WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
14,324 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I stopped at a Seiko AD earlier tonight. Just a spur of the moment kinda thing after dinner.
The sexist pig that I *might* be, I was a bit surprised by how knowledgeable the lady(!) behind the counter was about the different movements.

She not only kindly showed me some of the more recent releases - including the "Cocktail" !! - she also gave me a copy of the new catalog!

Anyhoo, she would put on her thin cotton gloves before every time she reached inside the cabinet to fetch a watch for me, so I felt a little self-conscious about handling them with my greasy fingers, especially the Anantas and the GS.
So I politely declined to handle them.
I know: customer is king. But I just couldn't do it, especially as I was NOT gonna buy a watch from her tonight.

I am thinking of taking a pair of gloves with me next time, so I can handle them, then walk away with a clear conscience.
Anybody else have this... this... "squeamishness"?

PS: I am so going back to buy the Cocktail! Uh...real soon. :roll:

·
Registered
3,657 Posts
Re: Wearing GLOVES to handle watches in a store?

I just recently bought a very nice watch at a boutique when I was in Paris, and the girl that helped me put on gloves to handle the watches that interested me (I'll make an arrival thread when I have time). I thought it was very nice practice, and I certainly appreciated it. It was a bit weird not having gloves on myself, but I didn't have a problem with it.

·
Moderator Public Forum
22,614 Posts

I have seen a few watch sellers use gloves when handling watches and other jewelery. While it may reduce the time needed to polish watches I think it may be off-putting to some people who may ultimately just walk out the door.

·
Registered
23,771 Posts

It wouldn't bother me. Respectful of the product, the customer, and others who may wish to view the watches I'd say.

Reactions: JWM69

·
Registered
14,324 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

Sure, there is a side of me that thinks THAT is how the sales people should do things, not the customer.
But, applying the Golden Rule, I thought it would not be a bad thing for ME to show some respect back - to the seller, but also to the maker, perhaps even to other customers (whoever they are), and ultimately to the object itself - since it is not yet mine to do with it as I please.

It happened, so I got to thinking about it for the first time, is all.

·
Registered
61 Posts

we wear gloves to show watches at my job because we dont want our hands to smudge the finish when showing it to a guest, presentation is important.

·
Registered
5,330 Posts

It doesn't bother me. They just want to keep their products looking good at all times.

·
Registered
10,228 Posts
I think it's a good practice. I cannot tell you how often a salesperson just sets a $5000 watch on the glass, not even gently, or knocks it over putting it in or taking it out of the case. The gloves thing would tell me, as a customer, that they really take care of the products behind the glass and I'm not going to end p finding hairline scratches all over it a week after I buy and look at it in the right light.

·
Registered
14,324 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

I think I should change the title to "Should the customer wear gloves?"

·
Registered
5,873 Posts

I like to see the sales assistant wearing gloves - it shows respect for the product.
I also think the customer should wear gloves as, yes, you are buying the product, but not the product you are handling at the time. That tends to be a display model thus you should also take due care to keep it in good condition for other customers, like yourself, who wish to look at, or purchase, it.

cheers,
Jake.

Reactions: Chronopolis

·
Registered
14,324 Posts
Discussion Starter #11

It just seems like basic decency to me. I mean, we're not talking about "beaters."
We're talking very high quality watches that really deserve to be handled with extreme care and respect.

If I were a store owner, I sure would appreciate careful handling from a potential customer. And ALL customers are potential customers till they actually buy something.
What's in it for any store to let any customer who just walked in from the street to handle a watch that costs thousands?
Sure, *MAYBE* a sale. But that's not guaranteed.

BTW, this topic touches on some other threads that talked about one gets treated in a store, based on how one is dressed, etc.
And some people got ticked off at some sales people's attitudes etc.

So,it seems to me, asking a customer to wear gloves - provided by the store of course - is reasonable for high end watches. And it is reasonable to expect a serious customer to comply with such a request.
I think this kind of mutual show of respect would eliminate unnecessary suspicions about snobby attitudes and whatnot.

·
Registered
7,734 Posts

If a store would like costumers to wear gloves before handling their watches, they must offer gloves with manner to their customers before sales present watches. As mutual respect with to the product they sell and their customers. The watch they show me, could be my purchase. I would like to handle it with care too. The store also should treat their $500 under watches and $5,000+ watches with equal respectable manner. All watches and all customers are equal. I think it is professional.

·
Banned
21,244 Posts

I think it is very practical if the sales person wears gloves:
1: They can polish the watch quickly when they hand it to your greasy hams, so it sparkles
2: When you are done with the slobbering, they take it back and gently remove all the fingerprints, clean&polish it before placing it in the display case

·
Registered
321 Posts
I always make sure I put the watch on the felt pad, but I don't worry about wearing gloves (even if the sales person does). I am just careful to mostly handle the back and sides and not put my fingers on the face.

·
Registered
2,724 Posts

I can see both sides of this issue and yes the sales person wearing gloves or using a cloth and a mat is impressive and really a good sales and protective technique. BUT, requiring a customer to wear gloves is not in the best interest of the sale. For one, if I am looking at watch or a piece of jewelry, part of the buying and inspection process is feeling, touching and trying on, etc.

·
Registered
7,734 Posts

For one, if I am looking at watch or a piece of jewelry, part of the buying and inspection process is feeling, touching and trying on, etc.
This is also very true that I didn't think about. I agree.

·
Registered
23,771 Posts

I can see both sides of this issue and yes the sales person wearing gloves or using a cloth and a mat is impressive and really a good sales and protective technique. BUT, requiring a customer to wear gloves is not in the best interest of the sale. For one, if I am looking at watch or a piece of jewelry, part of the buying and inspection process is feeling, touching and trying on, etc.
I agree with this. I don't think the customer can get a "feel" for the watch when wearing gloves.

·
Banned
626 Posts

Sure, there is a side of me that thinks THAT is how the sales people should do things, not the customer.
But, applying the Golden Rule, I thought it would not be a bad thing for ME to show some respect back - to the seller, but also to the maker, perhaps even to other customers (whoever they are), and ultimately to the object itself - since it is not yet mine to do with it as I please.

It happened, so I got to thinking about it for the first time, is all.
The idea behind gloves is good. Sales people should wear them. It basically cuts the fat exposure by 50%. The customer should not wear them (plus we are talking Seiko here, not Lange) because s/he needs to get a real feel for the watch. Impossible with finger condoms.

OTOH, I think it's preposterous of some AD to try to foist a piece on a customer as new that has been handled dozens or hundreds of times by store personnel and potential customers. The should be an automatic 30% reduction on display models.

·
Registered
39,682 Posts

It's policy of most watch stores to wear gloves when handling watches, but it's mostly ignored. Some dumbass
stores don't even have counter pads or know how to present a watch.

·
Registered
14,324 Posts
Discussion Starter #20

It's policy of most watch stores to wear gloves when handling watches, but it's mostly ignored. Some dumbass
stores don't even have counter pads or know how to present a watch.
In that case, I think I could also "slobber" all over the watch and not give a poo.
And if I liked the watch, I'd probably go buy it elsewhere. :)

1 - 20 of 42 Posts