WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner
1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I like “tool watches” because they have a job. What are your favorite tool watches and why? Here are my current tools - an older Tag diver and a Tissot diver/chrono. I like the Tag for sentimental reasons and the Tissot looks great on my huge 8.5” wrist.

I just got this Scurfa diver from a great fellow WUSer and love it because it’s ORANGE.
Show us your favorite tool!
Jeff

·
Premium Member
2,666 Posts
I read some explanations once, but still don't quite get the definition of a tool watch. Seems subjective and it could pretty much be anything, depending on the user.

·
Registered
3,497 Posts
Below are the favorite tool watches I have in my current collection as it stands today while I type this. Not watches I may of had in the past or watches I may have in the future.

My favorite beater would probably be

Although not a flieger in the strictest sense, the best I have that I really like is

I guess I could easily say my favorite dive watch is my Sub. But it's not. AS strange as this sounds I'm going with this

A watch keeping time is a function. My favorite timekeeper (not necessarily the best one) is

Although on Monday I have one arriving, I suppose my favorite chronograph is

If I had to choose my favorite all-around tool watch that I'd use for everyday life it would be

·
Registered
712 Posts
I read some explanations once, but still don't quite get the definition of a tool watch. Seems subjective and it could pretty much be anything, depending on the user.
Correct, entirely subjective, tool watches can be any watch. A tool watch to an infantry soldier isn't a tool watch to a pilot, probably isn't a tool watch to a diver and so on. This is like saying 'Show us your favourite non-dress watch': Here's a definition from the interweb, but the author uses a $9k Rolex as an example of a Tool watch (which sort of misses the 'not excessively expensive' bit):

The phrase “tool watch” was originally coined to describe watches that serve as tools to accomplish specific tasks, such as a divers’ watch with a rotatable bezel and high resistance to pressure that is designed to be used underwater. And while you wouldn’t want to use these tool watches to hammer nails, they emphasise functionality and are robust, accurate, legible and (ideally) not excessively expensive in case they suffer a scratch or two during rough usage.

So, show us your favourite watch (that has some functionality - which may simply be nearly unbreakable - other than just telling the time).

·
Registered
5,435 Posts
The true tool watch.

The watch if you're a Tool. Rolex

·
Registered
5,435 Posts
Only about 10% of my collection has Rolex. Does that mean I'm only 10% tool? lmao
Having a Rolex doesn't make you a tool, being a tool makes you buy a Rolex. So do you have a Rolex or are you a toolex?

·
Registered
3,497 Posts
Having a Rolex doesn't make you a tool, being a tool makes you buy a Rolex. So do you have a Rolex or are you a toolex?
I just happen to own a couple out of my modest yet growing collection.

When I started seriously collecting those decades back, I eschewed owning one because of the stigma attached. My first Rolex was a silver dialed 34mm 6694 and learned to appreciate them for what they were. That particular watch was the most stealth watch I think I ever had. It flew totally under the radar. And that was great.

Today I have a Tudor Small Rose with a silver dial that looks almost identical to the 6694 I used to have. It's become one of my favorite daily wearers because it shares may of the same characteristics as that old Rolex. They were also of similar vintage.

I currently have two Rolex in my collection. The one is semi-retired from duty but was a daily for several years. I think I only had it noticed once by a fellow enthusiast (he wore a PO) during that time. My other is a two-tone Turn-O-Graph that might seem a bit glitzy, but is only for my delight. I haven't even worn it outside yet.

Aside from that, I've been a tool from birth. 😁

Reactions: dirtvictim

·
Registered
5,435 Posts
I just happen to own a couple out of my modest yet growing collection.

When I started seriously collecting those decades back, I eschewed owning one because of the stigma attached. My first Rolex was a silver dialed 34mm 6694 and learned to appreciate them for what they were. That particular watch was the most stealth watch I think I ever had. It flew totally under the radar. And that was great.

Today I have a Tudor Small Rose with a silver dial that looks almost identical to the 6694 I used to have. It's become one of my favorite daily wearers because it shares may of the same characteristics as that old Rolex. They were also of similar vintage.

I currently have two Rolex in my collection. The one is semi-retired from duty but was a daily for several years. I think I only had it noticed once by a fellow enthusiast (he wore a PO) during that time. My other is a two-tone Turn-O-Graph that might seem a bit glitzy, but is only for my delight. I haven't even worn it outside yet.

Aside from that, I've been a tool from birth. 😁
Welcome to Tool Time.

·
Registered
5,435 Posts
Reactions: Baka1969

·
Banned
4,239 Posts
That JR is nice! What’s the model name and what’s the diameter and lug to lug?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
It's called a Highlands, reference number is 24004. As I understand they were sold in Italy and Japan. 38mm, 20mm lugs, 45mm total length with an ETA 2824-2 movement.

1 - 20 of 50 Posts