WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
2,290 Posts
Nice luckywatch. i have snatched up a couple of those also in the past when Amil was selling them for $1 - $5 for my and my SO's kids. The enthusiasm seems to have waned a bit, perhaps i should wear them. I have narrow wrists so they should fit just fine.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I'm Euan and I'm new. I literally got this on Tuesday from a Russian ebayer and have been trying to get more info about it, every search I do leads me to here so I joined. I love it and can't stop looking at it. Now I want more!

Cadet.JPG

I haven't cleaned the muck off it and it's on the free cheapo strap the seller gave me! I know the dial was probably a darker blue and has faded and I can expect it to fade more, the lume on the hands is gone but I was surprised to see the dots glowing, I'm still not sure if it's even water proof!

·
Registered
693 Posts
I'm Euan and I'm new. I literally got this on Tuesday from a Russian ebayer and have been trying to get more info about it, every search I do leads me to here so I joined. I love it and can't stop looking at it. Now I want more!

View attachment 3603642

I haven't cleaned the muck off it and it's on the free cheapo strap the seller gave me! I know the dial was probably a darker blue and has faded and I can expect it to fade more, the lume on the hands is gone but I was surprised to see the dots glowing, I'm still not sure if it's even water proof!
Welcome to the forum Euan! I have the same watch - your dial is the correct color, I think, at least it's the same as mine, and our watches both appear to be in very good condition. Vostok isn't known for its bright lume, so your experience is typical. I expect everyone here will recommend that you consider any Soviet-era Komandirskie or Amphibian as NOT waterproof unless the rubber seals have been replaced or it has been tested by a watchmaker. The risk is yours to take.

That particular case has been dubbed a "Wren" by a forum member (I just learned) and was thought to have been made for navy women. Regardless of the intended gender, many of us fellows here wear them, particularly those of us with smaller wrists. I don't wear mine because my wife stole it from me. ;)

That strap looks like an original Vostok strap. Most people remove them and set them aside as a collector's curio before putting on a better strap.

Enjoy it!

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter #11

View attachment 3603642

Euan - Welcome to the WUS site and the wonderful world of Russian mechanical watches. Very nice little watch you have there! I second RustyNutsMG's advice regarding water resistance... it isn't! BTY- instructions for modern BoctoK AKA Vostok AKA Wostok watches recommend screwing the crown down between winding & setting the time... apparently moving the stem between setting & positions is a no-no.

The strap is 18mm, a blue or blue/white stripped NATO strap would look great on it.

nitroproof

·
Registered
3,294 Posts
Welcome to the forum Euan! I have the same watch - your dial is the correct color, I think, at least it's the same as mine, and our watches both appear to be in very good condition. Vostok isn't known for its bright lume, so your experience is typical. I expect everyone here will recommend that you consider any Soviet-era Komandirskie or Amphibian as NOT waterproof unless the rubber seals have been replaced or it has been tested by a watchmaker. The risk is yours to take.

That particular case has been dubbed a "Wren" by a forum member (I just learned) and was thought to have been made for navy women. Regardless of the intended gender, many of us fellows here wear them, particularly those of us with smaller wrists. I don't wear mine because my wife stole it from me. ;)

That strap looks like an original Vostok strap. Most people remove them and set them aside as a collector's curio before putting on a better strap.

Enjoy it!
From the evidence I have seen so far the notion that these smaller Vostoks were designed for females or children in mind is urban myth. The marketing material I have seen so far points to them being marketed as 'activity' watches, worn by sporty people. The marketing materials show images of them being sported by adult males. The idea that they were targeted at women by Vostok, from what I can see is a false one.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Thanks for the tips folks, to clarify I meant intended to be waterproof, I read some conflicting information on this case and talk of dolphins but couldn't really resolve it. I'm too long in the tooth to be concerned about wearing a "ladies" watch but Soviet Navy is what I was after so I'm happy. Finding a strap I like is becoming more complicated than finding the exact face, case, back, bezel combo I want! Nato strap it'll probably be at least for now.

·
Registered
693 Posts
From the evidence I have seen so far the notion that these smaller Vostoks were designed for females or children in mind is urban myth. The marketing material I have seen so far points to them being marketed as 'activity' watches, worn by sporty people. The marketing materials show images of them being sported by adult males. The idea that they were targeted at women by Vostok, from what I can see is a false one.
Very interesting, Geoff. It makes more sense; traditional Soviet ladies' watches were very tiny.
Do you happen to have links, or scans of the marketing pieces? (I'm just dead curious to see them.)

·
Registered
486 Posts
While I can't add any official marketing materials to the mix, I do have some anecdotal evidence for the "sports" theory. Last year I came across a pristine Cadet in it's original packaging (unfortunately without papers, which doesn't surprise me given it's "transitional" dial without the country of origin on it.) Here's a photo.

Apart from being in absolutely flawless and most likely unworn condition, it had what I believe to be the original strap, a plastic sports-style band which was as stiff as a board. This particular picture doesn't show it very well, but if you look around 12 you can see some of the molded groove around the band.

Reactions: RustyNutsMGs

·
Registered
3,294 Posts
If my memory serves correctly this was discussed pn another thread about vostok cadets. I think it was Comrade Schnurrp who provided the image from a catalogue. It was of a drawing of a man in sports kit wearing a cadet. I'm not near a pc at the moment so can't find the link. As soon as I can have a look for it I will, or if Paul sees this maybe he can do a repeat. ..

·
Mod. Russian, China Mech.
18,329 Posts
Somehow I've neglected to add Mrs Chascomm's small Vostok to this thread.

Here it is with my Vostoks:

And here it is with most of her other watches:

And what I think is the seller's photo

Attachments

1 - 20 of 32 Posts