I think the Odets article is a work of analytic brilliance. However, it has been a 'political' football: depending on your favourite cool aid flavour it either proves that all Rolex are rubbish which is supported by nothing more than advertising, or it means nothing as it was just a hater delighting in having found a very rare lemon (or worse). I can't help feeling that both camps are equally foolish.

I guess it is understandable thought; the fact is that all high end watches are unjustifiable Veblen goods and the tension between actual and perceived value cause a fair degree of cognitive dissonance. Is it any wonder that 'the faithful' grasp at any straws to rationalise their choices? There's no problem with rationalisation as long as your arguments are sound and your premises are valid. Indefensible 'opinions' are another matter.

·
Registered
10,693 Posts
I would love to. But a bunch of guys mugged me, took my Rolex and drank all the kool aid. They were wearing Omegas. :)
*joke*

They must have been 'false flag' Rolex agents then as no true Omega fanboy would touch a filthy Rolex.

/joke

·
Registered
379 Posts
These are three fine and rather similar watches. This isn't about the aesthetic or technical qualities, it is simply about what you really want.

You can only wear one at a time. Ask yourself which one you would have if it was the only watch you could have. That's the one you want. Two good watches is, ultimately an indulgence; the one you really want is better than the any other one or two which are not.

I think you will get the Rolex. You may well buy the others again in the future. that's OK too.
+1 100% what M4tt said...

Regards

·
Registered
53 Posts
I own both a Rolex and an Omega. Just my opinion but people in the United States recognize a Rolex but when you show them an Omega, many do not even know what it is. As a result, you are able to purchase a vintage Omega for a great price. As for a Rolex, it is hard to get a deal on a Rolex as they are pretty recognizable. It all boils down to why are you buying it. Rolex are better for resale if that is important to you. I feel Omega makes a better movement but that is just me. I prefer finding an extremely rare or unique watch that nobody has and everybody wants. Good conversation piece and makes you feel good wearing it on your wrist.

·
Registered
623 Posts
In my opinion you should only do so if you prefer the watch in question. I don't think there's anything in it in quality (whether Rolex's mass produced movements are produced in a shed with a rolex marque on the outside, and Omega's in a shed with an ETA logo, is of no odds to me), and i really wouldn't buy one 'just because it's rolex'.

Funnily enough I was travelling yesterday and visited an AD much bigger than any in my home town. I saw the widest range of rolexes and omegas side by side that I can recall seeing. I had some fun comparing models, this is what I reckon;

speedy (both pro and date) are far nicer than the daytona
old style sub pips the seamaster pro for me
but the new one, which is more like a PO size thing to me, is inferior to the PO (i'd also take the PO over the GMT)
I'd take a deep sea over a ploprof
a railmaster over a milgauss
i'd take an aqua terra over any of the oyster / explorer / datejust / air king lineup (though I have to say the biggest aqua terras have jumped the shark imho - more on another thread)
smp points above notwithstanding i'd take the great white over the explorer II, which i think it most closely aesthetically resembles.

i'm not interested in dress watches but i'd say overall the cellini range pip the devilles and i don't like connies at all.

so a mixed result but with omega mostly in front.

moreover, what's missing from this in terms of my personal taste is rolex wins against omegas i'm less keen on. i'd take a Speedy, PO or Aqua Terra (39mm) over anything in the rolex line up.

in fact, if you offered me a roly from that AD (and if I just didn't take the most expensive one to sell on!) the one i'd have taken was the cheapest there - a simple brushed steel air king.

even the milgauss which i liked in the green crystal version was, in standard editions and under closer scrutiny, far too shiney for me.

i think omega wins hands down on aesthetics in the ranges that interest me.

·
Registered
379 Posts
The thing I find infuriating about Rolex copy is that it never lies outright, but boy does it misdirect, twist and imply.
Lovely watches though.
Come on M4tt - that's a bit harsh - you mean like, "PO, George Clooney's choice," (or whatever other film star they're paying at any given time), or

"The first and only watch worn on the moon." (yes I'm reading that from my sandwich as I write).:-d

Maybe Carlsburg is the best lager in the world, probably, and don't forget vorsprun durk technik.

If Carlsburg made watches, they'd be Rolex ones.:-d

Regards

·
Registered
10,693 Posts
See, that's how bad they are. Not satisfied with their own lies they infected the Omega ad department too.;-)

Actually, you are quite correct. I could try to argue that the pretence that Hillary wore a Rolex on Everest is worse than the pretence that Scott didn't wear a Waltham on the moon, but I think you have won the argument in one fell swoop with those well chosen examples.

*grumble*

My speedmaster sandwich doesn't have that written on it; mine says 'Hovis'

Omega: just as bad as Rolex, but cheaper.

·
Registered
379 Posts
See, that's how bad they are. Not satisfied with their own lies they infected the Omega ad department too.;-)

Actually, you are quite correct. I could try to argue that the pretence that Hillary wore a Rolex on Everest is worse than the pretence that Scott didn't wear a Waltham on the moon, but I think you have won the argument in one fell swoop with those well chosen examples.

*grumble*

My speedmaster sandwich doesn't have that written on it; mine says 'Hovis'

LOL :-d:-!:-d - M4tt - you made my night - I'm almost crying with laughter:-!

I'm off to get some shut eye - have a good evening Sir.

Regards

61 - 80 of 117 Posts