WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
5,275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I don't know much about Chinese watches.

I'd like to see some nice Chinese true moonphase watches. I don't mind buying from overseas. I saw the other thread asking about moonphase watches, but the OP is not interested in Seagull. This is part of my search for my friend.

So far I've seen Seagull's website, Parnis' website, and the couple for sale here.

·
Registered
1,941 Posts
Re: Show me some nice moonphase watches

Sea-Gull M199s is a fine piece

Reputable seller here, selling a non-branded version at a very reasonable price: http://www.good-stuffs.com/Non-branded-Sea-Gull-M199S-chronograph-stopwatch-moonphase-Seagull-ST1908-movement_p_33.html

Knowing your fine taste in watches, I think Parnis should best be avoided, they are mostly cheap homage watches re-branded as Parnis by a variety of individuals/companies. Quality control varies widely and the quality and finishing is generally poor.

Kindest Regards,
Portauto

Reactions: Gary123

·
Registered
4,538 Posts

I don't know much about Chinese watches. I'd like to see some nice Chinese true moonphase watches and know where I could go to buy one. I don't mind buying from overseas. I saw the other thread asking about moonphase watches, but the OP is not interested in Seagull. Can you all recommend some moonphases, and let me know where they can be purchased?

So far I've seen Seagull's website, Parnis' website, and the couple for sale here. My friend may even go for one of those.
Well your friend may not be interested in Sea-Gull, but most current, affordable moonphase movements in Chinese watches are made by Sea-Gull. :) There's not much way around them really. If he just doesn't like the Sea-Gull branding you could check out this Conrad.com moonphase:

672303_LB_00_FB.EPS_1000.jpg

·
Registered
5,275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)

Sea-Gull M199s is a fine piece

Reputable seller here, selling a non-branded version at a very reasonable price:Sea-Gull M199S chronograph stopwatch moon-phase Seagull ST1908 movement

Kindest Regards,
Portauto
Very Nice. That could be a winner. I don't think my friend has as high end tastes as I do, but I don't want to recommend something low quality that may disappoint. So I will avoid Parnis. Thanks Portauto.

Well your friend may not be interested in Sea-Gull, but most current, affordable moonphase movements in Chinese watches are made by Sea-Gull. :) There's not much way around them really. If he just doesn't like the Sea-Gull branding you could check out this Conrad.com moonphase:
That is a real beauty. Another poster was the one not interested in Sea-Gull, he didn't want to pay their price. Sea-Gull would be great for my friend. And that Conrad is a very nice watch! Never heard of them.

·
Registered
1,491 Posts

Not a real 29.5-day moonphase as I believe the OP is looking for.

·
Registered
349 Posts

Shanghai
b2b_20100731033139155273.jpg
T1aVJZXaJaXXcRYWA4_051718.jpg

·
Registered
1,491 Posts

I would be very interested in owning that Shanghai. What is it called?

·
Registered
349 Posts

I would be very interested in owning that Shanghai. What is it called?
S506-5-12
You can buy them from taobao via agent

edit: there appears to be gold dial and a silver dial version. Be sure to ask.

http://item.taobao.com/item.htm?id=9134063535

ÕýÆ·ÉϺ£ÅÆÊÖ±í/×Ô¶¯»úе±í/09ÄêпîÉϺ£ÅÆÔÂÏà±í S506-5-12-ÌÔ±¦Íø
ÉϺ£ÅÆ×Ô¶¯»úе±í|ÉϺ£ÅÆÔÂÏà±íS506-5-12|Ò¹¹â-ÌÔ±¦Íø

The movement is probably a Shanghai 2L movement, , price is 1580 Yuan, which is 256 dollars. The watch's name is S506-5-12, 30 meter water resist, 43mm case, 13mm thick. It is based on a Blancpain dial layout, but with a more sporty look. Here is a discussion about it on chinese forum, with plenty of picture. (as always on watch forums..)
http://www.iwatch365.net/thread-16124371-1-1.html
If i ever wonna get a moonphase, this is probably the one I get. though probably I'll get one retail on my next trip to china.

·
Registered
5,275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)

Nice post xingfenzhen! I like that one quite a bit. This is a strong contender.

Pardon my ignorance, but if it is a Shanghai 2L movement, who makes that? Is it a decent movement. And what about getting Chinese movements serviced, does one just go to any service technician? One doesn't treat them as disposable watches, do you?

·
Registered
5,275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)

·
Registered
1,491 Posts

You have to purchase the watch through a Taobao agent, such as Taobaonow or go2tao, who will serve as your English and Chinese-speaking intermediary to complete the transaction. The TaoBao agent will approach the seller and confirm availability of the product, at which point you will pay the agent + 10% commission + shipping, then they will buy it and ship it to you. The whole process will take about a month from start to finish, but you'll be a proud owner of a watch born and raised in China. :)

·
Registered
15 Posts

a 15 euro automatic watch from dx.com All subdials work + >24 hour powerreserve!

·
Registered
349 Posts

You have to purchase the watch through a Taobao agent, such as Taobaonow or go2tao, who will serve as your English and Chinese-speaking intermediary to complete the transaction. The TaoBao agent will approach the seller and confirm availability of the product, at which point you will pay the agent + 10% commission + shipping, then they will buy it and ship it to you. The whole process will take about a month from start to finish, but you'll be a proud owner of a watch born and raised in China. :)
or you can go bug Jack Ma put the item on Aliexpress. He has being testing the waters of bring taobao products internationally for years, but never fully committed to bring ALL ITEMs internationally.

·
Registered
1,491 Posts

I really like Aliexpress as a website--being able to see goods I'd never otherwise find in the west--but my god are there ton of ripoffs. In ten minutes I found three Jaeger-LeCoultre, two Longines, a Patek Philippe and an IWC, all happily powered by Chinese movements of various makes.

//EDIT: And in the time it took me to write this post, three Tissot Le Locle clones, along with a Vacheron Constantin.

·
Registered
5,275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 · (Edited)

Gary, I take it that you have seen this thread: https://www.watchuseek.com/f72/chinese-moonphase-watches-785458.html ?? This thread features a few more very nice examples.

Plus, had you come here a little over a year ago, you would have had the opportunity to contribute to (y)our own WUS CMW Moonphase watch.

RonB
That end product was one beautiful watch. I would jump on one if it came up for sale.

And yes I had seen that thread. That was the one I referred to in my opening post where the OP wanted to see non Seagull moon phase watches.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts