WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 60 Posts

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've heard many times on this forum to "hold out for the grail" rather than buying something to temporarily feed your watch appetite. This does make sense in some ways because obviously nothing else will satisfy the desire, but my question to the more experienced collectors is, where do you draw the line?

My grail at this point is a Datejust II but it seems crazy to me that I should wait until I get $9k saved up before I buy. Even if I were to save up for a less expensive watch I really want like an Aqua Terra, again we are talking a long time to save up that kind of money. My nicest watch is an old Seiko quartz, I'm ready to upgrade!

I'm not saying I disagree with the "hold out for the grail" sentiment but for me I'm probably going to buy a $2,000 NOMOS to get my first nice watch rather than holding out.

I'd be interested to hear what you guys think.

·
Registered
3,747 Posts
Few us us are "one watch" people, but in general we also realize that buying something instead of something we really want too often leads to disappointment. With that in mind, I'd say that it might make sense to buy a less expensive watch you really want on the way to your "grail" if (and perhaps only if) that watch would be a fit in your overall collection when expanded to include the grail. So, if you really want a Sub, don't buy a Seamaster, but an elegant little Nomos for a dressy occasion might just fit the ticket.

·
Registered
619 Posts
We seem to have similar tastes - I'm "holding out" for an Explorer II, but I bought a NOMOS Orion last year to help fill the gap.

If/when I do get the grail watch, I will still use my NOMOS (and a couple others I already had at that point). It is a great watch and I like to use at least a couple different ones during the week. So in my case, I think it was a good call.

·
Registered
901 Posts
Get a watch you are happy owning until you get what you are really aiming for, if it will take a while to reach that goal. If you are years away from owning the DJII or AT, don't go years without owning something you are happy with! Remember, once you are close to being able to afford the goal watch you can sell whatever you bought to tide you over, in order to get yourself the extra bit needed.

·
Registered
1,732 Posts
i'm with you. i say get something else you like in the meantime. you never know, both arms could fall off one day, so you may end up holding out for something you may never see.

·
Registered
449 Posts
Deepends on your circumstances as youd expect to hear. Is spending the $2k going to push your grail acquisition out much farther that it becomes an impedement to acquiring said grail? Do you expect to be better off economically in a realistic timeframe that can negate the interim purchase impact? If you think you will take years to acquire said grail and the interim fills that timeframe, it doesnt sound like a bad purchase. I think some of the talk can be around buying x instead of grail but then quickly realizing its grail or nothing and they regret interim. But if interim is something u actually want in collection, well then its not a waste nor really an interim, its the watch you can wear now and there is nothing wrong with that, imho.

·
Registered
2,537 Posts
I've been trying to hold out to save enough for one of my grails, but interesting micros keep popping out right, left and center.

·
Registered
2,192 Posts
Don't go for the grail until you can appreciate it. When you're ready for it other watches will matter less. Nomos is no shabby step child to Rolex and is the best bang for the buck for an in-house made watch outside of the Japanese alternatives.

They're very different watches that in my opinion will fill different places in your collection. If it's any consolation, Rolex will always make the date just. Also, There will always be a million of them in mint condition that you can buy used.

·
Premium Member
7,408 Posts
In my opinion, holding out for the grail will lead to more entries in the "grail disappointment" thread.

How does one for whom watches are a hobby know what their grail is, without having owned a series of watches? A person who owns no watches will never have refined his tastes to really know what that grail watch should be.

Rick "who only owns a couple of dozen watches and still doesn't have a grail to hold out for" Denney

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Don't go for the grail until you can appreciate it. When you're ready for it other watches will matter less. Nomos is no shabby step child to Rolex and is the best bang for the buck for an in-house made watch outside of the Japanese alternatives.

They're very different watches that in my opinion will fill different places in your collection. If it's any consolation, Rolex will always make the date just. Also, There will always be a million of them in mint condition that you can buy used.
That is a good point about the availability of used DJs. I guess since the DJII hasn't been around all that long relatively speaking I don't see too many of those preowned.

It is a lot of fun to imagine my collection of the future with a NOMOS Orion 38 alongside my DJII.

·
Registered
3,109 Posts
Grail gets used flippantly.

Settling sucks. No matter what. A watch is a luxury, and it should be luxurious. If it's 'meh', then you are reminded every time you wear it. And the two thousand spent on a mediocre thing is worse than not having spent it at all.

My 'grail' is my Nomos. I bought other stuff for two years before saying 'aww, just go for it ya idiot' and got it. As soon as I got it the desire to own other watches disappeared. YMMV.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
This a very good point as well. It is entirely possible that I may not want the vaunted DJII after having owned a few other watches. I've already seen in my short period of watch interest the watch I had made up my mind to purchase has already changed a few times. First a Hamilton Thin-o-matic, then an Oris Classic Date, then a Ball Engineer II Ohio, then a Muhle 29er Big. I've been on the NOMOS Orion for a few weeks now...

This will never end.

·
Registered
1,315 Posts
I enjoy all types of watches and I to be honest don't have a grail that I can afford

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
10,872 Posts
I think you should hold out.....I went the other route and have a dozen watches I need to get rid of....
Know how hard it is to sell a $5,000.00 watch you wore 3 times and not loose 75% on it?
It's HARD!!

·
Registered
4,250 Posts
Option 1. Save for the grail and be happy as the time you saved and finally obtained it the feeling is most rewarding.
Option 2. Buy something else, sell, lose money then buy your grail after realizing you should of waited.

·
Registered
268 Posts
Grail gets used flippantly.
I'm a very impulsive buyer, but I, too, feel that the term "grail" gets used a bit too often.
Of course I don't mean to impose my opinion on anyone else, but to me a "grail" watch is one that the individual may never actually acquire in their lifetime.
You know, like the Holy Grail.

For me this means a Langematik Perpetual.

It's amazing to me that somebody can decide that their ultimate dream watch is one that they can likely acquire in a few years, and I can only say more power to you!

As far as this thread is concerned, if I were to hold out for my grail I wouldn't ever have a watch to wear!

·
Registered
144 Posts
I say get some in-between watches. For several reasons:

1) A bare wrist is a shame, and if you forego having any watch at all (for years, even) until your grail is attained, then that's a missed opportunity.
2) You learn something with each watch you get - even if the lesson is "dang, I shouldn't have gotten this watch." It further refines your thought process about watches.
3) You can take more chances with a less-expensive watch and get something you wouldn't neccessarily commit several thousand dollars to but would be okay for a few hundred bucks.
4) In the process of trying out other watches, there's a good chance your grail will change. With each step deeper, you realize that the "unattainable" grail is actually within reach, and so will readjust accordingly.
5) You won't wear your grail watch all the time when you get it, so there's room for other watches in the rotation even then.

(No, I haven't thought about it too much at all. Why do you ask? :) )

·
Registered
1,732 Posts

·
Premium Member
14,568 Posts
You have five posts and you could not have joined more than 6 days ago. How many times could you have heard anything?

·
Registered
742 Posts
For me, my grail is a dssd. I don't have 10k, but will within 18 mos. I bought a pelagos to tide me over until then. I see nothing wrong with buying whatever suits your fancy. Just don't overdo it and totally sidetrack your ultimate goal.

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk 2

1 - 20 of 60 Posts