WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
338 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Earlier this year I bought a Hanhart Pioneer One Grey Dial. As soon as I saw it I knew I wanted it and I was looking for a new watch at the time. I'm not posting a photo of it as I don't want this to be perceived as a selling post because it isn't.

I really like the watch but it just isn't getting much wrist time.

My very small and modest collection consists of a Seiko SARX 033 which is 40mm and perfect as a smarter dress watch.

SARX033.jpg

I have a G-Shock square which is as light as a feather and is a perfect gym, beach and throw everything at it watch.

G-Shock.jpg

This week I received my latest acquisition, a Steinhart OVM 39 which I will post a photo of:

image.jpeg

I also have for when I want to be a little more connected, a Kronaby Sekel. Not my watch, but here is a photo. This is a 40mm watch:

Kronaby.jpg

The issue I have with the Hanhart is that it is 42mm and has a fairly large crown. I wear a watch on my left hand and the crown is on the right so I can find after a while, especially if I am wearing a long sleeve top, that the crown starts to dig into the back of my wrist and it becomes uncomfortable.

My G-shock square is really light and comfortable, my Seiko at 40mm, the Kronaby at 40mm and the Steinhart at 39mm are also all really comfortable. Clearly I have found out that 42mm is not for me and I wouldn't buy another 42mm watch. There is however something about the Hanhart that I really like. It is a casual watch that I could wear in the summer when not wearing long sleeves but I feel at the same time I might be trying to justify keeping it.

Clearly I'm not going to get what I paid for it if I sell it and I really don't think there is something of its quality that I could replace it using solely the funds from a sale.

I've never sold any of my watches in the past and I read that some people flip a watch and move on when a watch isn't going to get much wrist time, but equally I read many posts where someone has sold a watch they liked and then regretted it.

Do I keep it and just wear it on occasions or sell it and take the hit? If I do sell it, what should I replace it with. It is more of a pilot/flieger style watch which I quite like. It is the grey dial that sold it to me but if I did replace it, I have a little bit of an urge for a dark green dial. Whether or not such a dial exists in a pilot style watch that is 39mm-40mm I have no idea. I'm purely guessing but if I did sell it I would be hopeful of around 600-700 Euros. So around £600.00 or $750. I'd be happy to top it up a bit but wouldn't want to add too much so I'm not sure if I'd end up with some cash but not too many options to replace it.

Thanks

·
Registered
3,002 Posts
Building on the above, if it's not comfortable, sell and get a replacement. If you're selling because you're not wearing it, do you think any replacements will have more wrist time?

·
Registered
338 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Building on the above, if it's not comfortable, sell and get a replacement. If you're selling because you're not wearing it, do you think any replacements will have more wrist time?
To a large extent that will depend on the replacement but probably, yes.

·
Registered
3,038 Posts
Yep sell it. now that you've figured out your sweet spot size wise it will never get worn as you'll always reach for the more comfortable option. Best to move it on and get something else based on what you know now.

Chances are you'll take a hit on resale but thats part of the game unfortunately.

Sent from my SM-N960F using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,478 Posts
not comfortable = sell
not wearing , no emotional value = sell
Yep sell it. now that you've figured out your sweet spot size wise it will never get worn as you'll always reach for the more comfortable option. Best to move it on and get something else based on what you know now.

Chances are you'll take a hit on resale but thats part of the game unfortunately.

Sent from my SM-N960F using Tapatalk
Both of these.

·
Premium Member
781 Posts
Yup, sell then save for another piece that really is something you'll wear. There are plenty of great gray dial watches out there.

·
Registered
1,235 Posts
From your description, I'd say sell.

Maybe take a look at Sinn? They have some lovely pilot's watches that I suspect will fit you much better.

·
Banned
151 Posts
I think whatever your not comfortable with should be the first to leave your collection. Keeps you free from unnecessary occupiers

·
Premium Member
4,077 Posts
Move it, and move on , with a watch you like , is comfortable and that you will wear.

·
Registered
3,268 Posts
Sell it.

You have similar tastes to me, OP:

I used to own a SARB033 (sold to fund a Sinn).
I used to own a Steinhart OVM 39 (sold to fund a quartz dive watch - as yet unbought).
I've also been interested in the Hanhart Pioneer (the new one in a blue dial).
That Kronaby looks nice.
The only major difference is I have no interest in G-Shocks.

I talked myself out of buying a Hanhart Pioneer in the first post of this thread:
https://www.watchuseek.com/f2/post-...ying-well-find-ways-talk-you-out-4966067.html

I would say that 42mm plus an extra crown digging into your wrist is no fun at all. The watch may be great (the coin style bezel is awesome) but regretfully, it is just too big.
If you love the Hanhart style, I would suggest a change to the Preventor9, which I also think looks great and is smaller.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts