WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

81 - 100 of 117 Posts

·
Registered
379 Posts
I think that the Odet review is indeed accurate for that movement at that time. However, it would be rather dangerous to generalise from what was, while representative of the Cal.3000, clearly, an aberration in the broader history of Rolex movements .

Look at the movements that came before, movements like the 3035 and 1570, These really do stand toe to toe with anything from anyone that you can buy without a mortgage. Likewise, the later 3135 is a far better movement made to a far higher standard. In short, the 3000 which Odets looks to be the odd one out . A damaging and embarrassing black sheep to be sure but still not representative of the majority of Rolex's other movements.

It is disingenuous to assert that Odets was biased or that he got a 'Friday afternoon' watch. His review clearly implicates the production at that period. Why Rolex's standards slipped is another question. That they were far, far higher, both before and after is quite clear. Perhaps Odets did Rolex fans a favour by reminding Rolex of their brand standards. He has not been thanked for it.

I think the Odets article is a work of analytic brilliance. However, it has been a 'political' football: depending on your favourite cool aid flavour it either proves that all Rolex are rubbish which is supported by nothing more than advertising, or it means nothing as it was just a hater delighting in having found a very rare lemon (or worse). I can't help feeling that both camps are equally foolish.

I guess it is understandable thought; the fact is that all high end watches are unjustifiable Veblen goods and the tension between actual and perceived value cause a fair degree of cognitive dissonance. Is it any wonder that 'the faithful' grasp at any straws to rationalise their choices? There's no problem with rationalisation as long as your arguments are sound and your premises are valid. Indefensible 'opinions' are another matter.
A very well thought out piece M4tt - and much of which I agree with.

Regards

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
Wow, it never fails to amaze me about how strongly people feel in the Omega vs Rolex debate.

My take: I like Rolex, and I like Omega. Rolex is slower than Omega in terms of watch evolution. That is both good and bad. I like the fact that the Sea-Dweller I wear today has loads of DNA derived directly from the original Submariner. While I appreciate Rolex "updating" its sports line in recent years, I'm not sure any of those changes really make the watches any better.

The day I bought my Rolex at an AD, I spent a lot of time looking at the PO, which was approximately 50% of the price. I remember trying to sell myself on the PO, which I knew was technically at least as good, and probably better, than the Sea-Dweller. But I couldn't do it. The heart wants what the heart wants, no?

I'm worried about Omega trying to compete with Rolex head-to-head, at the same price point. I'm not sure how that's going to work out. I hope they do well. I liked the idea of being able to buy a 2254.50 for about 1/3 the price of a Submariner.

I'll leave you with one question, and know that I'm taking a risk doing this on an Omega forum. This was posed on a similar thread here recently. If the Submariner and the PO were the exact same price, which one would you buy?

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #83
Well, I've made a decision.
I've decided to keep BOTH my SMP and PO, and just keep on saving for a Rolex.
I love both of my Omegas too much to get rid of them.

Oh, and to answer the question, if the PO and Sub were the same price, I'd get the PO.

Also, I noticed someone made a thread about why people are posting so many "Omega vs. Rolex" threads. I hope that person understands that (believe it or not lol) that was NOT the intention of this thread. I know both Omega and Rolex very well, and I just wanted others opinions on what they would do if they had the opportunity.
I too, have seen TONS of "Omega vs. Rolex" in the many watch forums I've belonged to, and frankly it IS getting a bit old.
Myself personally, I've always been an "Omega man" but have always had a small itch for a Rolex. Again, probably for the wrong reasons (not for the watch itself, which is what buying a watch should be about in the first place), but just to SAY you have a Rolex.
Stupid I know, but hey, everyone was young and dumb and some point lol

So again, my deepest apologies if I made anyone upset about my post, that was NOT my intention. And, as already noted my decision has been made: I'm KEEPING BOTH Omegas !!!!

Thank you very much again everyone for your responses, many of you had me "wake up and see the light".
Many times you don't realize what you will miss until it's gone. And now that I have these two right in front of me, I don't want to imagine that lol

Thanks again,
Mike

·
Registered
3,395 Posts
I'll leave you with one question, and know that I'm taking a risk doing this on an Omega forum. This was posed on a similar thread here recently. If the Submariner and the PO were the exact same price, which one would you buy?
That is a tough one given that Rolex has the better brand and resale...

Take all of that out of the equation and easily the PO, but given that the PO sells used for alot less than a used Sub it really isn't "fair" pitting them pound for pound new...

Hopefully Omega is successful in raising their prices though for people like me it won't be so good as I enjoy the savings, but if that is what it takes to get "respect" in this industry (high prices and no discount) then so be it.

·
Registered
72 Posts
One thing I have found with my Rolex pieces over the years is that generally the attention it attracts is less than desireable to me...

Most revolve around how much it cost or in very rare circumstances generates the "is it real" comments...

The worst are from fellow Rolex owners though, as the majority I have met typify what many percieve as the "stereotypical" Rolex owner...like the guy a few years trying to sell me a timeshare a few years back who also owned a Sub and was obnoxious about it, or all of the other sales people I have met that just have to comment about how awesome they are...

I even had a boss give me a hard time about it once saying they paid me too much.

Contrast that with my Omega that the comments I have gotten on it (and more than I have gotten on my Rolex FWIW) have all revolved around how nice it looks and how different it is. Really alot easier talking about that aspect of the watches than their cost IMHO.
Matthew J,

I've had similar experiences. I've been in many situations with a client where I felt self conscious wearing a Rolex, afraid that they might think I was 'lording' it over on them. I loved the Rolex Daytona for itself (tough, beautiful, rare), but it would make me nuts when I suspected that someone was thinking that I had a Rolex to 'impress people' ... I wanted to scream "I don't give a flying *&#@ if you're impressed by my watch or not - it's not about YOU! "

I'm much happier and more comfortable with my PO - it fits the 'inner me' better than the Rolex did; I love it; it's gorgeous; and Omega has a nice story that people enjoy hearing

·
Registered
3,395 Posts
Matthew J,

I've had similar experiences. I've been in many situations with a client where I felt self conscious wearing a Rolex, afraid that they might think I was 'lording' it over on them. I loved the Rolex Daytona for itself (tough, beautiful, rare), but it would make me nuts when I suspected that someone was thinking that I had a Rolex to 'impress people' ... I wanted to scream "I don't give a flying *&#@ if you're impressed by my watch or not - it's not about YOU! "

I'm much happier and more comfortable with my PO - it fits the 'inner me' better than the Rolex did; I love it; it's gorgeous; and Omega has a nice story that people enjoy hearing
Hey,

So I would love a Daytona, and wouldn't care about what anyone thought on some level, but it is at least for me awkward when the conversation revolves around how much the thing costs...

I remember one co worker saying I should sell it so I could afford to take more vacations (he wasn't very comitted to his work), same guy asked if I liked all the diamonds around the dial (mistook the superluminova for diamonds)...or one of my wife's former friends who complained about her husband who didn't earn much and she was consumed with status and money, she noticed the watch and commented...awkward for me for whatever reason.

What really lets me down though is when I used to try and approach other owners who had seemingly nice watches, like vintage or modern Subs or other sports pieces, ask them about their watch and it is like you have 9 heads, even guys I work with are like that to a degree (one guy has a Sub and some massive Breitling) and it is like deer in headlights when you mention some technical detail of the watch....

Very different from the few Omega owners I have met, all of which really "knew" their stuff about watches in some way and were interested to talk about them...

The only "good" Rolex conversation I had was with a waitor at a TGI Fridays who was wearing a 16200 Datejust, he noticed my Explorer at the time and we talked for a good 15 minutes on Rolex in general.

·
Registered
199 Posts
That is a tough one given that Rolex has the better brand and resale...

Take all of that out of the equation and easily the PO, but given that the PO sells used for alot less than a used Sub it really isn't "fair" pitting them pound for pound new...

Hopefully Omega is successful in raising their prices though for people like me it won't be so good as I enjoy the savings, but if that is what it takes to get "respect" in this industry (high prices and no discount) then so be it.
+1.

Personally, I will pick the PO over the Sub anyday if comparing them purely based on design....same thing with the Speedy versus the Daytona.

·
Moderator Omega Forum
2,731 Posts
Mathew,

Just for those of us not so bright one's on the forum, who may find the above statement a little difficult to follow, (or maybe it's just me), could you just explain exactly why you would think it was a good thing for Omega to raise their prices?

Are you saying that you're willing to pay extra just for the additional 'respect' that a more expensive watch carries, without any improvement in the product.

Isn't this exactly what you hate about the 'other' brand??

Sean

·
Registered
3,395 Posts
Mathew,

could you just explain exactly why you would think it was a good thing for Omega to raise their prices?

Are you saying that you're willing to pay extra just for the additional 'respect' that a more expensive watch carries, without any improvement in the product.

Isn't this exactly what you hate about the 'other' brand??

Sean
I don't believe Omega will do just a straight up massive price increase without improving their products, though I could be wrong.

I do think that they will do what they can to try and reduce discounting and grey market sales, which IMHO will do alot to help their image with the masses from a percieved prestige thing and hopefully also help with their resale.

I then hope that they will systematically upgrade their line at which point prices may go up, as witnessed with seemingly most of the new models being released.

Already the approach of the two companies is vastly different, the former essentially took a few decades off when they were really the only name in the high end game that the general public seemed to care about, whereas Omega has always seemed to keep their pieces "current", really I am thinking of the Speedy where they upgraded the bracelet clasp and kept the price relatively low, a piece which I feel is very undervalued and should sell for more.

So in one case I feel their products are too expensive for what you get (and historically have been that way) wheras with Omega I feel that on the whole their watches are too inexpensive and should command more, which is really at odds with my buying nature as I prefer to save money whenever possible.

·
Registered
1,251 Posts
I think it's usually a bad idea to get rid of watches in order to get new watches. What's really bad if you give up some nice watches and then end up with something that doesn't meet your expectations.

I think Rolex makes some good watches. But I think the Omegas are better! A company that took a bet on George Daniels' co-axial movement gets my vote!

·
Registered
929 Posts
I think they should change the name of this forum from the "Omega Forum" to the "I want a Rolex" forum. Sorry, but I've seen too many of these posts lately. It kind of reminds me of the guy who buys a honda motorcycle and then spends all his time dreaming about getting a harley.
Yeah ! ,,, but you can't plough the fields on a Honda ! .

In all seriously , if it was me I would keep both Omega's and save up for a Tudor .

Beanerds .

·
Registered
2,413 Posts
sigh

René

Reactions: 2premo

·
Registered
2,413 Posts
Over ten years! I think that's the oldest I've seen so far.
WUS needs to get rid of the "Recommended Reading" section...or at least change it somehow to...wait, no, just get rid of it.

It was probably added to help those who found it difficult to use the search function, but this is getting ridiculous.

René

Reactions: cybercat

·
Registered
2,413 Posts
another thread dragged back from the dustbin, is this #4 this week?
I'm pretty sure it's been more than that.

René

·
Registered
1,688 Posts
WUS needs to get rid of the "Recommended Reading" section...or at least change it somehow to...wait, no, just get rid of it.

It was probably added to help those who found it difficult to use the search function, but this is getting ridiculous.

René
"Recommended Reading" is not recommended commenting, lol

·
Registered
2,413 Posts
"Recommended Reading" is not recommended commenting, lol
I think what is happening is that people are seeing topics in the "Recommended Reading" section and assuming the threads are all current.

I know it's happened to me back when the "upgrade" first happened. I didnt comment mind you, but I just as easily could have.

René

·
Registered
167 Posts
I would always go with the Omega. In my mind (and i may be wrong but this is the perception I have of Rolex owners) I equate all Rolex owners to pompous asses who want to display their wealth in the most ostentatious way possible. Rolex's are the brand of choice of all rappers along with all their bling and diamond studded crap.
I would be way too self conscious wearing a Rolex and that ginormous crown on the dial which screams: "look I own a Rolex you plebeian". There is nothing that reeks of nouveau riche more than a Rolex. I would be way too self conscious wearing one. If I was given one I would immediately sell it. In a nutshell people who buy a Rolex want to show their success in life and want to display their wealth (the same reason why anyone would want to purchase a Rolls Royce, you have more practical options to ride in something to take your from point A to point B but you decide to buy a Rolls because it shows your status in life).

·
Registered
1,479 Posts
The above (#99) is one of the more idiotic posts I've read here all day...

Thank God for the Ignore feature here.

Back to the topic at hand, one doesn't need to pick one or the other. I own both brands. (SS Sub, SS GMT II, TT DJ as well as a vintage TT Constellation and Speedmaster 3750.50). I also own a few lesser brands that I equally enjoy.

81 - 100 of 117 Posts