WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2,929 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We did this a couple of times on the old forum, but have never done it on the new forum. Basically, this was a time check vs. www.time.gov at the beginning of each month. It gave us useful info on which brands meet their claims and a sense of relative performance. It would be nice to recreate that. Also, I have a few new HEQs, so it would be fun to track them.

Previously, we had high stakes riding on this (bragging rights :-d ) so we posted pics of the watch next to the time.gov screen. This time I'm thinking a written report would suffice.

Anyone up for this? If so, reset your watches now (I did mine yesterday), and let's begin the reports on Feb. 1.

·
Registered
106 Posts
I'm in - although I rather not reset my watch beginning of Feb, while I wish to see my The Citizen long term accuracy from the beginning (2 years in April). However, it's no problem for me to report also drift from Feb 1st onward.

·
Registered
2,929 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I'm in - although I rather not reset my watch beginning of Feb, while I wish to see my The Citizen long term accuracy from the beginning (2 years in April). However, it's no problem for me to report also drift from Feb 1st onward.
Sounds good! Make sure you make a note of the time now, as we'll be looking for a report on the drift relative to now on Feb 1.

·
Banned
3,654 Posts
I'm in with my Longines Conquest VHP Perpetual Calendar though I too would rather report drift from February 1st onward without resetting the watch.

·
Registered
196 Posts
I'm in - I recently got my Omega Marine Chrono so I'm keen to see how it is going. I'm reasonably sure that it is gaining but I'm guessing that it has never been serviced, so after 30 years it might be forgiven for needing some fine tuning.

·
Premium Member
1,049 Posts
IF you're a risk-taker...

...you can try your hand at it. The adjustment screw is very accessible. The only thing you have to watch is that the rubber gasket doesn't fall into the movement when you remove the caseback; sometimes the gasket will want to stick to the main part of the case (which is great), but other times it'll want to travel with the caseback as you're lifting it, in which case you just want to watch what you're doing. If you're going to send it in for adjustment/servicing anyone, you might want to try it beforehand.

Just don't trust what I said in the photo about which direction makes it run faster/slower -- I swear I have one that works the other way, although I'm not sure why. You can turn the screw very slightly in either direction and watch it for a few days to see if it's fast/slow. Because the MC jumps every second, it doesn't take long at all to figure out if it's a bit fast or a bit slow relative to atomic time unless it's already very close to being spot-on. I'm in the midst of adjusting one of them now -- definitely the iterative, "brute force" method!

Attachments

·
Registered
196 Posts
Re: IF you're a risk-taker...

Thanks for the tip. I have had the back off but had drawn the line at adjusting it myself. However, as you are now the second source giving the same advice on how to do it, I will give it a go.

·
Registered
904 Posts
I'm in with my spring drive:-!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts